how good is the princeton review test series ?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

how good is the princeton review test series ?

by deevD » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:16 am
I wanted to know how good is the princeton review test series. I have done test 5 and 6, and scored 700 and 730 respectively. The number of question i got wrong in test 6 are as follow:

Q 51 (2/37)
V 40 (37/41)

I felt the difficulty level is low compared to MGMAT and KAPLAN.

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:49 am
Hi gmathopeful90,

The scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT is far more complicated than most people realize. Since that algorithm is proprietary, no GMAT company has an exact match for it, thus CAT scores can vary a bit based on the 'biases' involved in their respective designs.

If you've taken just the Princeton Review CATs, then you might have a 'skewed' set of CAT scores. Have you taken any of the Official GMAC CATs yet? If you have not, then you might want to take one (with the Essay and IR sections) so that you have a better sense of your current skills.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:08 am
To add to Rich's response....
The official GMAT practice test (GMATPrep) uses official GMAT questions AND the official GMAT scoring algorithm. Also keep in mind that the test-makers (GMAC) collect a lot of data on every question, and every question has been asked in a formal testing environment, so that the well-prepared test-takers are trying their very best to answer every question. While many test-prep companies have great practice tests, those companies would never suggest that their tests are as accurate as the official practice tests. These 3rd-party tests don't use retired GMAT questions, they don't use the official scoring algorithm, and the data collected on each question cannot be as accurate, because the students taking the tests aren't doing so in a formal testing environment.

So, while 3rd-party tests are great for practicing your test-taking skills, and for identifying weaknesses, you shouldn't use them as the sole basis for concluding that you haven't advanced in your studies.

I suggest taking an official practice test to see where you stand.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com