Leaf beetles damage willow trees by stripping away their lea

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Which of the following most logically completes the passage?

Leaf beetles damage willow trees by stripping away their leaves, but a combination of parasites and predators generally keeps populations of these beetles in check. Researchers have found that severe air pollution results in reduced predator populations. The parasites, by contrast, are not adversely affected by pollution; nevertheless, the researchers' discovery probably does explain why leaf beetles cause particularly severe damage to willows in areas with severe air pollution, since __________.

A. neither the predators nor the parasites of leaf beetles themselves attack willow trees
B. the parasites that attack leaf beetles actually tend to be more prevalent in areas with severe air pollution than they are elsewhere
C. the damage caused by leaf beetles is usually not enough to kill a willow tree outright
D. where air pollution is not especially severe, predators have much more impact on leaf-beetle populations than parasites do
E. willows often grow in areas where air pollution is especially severe

Please explain

OG Verbal 2017 New Question(Book Question: 146)
What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by NandishSS » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:35 pm
AbdurRakib wrote:Which of the following most logically completes the passage?

Leaf beetles damage willow trees by stripping away their leaves, but a combination of parasites and predators generally keeps populations of these beetles in check. Researchers have found that severe air pollution results in reduced predator populations. The parasites, by contrast, are not adversely affected by pollution; nevertheless, the researchers' discovery probably does explain why leaf beetles cause particularly severe damage to willows in areas with severe air pollution, since __________.

A. neither the predators nor the parasites of leaf beetles themselves attack willow trees
B. the parasites that attack leaf beetles actually tend to be more prevalent in areas with severe air pollution than they are elsewhere
C. the damage caused by leaf beetles is usually not enough to kill a willow tree outright
D. where air pollution is not especially severe, predators have much more impact on leaf-beetle populations than parasites do

Please explain

OG Verbal 2017 New Question(Book Question: 146)
Hi GMATGuruNY / ceilidh.erickson / DavidG@VeritasPrep ,

What is wrong in option B

Thanks
Nandish

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:17 am

Fact 1: Of the two elements that keep leaf beetle populations in check -- predators and parasites -- only predators are adversely affected by severe air pollution.
Fact 2: In areas with severe air pollution, leaf beetles cause particularly severe damage to willows.

The correct answer choice must explain why leaf beetles cause particularly severe damage to willows in areas with severe air pollution, even though air pollution does not adversely affect parasites.

D: Predators have much more impact on leaf-beetle populations than parasites do.
Here, predators are MORE IMPORTANT than parasites, explaining why parasites alone are not able to prevent leaf beetles from damaging willows in areas with severe air pollution.

The correct answer is D.

B: The parasites that attack leaf beetles actually tend to be more prevalent in areas with severe air pollution than they are elsewhere.
Implication:
In areas with severe air pollution, the prevalence of parasites should be sufficient to prevent leaf beetles from damaging willows -- CONTRADICTING FACT 2, which indicates particularly severe damage in these areas.
A fact is a statement not in dispute; it cannot be contradicted.
Eliminate B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:20 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:

Fact 1: Of the two elements that keep leaf beetle populations in check -- predators and parasites -- only predators are adversely affected by severe air pollution.
Fact 2: In areas with severe air pollution, leaf beetles cause particularly severe damage to willows.

The correct answer choice must explain why leaf beetles cause particularly severe damage to willows in areas with severe air pollution, even though air pollution does not adversely affect parasites.

D: Predators have much more impact on leaf-beetle populations than parasites do.
Here, predators are MORE IMPORTANT than parasites, explaining why parasites alone are not able to prevent leaf beetles from damaging willows in areas with severe air pollution.

The correct answer is D.

B: The parasites that attack leaf beetles actually tend to be more prevalent in areas with severe air pollution than they are elsewhere.
Implication:
In areas with severe air pollution, the prevalence of parasites should be sufficient to prevent leaf beetles from damaging willows -- CONTRADICTING FACT 2, which indicates particularly severe damage in these areas.
A fact is a statement not in dispute; it cannot be contradicted.
Eliminate B.
Dear Mitch,

How can I negate the OA to check if it is correct answer? Should l I negate also 'where air pollution is not especially severe'??
Thanks

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:46 am
Mo2men wrote:Dear Mitch,

How can I negate the OA to check if it is correct answer? Should l I negate also 'where air pollution is not especially severe'??
Thanks
The negation test is applicable only to CRs that ask for an answer choice that MUST BE TRUE: assumption CRs and inference CRs.
This CR does not ask for an assumption or an inference.
Here, the correct answer must EXPLAIN why leaf beetles cause particularly severe damage to willows in areas with severe air pollution.
Since many explanations are possible, the one offered in the OA is NOT a statement that MUST be true.
Thus, the negation test is not applicable.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by RBBmba@2014 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:48 am
Hi Experts,
Got a quick question on the OA:

Here, the Option D states that "where air pollution is NOT especially severe predators have much more impact than parasites ", but per the passage, I guess, we're concerned with the areas where air pollution is severe. Isn't it ?

So, how the Option D is correct ?

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:37 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:Hi Experts,
Got a quick question on the OA:

Here, the Option D states that "where air pollution is NOT especially severe predators have much more impact than parasites ", but per the passage, I guess, we're concerned with the areas where air pollution is severe. Isn't it ?

So, how the Option D is correct ?
Fact: Severe air pollution results in reduced predator populations.
Implication:
In areas WITHOUT severe air pollution, predator populations are NOT reduced.

OA: Where air pollution is not especially severe, predators have much more impact on leaf-beetle populations.
Here, predators have MUCH MORE IMPACT on leaf-beetle populations because -- in accordance with the blue statement above -- predator populations are NOT reduced.
As a result, there are enough predators to prevent leaf beetles from damaging willows.

The information above explains why willows ARE damaged in areas WITH severe air pollution:
In areas WITH severe air pollution, predator populations ARE reduced.
As a result, there are NOT enough predators to prevent leaf beetles from damaging willows.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3