Manhan Prep 6th edit pg.79 #15 subordinating conjunction

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi, all

Please throw some lights about this question in Manhattan Prep 6th edition pg.79 #15.

Most legislators-including many in the governor's own party-realize that the governor's budget would imperil the state's finances; nonetheless, the budget is likely to be approved, because few legislators want to anger voters by cutting spending or raising taxed.

My question is , because few legislators want to anger voters by cutting spending or raising taxed. Why is there a comma in front of because?

The official explanation is: Because is a subordinating conjunction; therefore, it can be separated from a main clause by a comma.

1. If I remove the comma here in this sentence, is it still correct?
2. A random example: I am tall because I drink a lot of milk. In this sentence, it should be correct. But do we also need to add a comma in front of because? If no, experts please clarify the differences.

Appreciated. :)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:21 am
toro86717498 wrote:Hi, all

Please throw some lights about this question in Manhattan Prep 6th edition pg.79 #15.

Most legislators-including many in the governor's own party-realize that the governor's budget would imperil the state's finances; nonetheless, the budget is likely to be approved, because few legislators want to anger voters by cutting spending or raising taxed.

My question is , because few legislators want to anger voters by cutting spending or raising taxed. Why is there a comma in front of because?

The official explanation is: Because is a subordinating conjunction; therefore, it can be separated from a main clause by a comma.

1. If I remove the comma here in this sentence, is it still correct?
2. A random example: I am tall because I drink a lot of milk. In this sentence, it should be correct. But do we also need to add a comma in front of because? If no, experts please clarify the differences.

Appreciated. :)
The GMAT is not a test of punctuation.
The correct answer to an SC will never depend on whether a comma should or should not appear before a because-clause.
Do not worry about this issue.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by toro86717498 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:33 am
Hi, Mitch

Thanks for your thoughts. I got it.

Wish you the best.