The yield per acre of coffee berries varies

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members
GMAT Score:540
The yield per acre of coffee berries varies enormously in that a single tree,
depending on both its size and on climate and altitude, could produce
enough
berries to make between one and twelve pounds of dried beans a year.

A. enormously in that a single tree, depending on both its size and on climate and altitude, could produce
B. enormously in that a single tree, dependent on its size and also on climate and altitude, is able to produce
C. enormously, because a single tree, depending on its size and on climate and altitude, is able to produce
D. enormously, because a single tree, being dependent on its size, climate, and altitude, is capable of producing
E. enormously, because a single tree, dependent both on its size as well as on climate and altitude, could produce

Can anyone please help me explain this question with proper reasoning.
Expert help is deeply appreciated.
Sahil Chaudhary
If you find this post helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Thank" icon.
https://www.sahilchaudhary007.blocked

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:650

by theCodeToGMAT » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:10 pm
Is the answer [spoiler]{C}[/spoiler]?

{A} - INCORRECT; parallelism issue "on both its size and on climate and altitude"
{B} - INCORRECT; "in that" doesn't provide the exact meaning.. "because" does
{C} - CORRECT
{D} - INCORRECT; "being" is not needed.
{E} - INCORRECT; "could" means not 100% sure.. that doesn't go with meaning of the sentence
R A H U L

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:31 pm
Hi sahilchaudhary,

Many SCs include "splits" (ways to "group" answers based on a particular word or phrase). These splits can make eliminating answers a quick process.

This SC has some obvious splits that can help you to choose the correct answer.

1) "Depending" vs. "dependent": the sentence needs a verb - "depending" is a verb, "dependent" is an adjective. Eliminate B, D and E

2) The word "both": this word implies 2 things are factors, but the sentence lists 3 things ("size", "climate" and "altitude"). Eliminate A

Final Answer: C

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by AbhiS » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:28 am
[email protected] wrote:
2) The word "both": this word implies 2 things are factors, but the sentence lists 3 things ("size", "climate" and "altitude"). Eliminate A

Rich
HI Rich,

Please correct me if I am wrong.

In the sentence I think there are 2 things are factors:
1) on its size and
2)on climate and altitude

The correct option C has this format, if there were 3 things that were factors than
1) we would have required ON before altitude, moreover
2) reason I have a doubt here is because AND is used 2 times trying to state - on X is parallel with on Y & Z, in which Y & Z are parallel elements on their own.
------

In option A. I think this is wrong because its not following proper parallelism (leaving aside the other issues in the sentence)

on both its size and on climate and altitude

''ON'' appears before both so the 2nd ''ON'' after ''AND'' and before climate is not required as it breaks the rule of parallelism.

If this part of sentence read - both on its size and on climate and altitude - i think it would be OK.

---------

Your reasoning have left me confused, please throw some light.

Thanks and Rgds,
Abhi

Followed by:7 members
GMAT Score:540

by sahilchaudhary » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:40 pm
AbhiS wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Rich
HI Rich,

Please correct me if I am wrong.

In the sentence I think there are 2 things are factors:
1) on its size and
2)on climate and altitude

The correct option C has this format, if there were 3 things that were factors than
1) we would have required ON before altitude, moreover
2) reason I have a doubt here is because AND is used 2 times trying to state - on X is parallel with on Y & Z, in which Y & Z are parallel elements on their own.
------

In option A. I think this is wrong because its not following proper parallelism (leaving aside the other issues in the sentence)

on both its size and on climate and altitude

''ON'' appears before both so the 2nd ''ON'' after ''AND'' and before climate is not required as it breaks the rule of parallelism.

If this part of sentence read - both on its size and on climate and altitude - i think it would be OK.

---------

Your reasoning have left me confused, please throw some light.

Thanks and Rgds,
Abhi
Hi Abhi,

Option A states that "on both its size and on climate and altitude", but it is incorrect since we always say both X and Y where X and Y must be parallel. Here X = "its size" and Y = "on climate and altitude" are not parallel. So option A is incorrect.

I think both on its size and on climate and altitude is correct, but I am not sure.

Experts please confirm.

I would highly recommend everyone to watch this video on parallelism by Ron.

https://vimeo.com/33617817
Sahil Chaudhary
If you find this post helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Thank" icon.
https://www.sahilchaudhary007.blocked

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members

by lunarpower » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:45 am
sahilchaudhary wrote:The yield per acre of coffee berries varies enormously in that a single tree,
depending on both its size and on climate and altitude, could produce
enough
berries to make between one and twelve pounds of dried beans a year.

A. enormously in that a single tree, depending on both its size and on climate and altitude, could produce
B. enormously in that a single tree, dependent on its size and also on climate and altitude, is able to produce
C. enormously, because a single tree, depending on its size and on climate and altitude, is able to produce
D. enormously, because a single tree, being dependent on its size, climate, and altitude, is capable of producing
E. enormously, because a single tree, dependent both on its size as well as on climate and altitude, could produce

Can anyone please help me explain this question with proper reasoning.
Expert help is deeply appreciated.
I received a private message about this thread.

Sahil -- I can't tell what issues you are having with the problem. Please ask specific questions -- What do you already understand? What don't you understand? Which specific constructions / aspects of the sentence do you have questions about?

(You are correct that choice A contains non-parallelism.)
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:760

by ilyana » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:04 am
This problem is discussed in detail here:
https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/the ... -t649.html
Please click on "Thank" button if you think my post is helpful.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/ilyana-anderson-481846127/

Followed by:1 members

by ngalinh » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:16 am
I exactly read "both on its size and on climate", (not "on both its size and on climate"). Does wearing double-check glasses help? :(

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members

by lunarpower » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:49 am
ngalinh wrote:I exactly read "both on its size and on climate", (not "on both its size and on climate"). Does wearing double-check glasses help? :(
If you could make "double-check glasses", you certainly wouldn't need an MBA to make it big with that.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Followed by:1 members

by ngalinh » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:39 pm
lunar power wrote:
If you could make "double-check glasses", you certainly wouldn't need an MBA to make it big with that.
Ron, what are you talking about? That's what I am thinking every single day!
(You may joke, but I'd like to interpret it in this way)

I cannot create double-check glasses, but I'm passionate/hungry to create another thing that also benefits others and me, of course :) . High tech products vs. media products. You actually unintentionally contributed a big part to my idea through your posts replying to mine. Also, through your posts, I could see my own insight about the issue I was thinking of. So, I intended to send the draft to you to ask for your opinion, but postponed to do so a couple of times because I thought it was not completed.

by gocoder » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:21 am
[email protected] wrote:Hi sahilchaudhary,

1) "Depending" vs. "dependent": the sentence needs a verb - "depending" is a verb, "dependent" is an adjective. Eliminate B, D and E
I want to understand the difference between the role of "Depending" vs. "dependent" here.
Does "depending" act as a VERB+ing modifier/adjectivial modifier and how is it different from "dependent" ?
If not, how does the presence of verb["depending" is a verb] affect the meaning here ?