Need help deciding on an MBA program

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Need help deciding on an MBA program

by ttothel » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:51 pm
I am wondering which MBA would be best for me as a Canadian. I have 2 universities currently short listed. The first is the local York University Schulich School of Business which would cost around 55k CAD accelerated (I have a BCOMM) and I would have to commute to it after work and on weekends for night class. The other option is the University of Massachusetts which I would do online which would cost around 40k CAD or 32k USD. I would like to pay around 50k CAD or less ideally. Schulich's ranking is better, especially within Canada but UMASS would probably be better recognized worldwide, also it would be much more convenient while working and would be an "American" degree.

Looking to get some opinions, thanks!

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members

by GyanOne » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:21 pm
ttothel wrote:I am wondering which MBA would be best for me as a Canadian. I have 2 universities currently short listed. The first is the local York University Schulich School of Business which would cost around 55k CAD accelerated (I have a BCOMM) and I would have to commute to it after work and on weekends for night class. The other option is the University of Massachusetts which I would do online which would cost around 40k CAD or 32k USD. I would like to pay around 50k CAD or less ideally. Schulich's ranking is better, especially within Canada but UMASS would probably be better recognized worldwide, also it would be much more convenient while working and would be an "American" degree.

Looking to get some opinions, thanks!
ttothel,

Schulich would be a better bet for you, though it is more expensive, as it is an on-campus program. Even if you are looking to work globally, Schulich would probably get you more recognition for the same reason. In case you are planning to work in Canada in the short-term and globally in the medium to long-term, it would be not just your MBA but also your job achievements and position achieved post-MBA that would hold weight and influence.

Given all of these, Schulich is a better bet in our opinion.