2nd Attempt Strategy

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

2nd Attempt Strategy

by gmat7m » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:42 pm
Hi!

I gave my first GMAT in Nov'14 with a 700 (Q46, V40). The quant score was in the range of 48-50 in all mocks and dropped due to 4 missed (time!) questions on the test day. I have thought through this for over a year and I am sure I want to go for a second attempt.

I have about 3-4 weeks to get an improved score in time for first round deadlines. I have tried going with OG a few times but I fall out of the plan everytime. So I am looking for the most efficient way to get done with without stressing myself and while also performing 100% at a hectic job (weekends completely free thankfully).

Anything would help (including strategy or maybe an online program that can tie me to the timeline)! Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:16 pm
Hi gmat7m,

First off, a 700/Q46 is an outstanding score (it's right around the 90th percentile overall), so you can apply to any Business Schools that interest you. As such, a retest is probably not necessary.

1) What Business Schools are you planning to apply to?

2) When you say that your score drop was due to 4 questions, do you mean 4 questions at the end of the section? Can you go into more detail? Did you not answer those 4 questions or did you have to rush through them?

3) Since you took the GMAT over 1.5 years ago, have you taken a FULL-LENGTH CAT (with the Essay and IR sections) since then? If you haven't, then you should probably take on so that we can assess your current skills.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Last edited by [email protected] on Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by gmat7m » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:09 pm
Thanks Rich.

1) I am planning to apply to a couple of schools in the US (~ FT ranks 6-15. #1 priority is Columbia/Stern for location, but will decide basis my final score.), both the schools in Singapore (NUS, NTU) and as a last option, ISB.

2) Those questions were missed - i.e. not answered because I ran out of time.

3) My idea is to go into the CAT with at least some basic preparation and not scare myself, so this will probably happen next weekend.

I guess my pool (Indian, male) will be intensely competitive with the score.

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members

How to rock the GMAT.

by MartyMurray » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:18 am
Hi.

Maybe if you use the online questions that come with the Official Guide you will find working easier.

For verbal, I don't know of a better source of practice questions than the Official Guide. For on screen questions that you haven't already seen you might try the GMAC Question Pack.

The truth is though, that you have to bring yourself to do the work. So you better do something, a lot, today, and some more before taking a CAT next weekend. Once you have taken a practice CAT you will be in a better position to determine what you have to do in order to hit your score goal.

C'mon, you want to attend Columbia Business school, but you can't get yourself to open the Official Guide? You sure you really want to do this? Maybe you don't. Seriously. That question is worth considering. If you do, then just do it. A high GMAT score is often partly the result of effective project management.
Last edited by MartyMurray on Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:56 am
Hi gmat7m,

By not answering those last 4 questions, you would have incurred a size-able penalty; in addition, if you were rushing through the last few questions BEFORE those final 4 questions, then you likely got some of those questions wrong too. Under those circumstance, the fact that you scored Q46 is impressive.

You've named some highly competitive Schools, so you'll need to have a strong OVERALL profile AND you'll have to 'market yourself' correctly to each of the Schools in questions. You would likely find it beneficial to work with an Admissions Expert on your applications.

Once you have your next CAT score, you should post back here and we can talk through your study options.

Rich

by gmat7m » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:01 pm
C'mon, you want to attend Columbia Business school, but you can't get yourself to open the Official Guide? You sure you really want to do this? Maybe you don't.
Wow, this really helped. Nothing like a nice challenge where you compete with yourself.

So this gave me a good push, I went through most of the OG (I have a track of stuff that's pending) and gave the Manhattan CAT (2.5 hour though). My score was 710 (Q48, V38).

The areas where I struggled were:

1) Stamina: I struggled through these 2.5 hours, so 4 hours are going to be even more taxing
2) Found myself guessing in some places (more often in quant that in verbal), so I'll have to revisit the basics

What I need help with is forming a definitive 2-3 study plan (which should run parallel to my hectic job). I have all the time on the weekends and I can push myself for ~3 hours on the weekdays.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:41 pm
Hi gmat7m,

This CAT scores tracks with your prior work (and Official GMAT score), so it certainly looks like you've retained (or reacquired) many of your prior GMAT skills. To better train for this next attempt at the GMAT, you really have to put an emphasis on making each CAT that you take as realistic an experience as possible. Skipping the Essay and IR sections will lead you to a shorter Exam that will require less effort/energy of you - and that experience isn't realistic.

1) Do you have an Official Test Date yet?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

Rich

by gmat7m » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:19 pm
Thanks Rich.

To answer your questions:

1) I haven't booked the slot yet but I'm looking at either the weekend of 9/10 or 16/17 July.
2) I definitely want to apply in the first round so I've started putting together a list of things I want in my story already.

Legendary Member

How to rock the GMAT.

by MartyMurray » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:47 pm
gmat7m wrote:
C'mon, you want to attend Columbia Business school, but you can't get yourself to open the Official Guide? You sure you really want to do this? Maybe you don't.
Wow, this really helped. Nothing like a nice challenge where you compete with yourself.

