Veritas vs. EmpowerGMAT

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Veritas vs. EmpowerGMAT

by tony123 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:44 am
I'm taking the GMAT Late August-Early September. I researched couple test prep courses and have come down to
Veritas Prep and EmpowerGMAT.

Can anybody give me any suggestions of which course should I take ? My targeted school's GMAT are mid 600s.

Thank you

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:37 pm
Hi tony123,

Are you just beginning your studies or have you put in some study time already? If you're early on in the process, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

When it comes to studying for the GMAT, there are a variety of different options. Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at our website (www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) Do you have a specific goal score?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by tony123 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:46 pm
Thanks Rich

I'm planning on attending b school in Fall 2017 and taking it twice before I submit all applications.

1. Goal is to hit mid 600s
2. Finish taking GMAT before Jan 2017

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:12 pm
Hi tony123,

Based on the general timeline that you describe, you have plenty of time to study for the GMAT, which is good. While you can certainly take the GMAT more than once if need be (up to 5 times in any 12-month period), you might want to rethink the 'plan' of taking the Test twice on purpose. Pre-planning for that second attempt might actually work against your studies for the first attempt (since you might not take the whole process as seriously as you could... because you've already planned to take the GMAT twice).

We'll have a much better idea of what you'll need to work on once you've completed that initial practice CAT though.

Rich

by tony123 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:32 pm
I have always been very skeptical regarding the online session since they are all recordings. Could you elaborate more on how's empowerGMAT's online classes different than Veritas's online courses ?

PS* As far as i know, they have a teacher that teach the courses live during the set course time.

Thank you

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:29 pm
Hi tony123,

Rather than try to explain every facet of the Course in text (and have you read through it all), I think that you would likely find it far more worthwhile to actually use the materials and judge for yourself. We offer a number of free resources on our website that you can work through. You can also feel free to reach out to me (or the Support Team at [email protected]) with any additional questions that you might have.

Rich

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:13 am
There's never been an easier time to become an informed consumer. Our online classes do have live instructors, and you can see reviews here: https://reviews.beatthegmat.com/veritas- ... ive-online

You should feel free to check out our app too: https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat-iphone-apps/

In the meantime, if you have any questions, feel free to post here or PM me.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by overcomer » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:48 pm
I thought I'd chime in here because I narrowed down similarly last month. Veritas has more reviews, but both are strong. I looked at the Veritas app, and the Empower 1 hour full account. I also looked at the cost, and the guarantee in terms of which one offered a money back guarantee, and that's what I used to make a decision. I'm very pleased so far. I just scored 60 points higher on a GMAT prep mock.