Inequalities and squaring both sides?

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

Inequalities and squaring both sides?

by netigen » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:44 am
Can we safely square or sqrt both sides of an equality in GMAT or does it depend on question to question.

For e.g.

1. If the question says all variables are positive integers in x>y then can we square or sqrt on both sides?

2. If question doesn't provide any details on the variable types then can we square or sqrt both sides of an inequality eq?

Whats the rule?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:770

by simplyjat » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:57 am
For squares we have following properties.
1. If the number is less than 0, the square is always greater than the number
2. If the number is between 0 and 1, the square is always smaller than the number
3. If the number is greater than 1, the square is always greater than the number.

In case of inequalities,

If the numbers lie between 0 & 1, then we have to reverse the direction of inequality.
i.e. if a and b both are between 0 & 1, and a^2 > b^2 then a <b> b^2 then a <b> b^2 then a > b
simplyjat

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by middleCmusic » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:24 pm
simplyjat wrote: If the numbers lie between 0 & 1, then we have to reverse the direction of inequality.
I think you must have meant something else because this isn't true.

Ex: .5 > .25 and (.5)^2=.25 > (.25)^2=.0625

The rule for squaring inequalities is this:

If a > b and |a| > |b|, then a^2 > b^2.
If a > b and |a| < |b|, then a^2 < b^2.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:33 members
GMAT Score:780

by gmatboost » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:28 am
My advice is to never take the square root of inequalities.

If you have x^2 > 9 for example, taking the square root would give you x > 3. But that is only part of the solution, since there is also x < -3.

Instead of taking the square root, do the following:
1. Pretend that the inequality is an equals sign, so x^2 = 9.
2. Find the solutions.
3. Think about the behavior of the inequality around those points. In this case, with -3 and 3, you should realize that with numbers above 3 or below -3, the square is greater than 9. With numbers in between, the result is less than 9.

Squaring is a bit different, but you should still be careful.
If root(x) < 4, we can't just square and say that x < 16.
This is because we also have the limitation that we can only take the square root of a positive number or zero. So the solution would be 0 <= x < 16.

In either case, I would advise you to try to reason through the question rather than taking the square or square root. If you have any specific examples in mind, please share them and I'd be happy to make more specific suggestions.
Greg Michnikov, Founder of GMAT Boost

GMAT Boost offers 250+ challenging GMAT Math practice questions, each with a thorough video explanation, and 100+ GMAT Math video tips, each 90 seconds or less.
It's a total of 20+ hours of expert instruction for an introductory price of just $10.
View sample questions and tips without signing up, or sign up now for full access.

Also, check out the most useful GMAT Math blog on the internet here.

by anon123 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:40 pm
(1) Suppose a > b > 0

Multiply (1) by a to get: a^2 > ab
Multiply (1) by b to get: ab > b^2
Put the above together to get: a^2 > ab > b^2

by bobybobbobbobybob » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:52 am
This is because we also have the limitation that we can only take the square root of a positive number or zero.
This is not true. The square root of -1 is equal to i (some notations use j). Complex numbers....

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:13 am
bobybobbobbobybob wrote:
This is because we also have the limitation that we can only take the square root of a positive number or zero.
This is not true. The square root of -1 is equal to i (some notations use j). Complex numbers....
All numbers on the GMAT are real.
Thus, on the GMAT, it is not possible to take an even root of a negative value.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:119 members
GMAT Score:780

by Matt@VeritasPrep » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:03 pm
bobybobbobbobybob wrote:
This is not relevant to the GMAT, which doesn't recognize the existence of imaginary and complex numbers. (We're pre-Renaissance here.)