SC: "A Sumatran..."

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

SC: "A Sumatran..."

by me_1234 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:14 pm
A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, the first birth in captivity of that species in more than a century, making it a landmark development for the effort to save the endangered animal.

a/ A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, the first birth in captivity of that species in more than a century, making it

b/ A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, and as the first birth of that species in captivity for more than a century, it is

c/ A Sumatran rhinoceros recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, as the first birth for that species in captivity for over a century, is

d/ The recent birth of a Sumatran rhinoceros in a Cincinnati zoo, the first birth in captivity for that species in over a century, is

e/ The recent birth of a Sumatran rhinoceros, as the first birth in over a century of that species in captivity, took place in a Cincinnati zoo,

Answer: D

I wanted to confirm that answer A is incorrect because the 'it' in the phrase "making it..." is not clear as to the noun it is replacing, correct?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:36 am
A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, the first birth in captivity of that species in more than a century, making it a landmark development for the effort to save the endangered animal.

A) A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, the first birth in captivity of that species in more than a century, making it
B) A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, and as the first birth of that species in captivity for more than a century, it is
C) A Sumatran rhinoceros recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, as the first birth for that species in captivity for over a century, is
D) The recent birth of a Sumatran rhinoceros in a Cincinnati zoo, the first birth in captivity for that species in over a century, is
E) The recent birth of a Sumatran rhinoceros, as the first birth in over a century of that species in captivity, took place in a Cincinnati zoo,
A: making it a landmark development
Here, it seems to refer to a Sumatran rhinoceros, implying the following:
making a Sumatran rhinoceros a landmark development.
Not the intended meaning.
The intended meaning is that the BIRTH was a landmark development.
Eliminate A.

B: it is a landmark development
A Sumatran rhinoceros is a landmark development.
Eliminate B.

C: A Sumatran rhinoceros...is a landmark development
Eliminate C.

E: a Cincinnati zoo, a landmark development
This construction implies that A CINCINNATI ZOO was a landmark development.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Followed by:2 members

by me_1234 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:31 pm
Great thanks

by Neilsheth2 » Sat May 28, 2016 6:47 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:

A) A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, the first birth in captivity of that species in more than a century, making it
B) A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, and as the first birth of that species in captivity for more than a century, it is
C) A Sumatran rhinoceros recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, as the first birth for that species in captivity for over a century, is
D) The recent birth of a Sumatran rhinoceros in a Cincinnati zoo, the first birth in captivity for that species in over a century, is
E) The recent birth of a Sumatran rhinoceros, as the first birth in over a century of that species in captivity, took place in a Cincinnati zoo,
Eliminate A.

Eliminate B.

Eliminate C.

Eliminate E.

The correct answer is D.
Hey Mitch you precisely write that the 'IT' in answer' A 'can not refer to the THE FIRST BIRTH in the preceding modifier? is it because the preceding clause is a noun modifier? the modifier making it must refer to the main clause?

I chose A since I though it may refer to the first birth- implying ---> making the first birth a landmark development...!!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Aman15390 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:21 am
@ Neilsheth,

Here the use of "IT" is ambigious which can refer to "THE FIRST BIRTH", "CINCINNATI ZOO" and "SUMATRAN RHINOCEROUS".

The best way to think is strike of the phrase "the first birth in captivity of that species in more than a century" and see if it makes sense.

In option A: you will see after striking, IT can still refer to "CINCINNATI ZOO" and "SUMATRAN RHINOCEROUS".

In Option D: strike of " the first birth in captivity for that species in over a century" and you will see it still makes sense. THE RECENT BIRTH OF SUMATRAN RHINOCEROUS IN A CINCINATTI ZOO IS A LANDMARK DEVELOPMENT.

Hope this helps.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:23 am
Neilsheth2 wrote: Hey Mitch you precisely write that the 'IT' in answer' A 'can not refer to the THE FIRST BIRTH in the preceding modifier? is it because the preceding clause is a noun modifier? the modifier making it must refer to the main clause?

I chose A since I though it may refer to the first birth- implying ---> making the first birth a landmark development...!!
A: A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, the first birth in captivity of that species in more than a century, making it a landmark development.
Here, the first birth is in APPOSITION to a Sumatran rhinoceros, implying that a SUMATRAN RHINOCEROS = THE FIRST BIRTH.
Since a COMMA + VERBing modifier serves to refer to the preceding subject, COMMA + making also serves to a Sumatran rhinoceros.
If it serves to refer to the first birth, the conveyed meaning is as follows:
A Sumatran rhinoceros, the first birth, was making the first birth a landmark development.
This meaning is nonsensical.
Eliminate A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by gocoder » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:39 am
Hey GMAtguru,
I'm intrigued when 2 non essential modifiers are used in succession.
(Main clause),apposition, ing modifier.

by richadaga » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:47 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:

Eliminate A.

Eliminate B.

Eliminate C.

Eliminate E.

The correct answer is D.

Hi

Why is B wrong?
,and separates the two clauses. "as the first birth of that species......., it is... " So, won't it refer correctly to first birth?
Why will 'it' refer to the sumatran rhinoceros which is subject of previous clause.

Thanks

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:39 am
richadaga wrote:Why is B wrong?
,and separates the two clauses. "as the first birth of that species......., it is... " So, won't it refer correctly to first birth?
Why will 'it' refer to the sumatran rhinoceros which is subject of previous clause.

Thanks
The default referent for a subject pronoun is the preceding subject.
Thus in B, the default referent for it (subject pronoun) is a Sumatran rhinoceros (the preceding subject).

Moreover:
As the first birth of that species in captivity for more than a century, it is a landmark development.
Here, the modifier in red implies that the following subject -- it -- is functioning as the first birth.
If it serves to refer to the first birth, the following meaning is conveyed:
THE FIRST BIRTH is functioning AS THE FIRST BIRTH.
This meaning is redundant.

Another issue:
Mary has been running for two hours.
Here, the phrase in blue implies that the act of running has lasted FOR TWO HOURS: that it began two hours ago and is perhaps still happening.
B: the first birth of that species in captivity for more than a century
Here, the phrase in red seems to imply that the first birth lasted FOR MORE THAN A CENTURY: that it began over 100 years ago and only recently ended.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by richadaga » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:57 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
richadaga wrote:Why is B wrong?

Thanks
The default referent for a subject pronoun is the preceding subject.
Thus in B, the default referent for it (subject pronoun) is a Sumatran rhinoceros (the preceding subject).

Moreover:
As the first birth of that species in captivity for more than a century, it is a landmark development.
Here, the modifier in red implies that the following subject -- it -- is functioning as the first birth.
If it serves to refer to the first birth, the following meaning is conveyed:
THE FIRST BIRTH is functioning AS THE FIRST BIRTH.
This meaning is redundant.

Another issue:
Mary has been running for two hours.
Here, the phrase in blue implies that the act of running has lasted FOR TWO HOURS: that it began two hours ago and is perhaps still happening.
B: the first birth of that species in captivity for more than a century
Here, the phrase in red seems to imply that the first birth lasted FOR MORE THAN A CENTURY: that it began over 100 years ago and only recently ended.
Hi

Thanks for your reply.
I initially selected D as the answer , but then thought that FOR in option D: "the first birth in captivity for that species" is incorrect.
I believed that birth of that species is correct rather than for that species .
Can you clarify, the correct usage here and how 'for' is correct.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:39 am
richadaga wrote:Hi

Thanks for your reply.
I initially selected D as the answer , but then thought that FOR in option D: "the first birth in captivity for that species" is incorrect.
I believed that birth of that species is correct rather than for that species .
Can you clarify, the correct usage here and how 'for' is correct.
the birth OF a species:
This phrase refers to the START of an entire species -- in other words, the first time a member of that species appeared on Earth.
Not the intended meaning here.

the first win for the team this season:
Here, the purpose of the for-modifier is to indicate that the first win is a good result FOR the team.
In other words, the team will benefit from this win.
the first birth in captivity for that species in over a century:
Here, the purpose of the for-modifier in green is to indicate that the first birth in captivity is a good result FOR the species.
In other words, the species will benefit from this birth.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3