So this gave me a good push, I went through most of the OG (I have a track of stuff that's pending) and gave the Manhattan CAT (2.5 hour though). My score was 710 (Q48, V38).
I am glad that that worked out for you. Sweet.
The areas where I struggled were:

1) Stamina: I struggled through these 2.5 hours, so 4 hours are going to be even more taxing
2) Found myself guessing in some places (more often in quant that in verbal), so I'll have to revisit the basics

What I need help with is forming a definitive 2-3 study plan (which should run parallel to my hectic job). I have all the time on the weekends and I can push myself for ~3 hours on the weekdays.
Regarding "Stamina", possibly you need more sleep.

That aside, I have found that one can think clearly even when totally worn out. So keep that in mind, especially during the verbal section. You might start feeling exhausted, but you can just keep seeking to think clearly and get right answers. At a certain point, there is only a half hour left to go. You might feel exhausted, but you can run the rest of the distance if you just focus on thinking clearly, seeing what you have to see and getting the right answer to whatever question is in front of you.

Of course, you can also build stamina via long practice sessions. Also, I for one used to do some practice questions late at night, just to get practice at thinking clearly when I was kind of worn out. When you are tired your self destructive tendencies are more apparent. What a great time to address them.

Regarding a study plan, in a way a specific plan may not be as necessary as you seem to think. What may work better is a general plan to find ways to put more points on the board and build your skills area by area. In other words, you can go over your practice test to see how you could have scored higher, and address what you find topic by topic. Was accuracy an issue? Then work on accuracy. Did you spend six minutes to get the answer to a prime factors question? Then work on prime factors and divisibility.

If you get better in even six or seven of your less strong quant areas, you can expect to match or exceed that 48 on test day, as you will not only get more right answers to questions of the types that you worked but also do those questions faster so that you have more time to work on the other types.

When you are working on quant and verbal, work on getting right answers, no matter how long each question takes you. You have to get into a right answer mentality, using elegant approaches or hacking, whatever works to get you to the right answers to each question.

For verbal, focus on getting better at seeing what you need to see in order to get the questions right. In a sense, there is no good reason for not getting a CR or RC question right, other than lack of time maybe. When you are practicing though, you can spend all the time you want. So do that, learning to see what you have to see and expecting to speed up as you develop an eye for the key things that make each wrong answer wrong and each right answer right. For SC, get good at seeing what meaning is conveyed by the sentences created using each answer choice, and go over any sentence construction concepts that you find you are not familiar with. If you run out of verbal practice questions, look for another resource such as the OG for Verbal Review, the e-book version of which is the only one I recommend. Making paper books is too destructive.

Some marathon weekend training sessions should serve to build your stamina. Seek to stay sharp enough to get right answers even after hours of doing questions and learning concepts. Also, you should plan to take a couple more practice tests over the next few weeks, and yeah, you better bite the bullet and take the entire things, including the AWA and IR sections.

The AWA is no big deal really. Just set yourself up with a template and learn to apply that template to any essay prompt.

I think that by building quant skill overall and in some specific areas and by getting better at seeing key things in verbal, you can get your score to at least the mid 700's within a few weeks. Just keep in mind that you are not studying for a grammar test or a conventional math test, maybe wanting to learn every little fact. Your goal is to get your score to increase. So anything you do that increases your expected score is the right thing to be doing.

Here are a couple of posts that go into more detail regarding some things that I mentioned.

How To Increase Your GMAT Quant Score

How to Score a 700+ on the GMAT - A Mini Guide for Success
Last edited by MartyMurray on Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marty Murray
MartyMurrayCoaching.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:53 am
Hi gmat7m,

With the date ranges you've listed, you will have about 2 or 3 weeks of study time, which is not a lot. From your Official Score results, I assume that you're looking to improve your Quant Scaled Score a bit. With a Q46, you were likely great on the 'math' questions that you faced, but you would have missed out on a number of 'strategy-based' points. Given the pacing issue that you described, you also likely had trouble 'letting go' of tough questions and/or 'your way' of solving the problem was the "long way" (and there were faster options that you didn't recognize at the time).

I suggest that you take a good look at your practice CAT results. Beyond looking at the questions that you got wrong, you should also look at the Quant questions that took the longest to solve. WHY did they take so long? Could you have approached them differently? Developing those analytical skills and Tactical skills should help you across the entire Quant section.

Rich

by gmat7m » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:39 pm
Thanks guys, really appreciate all of your effort and time.

I am planning to book the appointment for the 26th. I have about 12 days left including 2-3 for CATs. So I have about 30 odd hours of non-CAT practice time left. I want to make the most of this. Are there any specific books that can help me get from Q47/48 to Q49-51 and V37/38 to V40+ AND maintain that level over the next fortnight. I am currently through with the OG and the quant supplement.

Legendary Member

How to rock the GMAT.

by MartyMurray » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:11 am
gmat7m wrote:I have about 12 days left including 2-3 for CATs. So I have about 30 odd hours of non-CAT practice time left. I want to make the most of this. Are there any specific books that can help me get from Q47/48 to Q49-51 and V37/38 to V40+ AND maintain that level over the next fortnight. I am currently through with the OG and the quant supplement.
If you want a lot of official quant and verbal questions, and if you have used GMAT Prep 1 and 2 already, there are lists around that include all of the verbal, and quant, questions from GMAT Prep 1 and 2. To get some more verbal points, figure out what you need to see better in order to get more right answers.

Another source of more official questions is GMAC's question pack.
Marty Murray
MartyMurrayCoaching.com