How to score score 700 in 4 months

This forum is dedicated to our GMAT Avengers study group. Connect with fellow test takers and stay up-to-date with the latest Avengers' news. Experts are free to contribute in answering questions.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

How to score score 700 in 4 months

by ronit1894 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:43 am
Hi,

I will start my GMAT preparations in the next week. I am planning to study for 4 months. 2 hours on weekdays and 5 hours on weekends. So around 18 hours a week.
I gave my initial test without studying anything and i scored only 540.
Will i be able to score 680-700 after 4 months of this schedule?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:55 pm
Hi ronit1894,

To start, your first CAT score is good (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so you appear to have given yourself plenty of time to study, which is good. You haven't provided much information in this post though, so before I can offer you the specific advice that you're looking for, it would help if you could answer a few questions:

1) What were the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on this CAT?
2) Did you take the FULL CAT (with the Essay and IR sections)?
3) What study materials do you currently have?

4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) Have you thought about which Schools you want to apply to?

Thankfully, the GMAT is a predictable, standardized Test, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by ronit1894 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:52 pm
Hi Rich,
Thanks for the reply.
Answering your questions:

1: Q33 V41, I think i scored less in Quant because I have forgotten all the formulas and concepts. I will have to polish myself again.
2: Yes, I gave the Full CAT[Available in GMAT Prep software]
3: I am starting to take classes from one of the Coaching institute. I have Manhatten Books, official guide, plus all the notes and pdfs provide by the institute.
4: I am planning to give GMAT in Jan or Feb. So this depends if I will be lucky enough to apply for the August/September batch 2017. I could go for 2018 also.
5: Yes, I am planning to go to Canada. So I have shortlisted some B schools like Rotman School [University of Toronto], HEC Montreal, Queen School [Kingston], Schulich School of Business, Ivey and desautels.

by ronit1894 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:56 pm
And I am actually not sure about the Scaled scores. I don't know how to exactly calculate them.

But I had 22 out of 41 correct in Verbal, and 21 Out of 37 correct in Quant and only 2 out 12 correct in IR :P

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members

by MartyMurray » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:17 pm
Hi Ronit.

Going from 540 to 700 in four months is totally doable, especially if you have been familiar with some of the concepts and just need to brush up.

At the same time, many people flail around and don't make much progress, because they don't prepare effectively. So you could stall and not hit your goal in that time if you don't train in ways that will actually cause your skills to improve.

Here are some things that people do that keep their scores from increasing.

- They prepare for the GMAT as if it were a math and English test. So rather than learning to work to answers, they work on learning lots of stuff, thinking that if they know enough stuff they will score high.

- They do practice questions on a timed basis all of the time. The problem with doing that is that you have to learn to get to answers, and clearly in the beginning you won't necessarily always get the answers in the two to three minutes you would want to use when taking the actual test. So the way to prepare effectively is to not worry too much about time spent per question when you are practicing. You are better off taking your time and figuring out how to get to answers.

- They become explanation junkies, thinking that if they read enough explanations they will score high. The truth is that after a certain point, reading explanations is not all that useful. What you really have to do is to learn to figure out explanations on your own, not just follow what someone else did. So yes, explanations can provide insight, but to score high you have to actively train to become good at generating your own explanations.

- They retake the same practice tests multiple times, thinking that if they just "know how to do everything" they will score high on the GMAT. The truth is that much of scoring high on the GMAT involves being good at finding the answers to NEW questions. You will never know how to do everything, because there will always be new twists in the questions. What you have to become good at is dealing with new twists.

So to drive your score up to the 700 level within the next four months, be sure to train to see what you have to see and to become good at figuring out how to get to answers. The GMAT is not a test of knowledge. It's a test of skill in using information to find answers and make decisions. So prepare accordingly.
Last edited by MartyMurray on Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

by ronit1894 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:20 pm
Thank you Marty,

This was really helpful :)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Knitgeek » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:06 am
Hey Ronit,

To echo Marty, I went from a 500 to 700 in just over 3 and half months so yes totally doable. I won't spurt off advice as the experts pretty much know how to say what I would suggest way more eloquently than me, but if you ever want to chat, I'm a fellow Canadian (West Coaster though) and just went through most of the same prep you'll be facing down. :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:40 am
Hi ronit1894,

The Scaled Scores for each section are provided for you (they're numbers between 0 and 60) and they help to define your performance as well as the areas that you would likely need to work on to improve. The two numbers that you've provided would NOT lead to a 540 though, so some part of that data is 'off.' That having been said, since you're enrolled in a Course, it would make sense for you to proceed with that schedule. Take CATs at regular intervals and track your progress. If, after a couple of months, you're not seeing any meaningful progress, then you'll still have time to make the necessary adjustments and improve.

Rich

by ronit1894 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:14 am
Hi Rich,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have attached the score of my 1st test [Without preparing].
So it comes out to be: Q42 v23.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:21 am
Hi ronit1894,

This extra information is helpful, since a Q42/V23 is a considerably different result form a Q33/V41. The V23 means that you're going to have make some significant improvements to how you handle the Verbal section (as opposed to a V41, which would imply that you were above the 90th percentile in that section).

Rich

by ronit1894 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:29 am
Hi Rich,

I have somehow figured out my weakness and areas of improvement. I have just begun my studies so i Think i will follow the schedule and will definitely try my level best to fall in the 90th percentile of Verbal as well.

Thanks.