Study Plan for my GMAT (Urgent)

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Study Plan for my GMAT (Urgent)

by [email protected] » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:37 am
Good Evening,

I have registered for GMAT on October 25th, 2016 so I need help to put a flexible study plan.

I have 75 days left, and I bought GMAT Official Guide 2016 and KAPLAN Premier 2016.
I subscribed before with 60-days GMAT provided by this website and I have all their e-mails.

actually I don't know how or where to start, so your feedback will be highly appreciated.

I had two GMAT tests before, missed the first and scored below 300 in the second.
is this score very bad as I think?

I hope your replies can help me in my third attempt.

waiting your responses
khaled

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:02 pm
Hi khaled,

You posted this in another Forum on this site, so I've copied over my response from there:

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so 75 days might not be enough time. Since you've taken the GMAT twice already, I'd like to know a bit more about how you studied for your prior attempts and your overall goals:

1) What materials did you use for each attempt?
2) When was your last attempt at the GMAT?

3) What is your goal score?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by [email protected] » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:30 am
Hi Rich,

1) I subscribed to this website 60-Days GMAT study plan along with the GMAT Official Guide 2016.
2) My last attempt was on 11 May 2016.

3) goal score 600.
4) I am planning to apply to business schools at beginning of the next year.

Khaled

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:22 am
Hi Khaled,

When was the last time you took a FULL-LENGTH CAT (with the Essay and IR sections)? If you have not taken one since the last time you took the GMAT (in May), then you should plan to take one soon (perhaps this weekend). That score result will give us an idea of how well your studies have been going and what you still specifically need to work on.

A goal score of 600 is relatively modest, but raising a sub-300 score up to that level will take some serious time and effort. Since you're not applying to Business School until next year, do you have the flexibility to push back your Test Date, if needed?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:22 members

by Jeff@TargetTestPrep » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:09 pm
Hi Khaled, because you scored a 300 on your last GMAT attempt, it appears that you lack the foundational knowledge you need to begin improving your GMAT score. Furthermore, to increase your score by 300 points, it could take as long as 4+ months of dedicated study.

Before providing some more specific advice, I would like some more insight into your GMAT preparation.

1) Describe how you prepared for your first two GMAT attempts. What resources did you use? For how long did you study? Did you learn each topic one at a time or focus more on doing practice questions?

2) Have you been studying for the GMAT since May, or did you take a break after your last attempt?

3) Could you provide me with the score breakdown of your previous GMAT attempt as well as any official MBA.com practice exams that you have completed since then?

4) Have you considered using an online self-study course, in addition to your GMAT books?

5) Since you have some time before your applications are due, are you open to pushing back your test date?

Once I have this information, I can probably give you more personalized guidance that may help you get on track toward your GMAT score goal.

Jeffrey Miller
Head of GMAT Instruction
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

by [email protected] » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:46 am
Hi Rich,

I have not taken a Full-English CAT since last attempt (May 2016), but I am considering take one today and I will let you know my results.

yeah, I can push back my Test Date, if needed.

Khaled

by [email protected] » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:24 am
Hi Jeff,

Actually it's one attempt because I have missed one.
My main source for preparation was the 60-Days GMAT Study Plan provided by this website along with GMAT Official Guide 2016, but I can assure you that it was very bad as I have studied only some lessons, I do a few practice questions for what I have studied. I studied for less than one month.
That's why when I went for the exam I wasn't well-prepared.

This time I will do my best to improve my score to reach my goal.

I didn't study since May 2016.

I took two GMATPrep Exams, the score as follows:
1)First GMATPrep Exam :

Quantitative 17

Verbal 12

IR 1
Overall Score (290)

2) Second GMATPrep Exam :

Quantitative 17

Verbal 6

IR 3
Overall Score (230)
The only Official Test I took so far, I scored (245) but I don't remember the breakdown as I have cancelled that score.

Yes, i have studied using an online self-study course (60-Days GMAT Study Plan)but, I wasn't dedicated to it,means i studied only some lessons with practices.

I have bought KAPLAN Premier 2016 recently as i thought it could help me.

sure i can push back my test if needed.

Khaled

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Jennifer@Kaplan » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:04 pm
Hi Khaled,

The Kaplan GMAT Premier 2016 book that you have will cover all of the topics that you need to know for the GMAT. Improving your score will require consistent study of the topics in the book, and there are practice questions with each section to reinforce what you have studied. You will also have access to 5 online CATs to use for testing practice, and I encourage you to take the full CAT each time, including the Analytical Writing and Integrated Reasoning sections, to prepare for the full length focus required by the GMAT.

A good place to start is with taking one of those full-length CATs. Then you can use the online Performance Summary tools to identify the top areas that you need to review. You will also have full explanations for every question that you face to help you learn from the experience. Based on your starting point, you will benefit from studying all of the topics, but the CAT can give you information about your current abilities so that you can keep that in mind as you work through the topics.

Taking a CAT every couple of weeks will help you evaluate how you are progressing so that you can monitor how much longer you may need to continue studying. Kaplan encourages 3 months of study time to prepare for the GMAT, and for an improvement of over 300 points, you may need to allow more time. You might also benefit from something more structured than self-study, but I encourage you to check out your materials and adjust as necessary depending on your progress. You can also find some of our additional resources for study, including free events, at kaplangmat.com

Best,
Jennifer Kindy