Scored pretty low in the first MGMAT. Disappointed. HELP!!!!

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

I scored a pretty low score in my first MGMAT. 520 (Q36,V25). I had previously given a GMAT Prep CAT- 560 (Q43, V24).
I had studied very casually for a month after the GMAT Prep CAT and obtained this result. A bit disappointed, considering i did good in the Quant section on the first test. But i understand now that i need to dedicate myself for GMAT fully. Can anyone let me know the hours i need to put in if i need a score of 700+. I am planning to give my GMAT on 4th September.

I believe its not too late. Need some inspiration.

Please HELP!!!!!

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:17 am
ps2007 wrote:Hi,

I scored a pretty low score in my first MGMAT. 520 (Q36,V25). I had previously given a GMAT Prep CAT- 560 (Q43, V24).
I had studied very casually for a month after the GMAT Prep CAT and obtained this result. A bit disappointed, considering i did good in the Quant section on the first test. But i understand now that i need to dedicate myself for GMAT fully. Can anyone let me know the hours i need to put in if i need a score of 700+. I am planning to give my GMAT on 4th September.

I believe its not too late. Need some inspiration.

Please HELP!!!!!
You never want to read too much into a single practice test score. What you're concerned about are general trends - the trend on official tests in particular. So review this most recent test. Review the older official test as well. Generate 3-4 concrete takeaways to file away. Those takeaways might include strategic adjustments (remember that you can pick numbers if you see complex algebra) or they might be reminders to drill in weaker areas (internalize exponent rules, or practice Sentence Correction, etc.) Take a week and do some additional drilling in the required areas. Then take another practice test. Repeat this process the following week. If your next two scores are between your first two, sure, you'll need to make some fundamental adjustments to how you're studying. But if you're seeing improvement, then you know you're moving in the right direction - you just need to accept that there will be good and bad days along the way. In other words, you want to focus on process and the general trajectory of your scores.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:41 am
Hi ps2007,

It's been a little over a month since your original series of posts - at that time, you stated that you were planning to apply for Round 1 this Fall. Is that still the case? If so, then considering the timeframe that you're on, it's not clear why you would be so casual with your studies over the last month. If you want to earn a 700+ score and apply for Round 1, then you will have to stick to a consistent study routine and work hard for the next few months.

Your two scores are close enough together that they provide a reasonable estimate of your current Test-Taking knowledge and skills - if you continue to study in this way, then you will likely continue to score in the 500s. This is all meant to say that you need to make some big adjustments to your routine - right now - to accomplish all of your goals in the timeframe that you described.

1) How many hours can you commit to studying during a typical week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by ps2007 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:59 am
Hi,

I have a fixed deadline of 4th September to give the GMAT. But i was pretty busy over the last month in office. But now the work seems to have slowed down a bit. So i can concentrate more on the preparation. I needed a good plan if you are able to provide that. I can spare around 3 hours on weekdays (Mon-Fri) and around 8 hours on weekends (Sat-Sun).
Also i am looking into the below materials:
1. Manhattan Study Guides.
2. OG Review 2016 (Quant review and Verbal review as well)
3. Manhattan Practice tests (6 in total)
4. Offical GMAT Prep tests

I have identified the weak areas and those mainly include DS, SC, CR and RC. Also i have troubles in questions related to Probability and PC questions.
Planning to give serious time for another 2 weeks and then give another MGMAT. And then give MGMAT every other week.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:46 am
Hi ps2007,

Many Test Takers who use a 'book heavy' study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level, so you'll likely end up needing to invest in some non-book resources. Even the best books are limited in what they can teach you; they also can't force you to approach questions in a certain way and their explanations are often one-sided. The OG books are great sources for practice questions, but they're not designed to teach you Tactics, patterns or the little 'secrets' behind the GMAT - for those, you'll need Course-oriented materials.

You can certainly continue studying with the materials that you have, but if you end up choosing to invest in a GMAT Course of some type, then you'll want to make that choice sooner rather than later.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]