For Ryu, success in his solar-energy business was largely

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
For Ryu, success in his solar-energy business was largely a matter of the attraction of sufficient venture capital; in addition to holding onto his expert staff, despite other firms' attempts to lure them away.

A) a matter of the attraction of sufficient venture capital; in addition to holding onto his expert staff,
B) an issue of attracting sufficient venture capital; in addition, holding onto his expert staff,
C) a matter of attracting sufficient venture capital, as well as holding onto his expert staff
D) for him to attract sufficient venture capital, and to retain his expert staff
E) a matter of him attracting sufficient venture capital, as well as to retain his expert staff,

OA:C

Source :GMATPrep EP2

Please explain POE

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:13 am
NandishSS wrote:For Ryu, success in his solar-energy business was largely a matter of the attraction of sufficient venture capital; in addition to holding onto his expert staff, despite other firms' attempts to lure them away.

A) a matter of the attraction of sufficient venture capital; in addition to holding onto his expert staff,
B) an issue of attracting sufficient venture capital; in addition, holding onto his expert staff,
C) a matter of attracting sufficient venture capital, as well as holding onto his expert staff
D) for him to attract sufficient venture capital, and to retain his expert staff
E) a matter of him attracting sufficient venture capital, as well as to retain his expert staff,
A semi-colon must serve to connect two complete sentences.
In A and B, the semi-colon is not followed by a complete sentence.
Eliminate A and B.

D: For Ryo, success was largely...for him
Here, the phrases in red are redundant.
Eliminate D.

E: success was largely a matter of him
This meaning is nonsensical.
A PERSON cannot constitute a MATTER.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by meenakshimiyer » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:54 pm
A semi-colon must serve to connect two complete sentences.
In answer choice A and B, the semi-colon is not followed by a complete sentence.
So, Eliminate answer choice A and B.
In choice D, " For Ryo ........for him" is the wrong usage. Hence, D is out. In E, "Success was largely a matter of him" doesn't make any sense. So, we could eliminate E. Choice C has the perfect structure. Hence, C is the answer.