2016 OG SC 81

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

2016 OG SC 81

by Crystal W » Mon May 23, 2016 12:37 am
The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival's month.

(A) world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival's month

(B) world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival's month

(C) world when they proclaimed a sacred truce for the festival month

(D) world, for a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival

(E) world by proclamation of a sacred truce that was for the month of the festival
The OA is D.
My question is about the OG explanation of choice A, which is "In that is stilted and overly formal." I remember I learnt the grammer is I have to add comma before in that and then it can be same meaning of because. Is that correct in GMAT?
Thanks in advance!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:12 am
This is why SC can be much more difficult to learn than quant... because grammar changes over time! As far as I know, "in that" is not grammatically incorrect. However, the GMAT will almost always default to the more direct, concise usage. A single word - "because" or "for" - is more concise than two. You will almost certainly not see "in that" in any correct answers on the GMAT.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by eric4867 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:38 pm
for answer D, i'm having a hard time understanding the sentence fragment "for a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival". Doesn't that mean at any point during the month, the truce was proclaimed?

the truce really needs to be "for" the whole month. any ideas on what i can do to correct my thinking?[/b]