Profile Evaluation Request - High GMAT low GPA

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi all would love some feedback on my chances. Looking at applying for 2017 to part time programs (FEMBA) as I will be working throughout. I'm very happy with my company and am moving up the ladder quite fast so I am looking to do a part-time program in Southern California. My top two choices would be UCI or Marshall(USC) with Anderson's FEMBA as a farrr reach (hoping my Native American side can help with that hah)
My profile:
26 y/o Male
White/Native American
Work Experience: 4 Years in Aerospace industry:
- 1st company (Satellite Company, Top 3 in world) for 2.5 years started as Financial Analyst promoted to Sr. Analyst after 18 months
- 2nd Company (Fortune 500 International Aerospace company) - hired as Sr. Analyst for 1.5 years and promoted to Program Manager last month so will have approx 1 year experience in that position while applying. Currently work under an Executive Director helping manage a $500m contract.
Schooling: Major in Finance/Minor in Quant. Econ, overall 2.7/major 3.0
- GPA is very low I know, was dealing with some mental health issues in college, it is what it is now I have overcome those issues but can't change my transcripts unfortunately.
GMAT: 730 (47Q,43V) Sat for the test twice now. Pretty happy with the score but seeing as my GPA is so low I've considering taking it a third time to see if I can hit 750+
Extra curriculars: Not much to speak of. I currently am part of my company's volunteering group which does community programs about twice a month (feeding homeless, veterans hospitals etc..)

Would love any feedback or suggestions as to how I could improve my profile in the next 12-16 months before apps; obviously the GPA is a real ugly point so looking to find ways to mitigate that. I'm not sure if looking solely at part-time hurts or helps my chances but I can't see myself leaving my company anytime soon. Wondering what my chances are at somewhere like Marshall or even Anderson part time.

Thanks!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:29 pm
A few thoughts for you MBAaccount1225:
  1. Parts of the work that you are doing now already seem to have fair amount of management aspects. Assuming you have been associated with good brands, this should make for a good arc.
  2. The executive MBA options in general are for folks more senior. Even so, if you have your rationale clear and strong, and have the backing of your employer, you can definitely go for them. At the cost of generalization, I would say that the intake criteria for these programs could usually be lower than the full time programs.
  3. On the GPA front, since you have time, check this. I would definitely not recommend a retake frankly. Look at this story for some inspiration on the objective parameters. In essence, definitely go for aggressive ones such as Anderson also.
Hope this helps some.

Cheers,
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:00 am
MBAaccount1225 wrote:Hi all would love some feedback on my chances. Looking at applying for 2017 to part time programs (FEMBA) as I will be working throughout. I'm very happy with my company and am moving up the ladder quite fast so I am looking to do a part-time program in Southern California. My top two choices would be UCI or Marshall(USC) with Anderson's FEMBA as a farrr reach (hoping my Native American side can help with that hah)
Listen- I think you are doing great! Your GMAT covers the GPA issue- and if you just address the gpa in an optional essay where you don't blame- but maybe just say you were going through some personal difficulties- want to make sure not to have them think mental health issues are unresolved- but I think that new GMAT and great work will make GPA less of an issue. I would not sell yourself short nor discount that you can add to diversity profile of school-something every school wants to do. I think best way for you to prepare is to look for ways to quantify your extracurriculars and show impact, make sure you are building relationships with your recommenders and get them to talk about your work ethic and how you are very responsible, doing well, promoted etc at work, and talk to current students to do research on WHY you want to attend program! Do those things- focus on the good- which there are many! and don't worry about the gpa!
My profile:
26 y/o Male
White/Native American
Work Experience: 4 Years in Aerospace industry:
- 1st company (Satellite Company, Top 3 in world) for 2.5 years started as Financial Analyst promoted to Sr. Analyst after 18 months
- 2nd Company (Fortune 500 International Aerospace company) - hired as Sr. Analyst for 1.5 years and promoted to Program Manager last month so will have approx 1 year experience in that position while applying. Currently work under an Executive Director helping manage a $500m contract.
Schooling: Major in Finance/Minor in Quant. Econ, overall 2.7/major 3.0
- GPA is very low I know, was dealing with some mental health issues in college, it is what it is now I have overcome those issues but can't change my transcripts unfortunately.
GMAT: 730 (47Q,43V) Sat for the test twice now. Pretty happy with the score but seeing as my GPA is so low I've considering taking it a third time to see if I can hit 750+
Extra curriculars: Not much to speak of. I currently am part of my company's volunteering group which does community programs about twice a month (feeding homeless, veterans hospitals etc..)

Would love any feedback or suggestions as to how I could improve my profile in the next 12-16 months before apps; obviously the GPA is a real ugly point so looking to find ways to mitigate that. I'm not sure if looking solely at part-time hurts or helps my chances but I can't see myself leaving my company anytime soon. Wondering what my chances are at somewhere like Marshall or even Anderson part time.

Thanks!