Advice on target schools

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Advice on target schools

by MBA23 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:19 pm
Hi,

I am a MBA hopeful and would like some advice on my profile.

Profile:
1) 30 year old Male - Dual citizen (Lived primarily in the US). Speak two languages fluently (English, Arabic).
2) Education: Small SUNY state school - BS in Management - 3.32 (Strong trend upwards).
3) GMAT: 730 (49, 41), IR - 7/8.
4) Experience (Chronologically starting after/during college): Internship at a small asset management firm. One year as a proprietary trader. One year international SWF experience as an investment analyst. Two and a half years as a proprietary trader. 2013-Present, during which I would consider myself self-employed, as a part time (active - 3 years with same firm - we work mainly on Google search engine algorithm testing) "consultant", part time tutor (around a year total), small business owner (active - online sales - 50-100K revenue).
5) Extracurriculars/Interests: I passed all three levels of the CFA Program. I work on software development during my free time. I am active in local basketball leagues and sustained fitness training. One year active volunteer work with a well known local organization. Past international volunteer work and projects.
6) Recommendations: One from a client (local small business owner that I have worked with for the past two years liquidating overstock). The other from the volunteer organization I have been working with the past year (I have worked with so many different people here so the recommendation will be from the organization-wide coordinator of volunteers).

My post MBA goal is to continue working in the technology field, possibly with a hybrid tech/finance company or strictly technology company would be great as well. An MBA would help to achieve this goal due to the powerful network, batch of like-minded teammate/business partner options and hands-on business education.

My main question/goal of this post is to determine what schools I should target and/or if my target schools are appropriate.

I have begun some essays and would like to start working on target essays/research immediately.

My target schools (current options that I'd like to cut down to 5-6) are:
1) Fuqua
2) Booth (Reach)
3) Wharton (Reach)
4) Tepper
5) Ross
6) Darden
7) Columbia
8) Johnson
9) Stern

Let me know your thoughts. I appreciate your time. Thanks so much.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:43 am
MBA23 wrote:Hi,
Hi MBA23, thanks for reaching out and let me make some comments below.
I am a MBA hopeful and would like some advice on my profile.

Profile:
1) 30 year old Male - Dual citizen (Lived primarily in the US). Speak two languages fluently (English, Arabic).
2) Education: Small SUNY state school - BS in Management - 3.32 (Strong trend upwards).
3) GMAT: 730 (49, 41), IR - 7/8.
4) Experience (Chronologically starting after/during college): Internship at a small asset management firm. One year as a proprietary trader. One year international SWF experience as an investment analyst. Two and a half years as a proprietary trader. 2013-Present, during which I would consider myself self-employed, as a part time (active - 3 years with same firm - we work mainly on Google search engine algorithm testing) "consultant", part time tutor (around a year total), small business owner (active - online sales - 50-100K revenue).
5) Extracurriculars/Interests: I passed all three levels of the CFA Program. I work on software development during my free time. I am active in local basketball leagues and sustained fitness training. One year active volunteer work with a well known local organization. Past international volunteer work and projects.
6) Recommendations: One from a client (local small business owner that I have worked with for the past two years liquidating overstock). The other from the volunteer organization I have been working with the past year (I have worked with so many different people here so the recommendation will be from the organization-wide coordinator of volunteers).

My post MBA goal is to continue working in the technology field, possibly with a hybrid tech/finance company or strictly technology company would be great as well. An MBA would help to achieve this goal due to the powerful network, batch of like-minded teammate/business partner options and hands-on business education.

My main question/goal of this post is to determine what schools I should target and/or if my target schools are appropriate.

I have begun some essays and would like to start working on target essays/research immediately.

My target schools (current options that I'd like to cut down to 5-6) are:
1) Fuqua
2) Booth (Reach)
3) Wharton (Reach)
4) Tepper
5) Ross
6) Darden
7) Columbia
8) Johnson
9) Stern

Let me know your thoughts. I appreciate your time. Thanks so much.
So for sure I would keep Ross- as they have been very active with Amazon recruiting -https://poetsandquants.com/2015/11/06/am ... e-at-ross/, But I'd also look at this article that talks about top MBA programs for technology: https://www.thestreet.com/story/1338730 ... anies.html From your list, I'd keep Fuqua, Ross, Darden and keep Booth as your stretch. Think about adding for safety U Wash (Foster), and then also look at McCombs, UCLA
Best wishes- and if you want a free profile review from us please go here to do that! https://stratusprep.com/free-consult/

by MBA23 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:20 pm
Thank you so much, Donna. I will be in touch.

Followed by:4 members

by 99Colleges: MBA Admission » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:07 am
Hi MBA 23,

Although tech companies in U.S. recruit across geographies, they've a bias toward schools located in the West coast, of course with exceptions. For example, 31% of the class of 2015 at UCLA joined tech industry (28% for the class of 2014) and 38% of the class of 2015 at Haas (43% for the class of 2014). That's unusually high percent of an MBA class for tech industry (a good % for the industry is 15+).

There are definitely exceptions:
  • 1. On the East coast, MIT stands out for tech recruitment
  • 2. Microsoft recruited plenty at Duke in 2015
  • 3. Amazon recruits in large numbers at couple of schools of which Ross stands out. It has been the largest recruiter (full-time as well as internships) at Ross for the past two years, beating McKinsey in 2015 by a huge margin, which is kind of bizarre
  • 4. And more...
Now, coming to your question, I'm not sure what you mean by hybrid tech/ finance. You either join a tech company in a finance role or a finance company in a tech role (for the latter option, MBA is not the path). May be you're considering a Senior Financial Analyst type role at Amazon.

If your priority is tech industry, then, as discussed above, you may include few West-coast schools such as UCLA and Haas. Duke too is fine from that perspective. And Tepper has the tech influence of its University.

Last and the least, UCLA, Haas, and Duke are good for consulting recruitment too. Although it's not your priority, many MBA students change their plans once they see plethora of options on campus. Just in case you get bit confused, you've a neutral path of consulting to follow at least in the short term.
Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant
--------------------------------------
Consulting| Contact at [email protected] for your queries on MBA Admissions
And if you couldn't make it earlier, get a free ding analysis

by MBA23 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:16 pm
Hi,

Thanks for the response, Anil.

By hybrid tech/finance company, I meant a technology company that is trying to disrupt in one way or another, the finance industry. An example would be "Betterment". I know it's a very specific goal, and I am not sure if that is optimal in the eyes of the admissions committees, however I am trying to draft a strategy/story that fits most with my career jump from finance to technology. I understand wholly that anything can happen if and once I reach a school.

My preference is to stay on the East coast, most preferably at NYU. I have my NYU essays written, but I am beginning to worry that my focus in the essays on getting into an e-commerce or technology role may not fit with what types of companies/industries recruit at the school. Given that my profile isn't very strong to begin with, I definitely need my essays to portray an image of being a perfect fit.

To be honest, I have considered not applying to any West coast schools at all. My main issue is that the other strong NYC school, Columbia, is likely too far out of reach, so if I do get accepted somewhere, I may have to leave New York anyway.

As of right now, I have cut my list down to:

1) Stern
2) Darden
3) Ross
4) Booth
5) Johnson/Tepper/Fuqua (Likely Tepper & Fuqua)

UCLA, Haas and the West coast would be very interesting, but I have a family and a home here in New York, so unless it was for a great career, or Stanford of course, I don't think I would be willing to make that jump.

Thanks again. I appreciate your time.

Followed by:4 members

by 99Colleges: MBA Admission » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:17 pm
I understand your position. Larger considerations, geography being one of them, override smaller ones.

Fit is important, no doubt, and if you're trying to achieve something (post-MBA career, I mean) that's uncommon at the school, add details, show why you're in a strong position to achieve the goal because of your professional/ personal work and network till date.
Last edited by 99Colleges: MBA Admission on Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant
Consulting| Contact at [email protected] for your queries on MBA Admissions
And if you couldn't make it earlier, get a free ding analysis

by uniq01 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:27 pm
MBA23,

Why do you say your profile is not very strong to begin with? Try not to self-eliminate if you're really interested in a school and think it could be a good fit. The prior responses give you good information to help with your decision-making, but I also suggest you visit your top 5 schools and ask to be connected with recent alums who may be able to give you their perspectives. In addition, attend school events (especially those hosted in your city) and sign up for class visits and campus tours.

While some schools have higher recruitment rates for certain companies, I think it's just as important to position yourself with a program that's a fit for you from an alum network, curriculum, and overall student experience perspective. In the event your career goals change while in Bschool, you'd want to be in a program that has a broad reach with respect to employers. Identify 5-6 of the most critical factors that will influence your school choice and rate them for each of the 5 schools on your list. This will allow you to objectively compare your options, so you can clearly see which aligns the best with your goals and priorities.

As a Booth grad, I'd be happy to give you my perspective from my own experience. Ultimately, you will need to have a few conversations and meet with the schools to see where the best fit lies - bear in mind, this will also help shape your essay(s) and story as you complete the applications.

Best of luck!
uniqMBA Admissions Consulting
https://www.uniqmba.com
Follow @uniqmba

Contact us for a free initial consultation!

by MBA23 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:31 pm
I feel that my profile is weak for two reasons mainly:
1) Lack of Fortune 500 experience.
2) Undergraduate degree.

Otherwise, I am confident in myself, and hope I get an opportunity to showcase that confidence in the interviews.

Many people I have spoken to have also told me not to self-eliminate. I have though self-eliminated several schools, such as Columbia and Booth. I really am not sure how to accurately gauge my candidacy, which has led me to self-eliminate perceived difficult to reach schools.

I plan on visiting as many of the schools I am applying to as possible. I appreciate your advice and message.

by uniq01 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:25 pm
Ok, understood. It makes sense to narrow down your list to the schools you think are the best fit, and where you think you have chances of getting admitted. However, keep in mind people have been admitted to top schools as professional athletes, musicians, teachers and so on ie zero Fortune 500 experience. It's really about what you have done in your career, and how that has allowed you to learn, grow (hopefully gain recognition for exceptional performance) and ultimately bring you to this point of considering an MBA.

It's less about 1 or 2 perceived isolated weak areas of your application, and more about how you have been able to connect the dots and demonstrate your ability to do well in the program. Remember, the AdComs are looking at your application in a holistic manner so some stronger aspects could make up for slightly weaker ones along the same category.

Perhaps attending school events and speaking with Admissions officers will adjust your perceptions and help guide your decisions.
uniqMBA Admissions Consulting
https://www.uniqmba.com
Follow @uniqmba

Contact us for a free initial consultation!