MBA Program Guidance

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

MBA Program Guidance

by mbsingh » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:51 am
Hi Everyone,

27 year old east Indian male studying Bachelors in computer science (dual major - web and mobile development , Databases) graduating in December. I have been studying part time and working full time for 6 years as Business Intelligence analyst.

Worked for fortune 20 company as intern (Analyst for 8 months)
Working for one of the Top 3 food processing companies Canada.

Education - two diplomas and a certificate (with distinction from BCIT)
- Bachelors (will graduate with distinction as well from BCIT)

Extra curricular - President of International student club. Mentored new students, helped them with visa paperwork, organized school events and started sports club.
Volunteer for a coaching academy, helped high school kids stay away from drugs and joining gangs.
Play cricket professionally in a league for last 5 years

Planning on doing GMAT early next year and confident i can get score upwards of 730. I'll also attempt CFA level 1 to gain more finance related knowledge.

What do you guys suggest ? I want MBA from top 10 US School. Recommendation letter , GPA and GMAT isnt an issue but leadership skill and extra curricular could be.

Reason for delay in studies is i moved here for bachelors when i was 18. Worked full time became permanent resident and continued working and started school part time with full time course load.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:27 am
mbsingh wrote:Hi Everyone,
Hi @Mbsingh,
I think you have more to offer than you give yourself credit for. I don't see your extracurriculars as a big weakness- a lot of it is how you tell the story. Keeping kids away from drugs could be life changing- if you can quantify some of that or just tell a personal story of one kid you saved that could be compelling. Helping to quantify how many new students you helped-etc could all help. Even your professional cricket play could be interesting.
You need to think a bit more about why the MBA will help you get to your post MBA goals and also ask yourself what kind of environment you thrive in. Small class size, rural setting? lots of experiential learning? Get on the mailing lists for top 10 programs, start asking those questions to narrow down- and then start to research deep in those schools so you will have compelling reasons why you fit in each place. We offer free consults if you'd like to know more- go to StratusPrep.com for that; and regardless best wishes to you and congrats on your accomplishments so far!
27 year old east Indian male studying Bachelors in computer science (dual major - web and mobile development , Databases) graduating in December. I have been studying part time and working full time for 6 years as Business Intelligence analyst.

Worked for fortune 20 company as intern (Analyst for 8 months)
Working for one of the Top 3 food processing companies Canada.

Education - two diplomas and a certificate (with distinction from BCIT)
- Bachelors (will graduate with distinction as well from BCIT)

Extra curricular - President of International student club. Mentored new students, helped them with visa paperwork, organized school events and started sports club.
Volunteer for a coaching academy, helped high school kids stay away from drugs and joining gangs.
Play cricket professionally in a league for last 5 years

Planning on doing GMAT early next year and confident i can get score upwards of 730. I'll also attempt CFA level 1 to gain more finance related knowledge.

What do you guys suggest ? I want MBA from top 10 US School. Recommendation letter , GPA and GMAT isnt an issue but leadership skill and extra curricular could be.

Reason for delay in studies is i moved here for bachelors when i was 18. Worked full time became permanent resident and continued working and started school part time with full time course load.