fraternal twins!!

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

fraternal twins!!

by gmat_perfect » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:09 pm
The fact of some fraternal twins resembling each other greatly and others looking quite dissimilar highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely they vary considerably on a spectrum of genetic relatedness.

A. The fact of some fraternal twins resembling each other greatly and others looking quite dissimilar highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely they vary considerably
B. That some fraternal twins resemble each other greatly while others look quite dissimilar highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely that they vary considerably
C. With some fraternal twins resembling each other greatly and others looking quite dissimilar, it highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely considerable variation
D. With some fraternal twins resembling each other greatly and others looking quite dissimilar, it is a fact that highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely a considerable variation
E. Because some fraternal twins resemble each other greatly and others look quite dissimilar, this fact highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely they vary considerably
Last edited by gmat_perfect on Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:730

by hardik.jadeja » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:17 pm

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:53 pm
D. With some fraternal twins resembling each other greatly and others looking quite dissimilar, it is a fact that highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely a considerable variation.
The clause It is a fact is acceptable only if the pronoun it can stand in for what follows the word fact:

It is a fact that people like chocolate.

It = that people like chocolate.

In other words:

That people like chocolate is a fact.

In answer choice D, the pronoun it is not referring to what follows the word fact:

It is a fact that highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs

does not mean

That highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs is a fact

The statement above makes no sense. So in answer choice D, the pronoun it is ambiguous: we don't know what exactly highlights an interesting and overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by sumanr84 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:17 pm
@Mitch ..nice explanation..thanks..I got something to takeaway here..
I am on a break !!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:780

by nazar7ft » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:56 pm
gmat_perfect wrote:The fact of some fraternal twins resembling each other greatly and others looking quite dissimilar highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely they vary considerably on a spectrum of genetic relatedness.

A. The fact of some fraternal twins resembling each other greatly and others looking quite dissimilar highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely they vary considerably
B. That some fraternal twins resemble each other greatly while others look quite dissimilar highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely that they vary considerably
C. With some fraternal twins resembling each other greatly and others looking quite dissimilar, it highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely considerable variation
D. With some fraternal twins resembling each other greatly and others looking quite dissimilar, it is a fact that highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely a considerable variation
E. Because some fraternal twins resemble each other greatly and others look quite dissimilar, this fact highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely they vary considerably
Namely:

Namely + Noun/Noun Phrase/Noun Clause

But I have seen some sentences where namely has been used in the following way:
A forum administrator has to do a lot of work, namely answer questions, keep the web site up-to-date, and delete spam.

My question is:
"Keep the website up to date" is an independent clause.
Is the above sentence correct?

Thanks for the reply.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:38 am

What is the overlooked feature of fraternal twins? That they vary considerably. The overlooked feature is that they vary considerably. One noun = another noun. Fine.

A forum administrator has to do a lot of work, namely answer questions, keep the web site up-to-date, and delete spam.

What is the work that a forum administrator has to do? Answer questions. The work is answer questions. A noun = a verb. Not fine, because we're equating two different parts of speech.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by A.Kiran » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:32 pm
I have a question.

1. Namely - The rule is, we should be used before the noun/noun clause

Does the rule applies to all adverb words that end with -ly ( like happily/sadly/nicely/rightly, etc) or it applies to "NAMELY"

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:39 am
A.Kiran wrote:I have a question.

1. Namely - The rule is, we should be used before the noun/noun clause

Does the rule applies to all adverb words that end with -ly ( like happily/sadly/nicely/rightly, etc) or it applies to "NAMELY"
Most words that end in -ly will modify verbs:

The student who prepared with Mitch answered every question correctly, easily acing the GMAT.

In the example above, the adverb easily modifies the verb acing.

The adverb namely, however, typically is used to equate two nouns, to "name" what the first noun is referring to:

an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely that they vary considerably

In the example above, namely is being used to "name" what the overlooked feature is: that they vary considerably.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by A.Kiran » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:20 pm
so you mean to say that

1. It is only "namely" should be followed by noun/noun clause ?

and other adverbs mostly modify the verbs.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:35 pm
A.Kiran wrote:so you mean to say that

1. It is only "namely" should be followed by noun/noun clause ?

and other adverbs mostly modify the verbs.
No, there are other adverbs besides namely that tend to be followed by a noun. For example:

John likes many flavors, especially chocolate.

In the example above, the adverb especially is modifying the verb likes: we're being told about the kind of flavor that John especially likes.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by A.Kiran » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:39 pm
i have one more question.

Is there any list of adverbs that are available ? ( which follow the -'' namely'' rule )

can you please give us few more words apart from 'namely, especially' .
Is it good to add in my notes about the rules about these words ?

Thanks Mitch

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:52 pm
A.Kiran wrote:i have one more question.

Is there any list of adverbs that are available ? ( which follow the -'' namely'' rule )

Thanks Mitch
Off the top of my head: I can think of: particularly, mostly, primarily, mainly.

I don't know of a complete list.

The proper usage of these words is good to know, but when you're examining the answer choices, look for more common errors: a verb in the wrong tense, an ambiguous pronoun, an idiom error, etc.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:22 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:

Thanks Mitch
Off the top of my head: I can think of: particularly, mostly, primarily, mainly.
that's not a bad list, but it is worth noting that those four words can also be used as normal adverbs (i.e., to modify adjectives or verbs), while "namely" generally can't.

example:
the paint job on the new car is primarily red, but is decorated with stripes and flames in other colors.
--> here, "primarily" is used as a normal adverb, modifying the adjective "red". you cannot use "namely" in this sort of construction.
Last edited by lunarpower on Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:15 am
lunarpower wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:

Thanks Mitch
that's not a bad list, but it is worth noting that those four words can also be used as normal adjectives (i.e., to modify adjectives or verbs), while "namely" generally can't.

example:
the paint job on the new car is primarily red, but is decorated with stripes and flames in other colors.
--> here, "primarily" is used as a normal adverb, modifying the adjective "red". you cannot use "namely" in this sort of construction.
Yes, very true!

We should make clear, however, that the other words in the list can function not as normal adjectives but as normal adverbs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:20 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
lunarpower wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:

Thanks Mitch
that's not a bad list, but it is worth noting that those four words can also be used as normal adjectives (i.e., to modify adjectives or verbs), while "namely" generally can't.

example:
Yes, very true!

We should make clear, however, that the other words in the list can function not as normal adjectives but as normal adverbs.
nice catch. i edited my post accordingly.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron