Experts' comment needed

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

Experts' comment needed

by Mo2men » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:36 pm
Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics due to the author slowly revealing at the end of each piece a tragic twist of fate.

A.Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics due to the author slowly revealing at the end of each piece a tragic twist of fate.

B.Many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because of how he famously and masterfully uses irony, evident in the slow revelation of a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece.

C.Famed for using irony in a masterful way, many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because of the author slowly revealing a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece.

D.Many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because of the author's famed and masterful use of irony, evidenced in the slow revelation of a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece.

E.Many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because he slowly revealed a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece, demonstrating his famed and masterful use of irony.

[spoiler]OA D
[/spoiler]
Why Choice B wrong? Is 'because of + how....' incorrect??

Thanks

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:770

by OptimusPrep » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:30 am
Mo2men wrote:Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics due to the author slowly revealing at the end of each piece a tragic twist of fate.

A.Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics due to the author slowly revealing at the end of each piece a tragic twist of fate.

B.Many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because of how he famously and masterfully uses irony, evident in the slow revelation of a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece.

C.Famed for using irony in a masterful way, many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because of the author slowly revealing a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece.

D.Many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because of the author's famed and masterful use of irony, evidenced in the slow revelation of a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece.

E.Many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because he slowly revealed a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece, demonstrating his famed and masterful use of irony.

[spoiler]OA D
[/spoiler]
Why Choice B wrong? Is 'because of + how....' incorrect??

Thanks
C is incorrect because of improper use of modifier.
"Famed for using irony in a masterful way, many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories"
This means that the short stories are using irony in a masterful way. This is not true. The author is using the irony in a masterful way.

Does this help?

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:55 am
OptimusPrep wrote:
Mo2men wrote: Why Choice B wrong? Is 'because of + how....' incorrect??

Thanks
C is incorrect because of improper use of modifier.
"Famed for using irony in a masterful way, many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories"
This means that the short stories are using irony in a masterful way. This is not true. The author is using the irony in a masterful way.

Does this help?
Thanks for your answer. However, I'm not asking for answer C. I ask about choice B.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:51 am
The present perfect (have + VERBed) serves to refer to a PAST ACTION that affects the present.

B: Many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because of how he famously and masterfully uses irony.

Here, an action that took place in the PAST (Guy de Maupassant's short stories HAVE BECOME classics) is caused by an event taking place in the PRESENT (he USES irony).
This sequence is illogical:
A present event cannot cause a past action.
Eliminate B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3