Please evaluate my profile and suggest the MBA Schools

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Dear All,

Greetings!

My self a Senior Process Design Engineer, having total 12 Years of work experience in Engineering, Procurement & Construction (EPC) business MNCs giants like FLUOR-USA and Technip-France.

Out of 12 years of my experience, I have 4 years of International working experience in UK, China & UAE.
I have worked in Refinery, Petrochemicals, Chemicals, Oil & Gas and Fertilizers Projects as Area lead and Team lead also. There I have handled some time around 7 people team.

I have done my Master(2004) also in Chemical Engineering from one of the premier institute of India, IIT; after clearing the national level examination with All India Rank 223.

I have got GMAT score of 620.

Kindly suggest few MBA-Schools of USA, where I can have some better chances of getting admission.

Just to inform you, I am interested in Full Time MBA Courses only.

Thanks

-Regards
Shiv

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by GeneralEducation » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:06 am
Hi Shiv,

Your work experience and international exposure are your main strengths, also you have diverse profile compared to other Indian applicants (engineers). You can target B-schools like Boston College, Babson, Rice University, Univ of Maryland, Emory, Kelley, Michigan Broad. Also the school selection mainly depends on your post MBA career goals, which sector you want to get into? To shortlist few more schools you can try our B-School selector tool by clicking here https://goo.gl/4FJGzj

Regards
Manish
Director (ISB Alumnus)
General Education - India's premier GMAT & Application Consulting company

Get Advice: +91- 90350 50056 | Email Us: [email protected]

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:760

by Indradeep1click » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:56 pm
Hi Shiv,
Thanks for your query. Your profile definitely has major strengths - solid work experience, international experience and leading teams. Additionally, graduate degree definitely helps! I would use your graduate degree and from IIT along with your work experience to counter your GMAT score.
However, the primary focus in terms of pedigree of a university is for a Bachelors degree and not as much for a graduate degree.
Can you demonstrate career progression by taking on more responsibilities, promotions, financial accountability and team leading/building? This is going to be a major differentiator in your career. In addition, you will be above the class median/average by at least 8 years for most top US schools which can be a positive or negative thing depending on how you spin it.
Remember, at the end of the day, a Business school will hesitate to recruit you if they struggle to place you post MBA. This process is as much about them as it about you.
I would suggest you start with thinking about what you want in life and how an MBA fits into that. If you are not convinced about the reasons for why you should do an MBA, certainly the B schools are not going to be. It is making a business case for yourself and the school.
Hope this helps.
Indradeep
Director, OneClickPrep
https://www.oneclickprep.com
+61424853384 (WhatsApp or call)
Study in Australia - https://www.oneclickprep.com/study-and-w ... australia/
Watch our videos and blogs in https://www.oneclickprep.com/admissions-prep/
Using post MBA corporate and consulting experience to bring real world value to MBA Admissions

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members

by GyanOne » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:23 am
Hi Shiv

With a total of 12 years of experience, you are well on the higher side of the work-experience spectrum. Your work-ex is solid, and it deserves a higher GMAT score to supplement it. You should also be looking at the Sloan Masters programs, 1-year MBA options designed for professionals with higher than average work experience. While there is a chance that you could make it with your current score, that chance is low, and a higher score (650+ as an initial target, but if 680+ could be achieved that would be outstanding) will certainly help. You might also like to read the following posts:

The Sloan programs - an excellent option for more experienced professionals

Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:55 am
Adding a couple of more perspectives Shiv:
  1. At your GMAT, the list herecould be a good starting point. Not ideal though if you ask me.
  2. Apart from Sloan Fellows, you can also evaluate LBS Fellows and Stan MSx. Here, you should connect with the adcoms directly and explore the possibility of GMAT exemption.
Hope this helps some.

Cheers,
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:05 pm
SHIVITUN wrote:Dear All,

Greetings! Hi Shivitun! Here are some thoughts on your profile- With a score in 620 range in your pool for Full Time MBA programs- you will do best to look at the 30-50 school list of MBA programs Full time. You have some excellent international work exposure and also some leadership. Can you highlight promotions? With 12 yrs work, adcom will want to see promotions and progression.

And I need to hear some compelling WHY MBA/WHY Now reasons- otherwise it sounds like you want a lottery ticket for MBA. If you can explain how a particular problem you faced made you think more about wanting more in the toolbox to solve complicated problems and how an MBA can help and how THIS PROGRAM can help... this will be the way to make the strongest case. So start with this list at the 25-50 range and note which schools are focusing on your areas of interest. Note the % of International students and look for >25% so you have a better shot, look at GMAT avg, and look at the biggest recruiters. Match your list to the companies that interest you most and find schools with good relationships with them. Also geography of school can be important for example, if you have a health care interest- going to a program with large medical centers or big Pharma presence etc can mean more recruiting relationships and networking opportunities there. We help people do this on an individual basis- if you want to do a free consult please go to our website at StratusPrep.com. But regardless, you need more of a strategy for WHY MBA WHY Now! Best of luck to you!

My self a Senior Process Design Engineer, having total 12 Years of work experience in Engineering, Procurement & Construction (EPC) business MNCs giants like FLUOR-USA and Technip-France.

Out of 12 years of my experience, I have 4 years of International working experience in UK, China & UAE.
I have worked in Refinery, Petrochemicals, Chemicals, Oil & Gas and Fertilizers Projects as Area lead and Team lead also. There I have handled some time around 7 people team.

I have done my Master(2004) also in Chemical Engineering from one of the premier institute of India, IIT; after clearing the national level examination with All India Rank 223.

I have got GMAT score of 620.

Kindly suggest few MBA-Schools of USA, where I can have some better chances of getting admission.

Just to inform you, I am interested in Full Time MBA Courses only.

Thanks

-Regards
Shiv