options

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

options

by manky06 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:40 am
test
Last edited by manky06 on Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:332 members

by Jon@Admissionado » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:07 am
Hey dude!
Good to hear from you!
The quick answer is if you want to apply to those schools with your profile, it'd be helpful to have 50+ more points on the GMAT. Either that or adjust your school list.

For the long answer, Im gonna need more info from you!
Where do you work? What do you do? How quickly have you advanced? Do you have any leadership? What are your great achievements? Do you have notable community service or extra curriculars? Which school did you graduate from?

All of these will play important roles in your evaluation.
Best,
Jon
"Hands down the best MBA admissions consulting firm of all-time, and boy, what an incredible founder!" -- Raj Patil, Founder of Admissionado

Something for everyone:
https://admissionado.lpages.co/admissio ... nter-2018/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/50-essay ... ked-vol-4/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/case-studies-lp/
https://admissionado.com/mba/reviews/
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Admis ... 700945.htm

Reach out, and let's gab. Our only requirement is that you don't prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 866-409-4753
Hit us up on WhatsApp.
Ping our satellite: 0884#&@-2#101101
Contact us via web form you lazy git: https://admissionado.com/contact/
Mostly, email Claudia.

by manky06 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:16 pm
Hi Jon

Firstly, thank you so much for taking out time specially on a Friday. I would love to provide you more details.

1) Where do you work? What do you do? :- I am currently working as an Audit Senior in one of the Big4 accounting firms in the world. I basically do the financial statement audit in the Investment Management Industry covering Private Equity, Hedge Funds, Fund-of-funds and Mutual Funds.
I joined this company 2 years ago as an Audit Senior Assistant and within 9 months was promoted to Audit Senior. I report directly to Manager/Sr. Manager. I currently handling a team that varies from 3-9 depending on the client requirement.
Before this company , I was working in a mid-sized accounting firm ( 30 employees) as an Consultant in Taxation and Auditing role handling a team of 3. I am a Chartered Accountant ( CPA equivalent) and I have a post CA experience of 5 years.

2)Do you have any leadership? - As regards to the leadership experience , I do lead a team in various engagements and also formally participate in the annual feedback/appraisal for my team members.

3)Do you have notable community service or extra curricular? : Currently I am a member in a non-profit organisation working to ensure equitable outcomes for children in orphanages and street shelters.
I was also a part of my company's cricket competition. During my school days, have regularly participated in various quiz competitions/essay writing competitions. Received a bronze medal during a national level essay competition in school.

4) Which school did you graduate from? : Ok, so I did my Senior Secondary is Delhi Public School which is rated among the top 10 schools in the country. I did my undergraduate ( Bachelors in Commerce) from University of Delhi (1st Division). I also did my post graduation (Masters in Commerce) from University Of Delhi ( 1st Division) .
I am a Chartered Accountant (CPA equivalent) and also hold a Masters in Business Finance ( All India Rank Holder) from Institute of Chartered Accountants of India.
My post CA work experience is 5 years and post graduation experience is 6.5 years. CA's also undergo a 3.5 years of mandatory article-ship (internship ) which I have not included in the experience.

5) What are your great achievements? : In my first company , me and my colleague were able to re-design the Finance reporting department. In my current company, within 1 year I received spot award ( for handling a pressure scenario in a UK based fund audit ) and Applause award (for all the planning and execution of a US based alternative investment fund audit) . Receiving it in an year is not very common here.

6) Rest , do not have an on site work ex but deal daily with US/Uk teams. Love to travel and have traveled to US , Dubai and many places in India.

I understand GMAT is one of the biggest factors which can just ruin my chances of a business graduation.But getting the same score in 2 separate attempts, I really have no strength to go back to GMAT and would like to use it all on the essays.
My aim is to work in Strategic consulting and to do that it is necessary to have an MBA ( Trust me!!! Had various discussions with many HR executives as well as the employees working in these areas and they all had on answer. MBA ).

IF you could help me adjust the school list too that would be the best help possible right now!!!

Lots of information so please feel free to answer whenever you can . Again , thanks a lot for taking out time and helping me!!

Kind Regards
Manky :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:56 pm
manky06 wrote:Hi

A brief background . I am a Chartered Accountant from India with 6 years of full time work experience (plus 3.5 years of article-ship experience) . I also hold Maters in Commerce and Masters in Business Finance (All India rank holder) along with Bachelors in Commerce. I am currently working in a Big 4 for the past 2 years.

Took the GMAT last week for the 2nd time and was a bit stunned to see a 670 on screen [Q45 V38] (1st attempt was 660 Q44 V36). It was a forgettable week and honestly have no strength to retake the GMAT and the only way to look is forward.

My first preference is Insead but I understand that the route is difficult. Now I am confused and need help!! My preference is to go for a 1 year MBA and want to shift from Audit to consulting.

I have tried to list some options:
1) Insead
2) Oxford
3) Cambridge
4) Cornell 1 year MBA
4) IIM Banglore (Executive MBA)
5) IIM Ahmedabad (Executive MBA)
6) ISB
7) Emroy University - Goizueta Business School
8) USC Marshall

With so many options, it is clear that I am confused. Can anyone please help me sort this info. and provide any other B-School that could be a reach for me.

Thanks a lot :-D
Thanks for reaching out. I would have to agree that while you may not want to look at it again, if you can buckle down and up that GMAT score just a little, you can look at a much wider set of opportunities. I'd add Notre Dame Mendoza and possibly look at Columbia J term even though it is a bit longer. Kellogg's 4Q could also be an option for you-especially if you can move that GMAT. If it is the verbal part of the GMAT that is a stumbling block, take a new approach- seek out some of the free material on this site, attend some webinars and give it one more go. Then, once you've done that calibrate your list with your final score and really go deep in the research on those programs. Talk to students, faculty- understand how the consulting curriculum can help you- know about the experiential learning-etc. STAND OUT as someone who really understands why the school is a good fit for you. Hope this helps!

by manky06 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:09 am
Hi Donna

Thank you very much for replying :) and for providing some more options. Will look into the details.