Scored 540 ..Need help to formulate strategy for retake

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
HI All,
I took Gmat today and score 540 today.My section scores are as follows :-
1.IR - 5
2.Quant -41
3.Verbal - 23

Time was serious issue.I guessed 8-10 questions out of last 12 in quant and i guess last 5 in verbal.I will be sharing ESR report soon
I studied below :-
1.MGMAT Quant Books/GMAT PREPNOW free videos for quant +OG13 All quant Questions
2.MGMAT SC +0G-13 1-50 SC questions
3.POWERSCORE CR Bible + OG-13 ALL CR Questions
4.RC- Nothing

Practice:-
1 mock test :-GMAT PREP (Scored 560 there :- V-27 Quant-40)

I am a non-native speaker .Can the experts please help me in advising how do i approach Gmat now.

I have following questions:-
1.Do i need to follow some extra study materials
2.How much time should i be looking to devote now considering i took almost 3 months to complete above material
3.How do i find time to work on set of last 10-12 questions in both quant and verbal -will practice suffice for that ?Or do i need to visit concepts again

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:59 am
Hi Anantjit,

Given the one practice CAT that you took, your Official GMAT Score makes sense. The pacing issue that you've described does not exist on it's own - it's the result of OTHER issues. To score at a significantly higher level, you're likely going to need to invest in some new practice materials and learn/practice some new Tactics. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you're looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) Did you have a typical study routine each week (Did you study on certain days and at certain times? Were you consistent of did your routine change from week to week?)

2) What is your goal score?
3) When are you planning to retake the GMAT?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:51 am
Hi Anantjit.

Even though you have already been working on this project for three months, you have more work to do.

For one thing, in order to score higher in verbal, and to not have to guess on so many questions, you have to do some work on RC.

For quant, assuming that you have basically covered most question types, you now have to work topic by topic, driving your score up point by point.

Along the way, you have to take more practice tests and to USE THE RESULTS OF THE TESTS, along with the ESR, to guide your preparation going forward.

Whatever types of quant questions you find challenging, work on each type in turn until you are totally adept at finding answers to questions of that type. As you get better at finding answers, you will naturally get through the quant section more quickly.

Work on verbal in a similar fashion, determining what you have to get better at order to score higher.

You may have to review some concepts or ideas.

You may mostly need more practice at working your way to answers.

You have to figure out what the case is, and to structure your preparation according to what you find, basing what you do to prepare on what you have to become more effective at in order to score higher.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:55 am
Hi Anantjit,

Based on the scores of your practice exam and real GMAT, as well as your timing issues on your GMAT, it appears as if you did not fully learn the content tested on the GMAT prior to taking your exam. If you are shooting for a 700+ GMAT score, you may consider giving yourself 3+ months to study and also adjusting your study routine.

When considering how to adjust your study routine, you must realize that the GMAT is such a challenging exam because there are relatively few questions asked on a given exam, yet those questions come from a huge topic pool. Thus, the best way to get a great GMAT score is to have a thorough understanding of all the topics that may be tested on the exam. To develop such mastery, you want to strive for linear and targeted learning and follow that with focused practice. In other words, you want to master one topic before you move to the next. Have you been able to study in this way?

For example, if you are learning about Number Properties, you should learn everything possible about that topic: LCM, GCF, units digit patterns, divisibility, remainders, etc. After that, be sure that you practice with a lot of questions (50 or more) just on Number Properties. The results of that practice will help you to determine how well you have truly mastered that topic.

For verbal you will want to follow a similar study routine; focus on learning one section at a time: reading comprehension, sentence correction, or critical reasoning. For example, when learning about critical reasoning, you want to be able to cover all aspects of critical reasoning: strengthen and weaken the conclusion, resolve the paradox, find the conclusion, must be true, etc. Follow up your learning with focused critical reasoning practice so you can determine your specific weaknesses within that topic. You should follow a similar routine for sentence correction and reading comprehension.

I also see that you have been using books for your GMAT prep. Have you considered using a self-study course? In comparison to GMAT prep books, self-study courses typically provide detailed study plans and have granular analytics, so you can easily track your progress as you move through the course. By being able to track your progress, you will remain more engaged, and you'll be able to more accurately forecast when you are ready to take your real GMAT. If you would like to learn more about what online resources are available, check out the verified course reviews on Beat The GMAT. After doing some research, you should be able to find a course that is a good fit for you.

Lastly, feel free to read my article that provides some actionable steps that you can follow to achieve a 700+ on your GMAT.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage