from 490 to 660, I finally made it

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

from 490 to 660, I finally made it

by buzz-lightyear » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:12 pm
I know, maybe all guys believe that get a score over 700 is a successful story, but for me, a girl who lived in a small city in China, get a score over 650 is very hard and i am proud of myself. Why? Because in my city, girls are told that they should just find a stable job and marry a man, and don't go too far away from you home, those reasons making me a total stranger here.
however, I want to go outside, learn more knowledge, and visit Disney World. So, without friends who can company me to prepare for my test and an English studying environment, I do the job all alone.

two years ago, I took GMAT three times, got 550, 560 and 490. I still remembered the day when I saw 490 on the screen...I cried out loud on the street during the night. My family and my friends all told me to give up the so-called dream, because maybe all my want is too difficult for a girl with such limited backgrounds.

So I gave up and lived a life that most people there agreed a girl should live.

After two years, I graduated and I still cannot forget my dream to go outside. Luckily, my mom supported my dream under the pressure that people around gave her, all those guys criticized my mom to force me to suffer a torture again. And I met a wonderful teacher who taught me how to study GMAT. With his help, I got my first over 600 score--610. Still a low score I know, but I finally saw the hope.

Then with another month preparation, I told myself this is the last time I took GMAT and if I could not get a score over 650 then I would give up and back to my normal life.

Yesterday I finally got 660 in the test, I ran happily from the test center and found my mom standing there. I saw her almost cry when she knew my score.

I still remembered the feeling when I saw my first math question...terrified, yes. I even could not understand what the question talked about. Then after 3 minutes I chose A and went to the next, and then a seemly easy question showed up...but I found myself cannot got a integer that the question asked for. I counted again, again and again, felt helpless and even wanted to quit the test...I saw the time on the screen is less then 68 minutes, So I had to give up this question. Although the third question is easy (with a terrible emotion at that time, I had to read the question twice to get the meaning), and I told myself to stay calm and do the rest questions correct as many as possible. (my final Quant score is 50)

All in all, I just wanted to tell the world that I finally made it and the guys who have a low score all the time, you can achieve your goal in the end.

Go infinity and Beyond!
Last edited by buzz-lightyear on Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Edison@VeritasPrep » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:17 pm
Congratulations! So happy to hear this story.

All the best on your preparations for the essays and the rest of the application package. I am sure you would have interesting stories to share.
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by buzz-lightyear » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:57 pm
Edison@VeritasPrep wrote:Congratulations! So happy to hear this story.

All the best on your preparations for the essays and the rest of the application package. I am sure you would have interesting stories to share.
Thank you!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:410

by diegocml » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:03 am
Congratulations, buzz-lightyear!!

You've made it!
(my final Quant score is 50)
Q50 - Not bad after 'guessing' on the first 2 questions!
Diego

1st GMAT attemp: 410 (Q18 V27)
2nd GMAT attemp: 490 (Q35 V23)