Noting that the Federal Reserve

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Noting that the Federal Reserve

by Crystal W » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:04 am
Noting that the Federal Reserve had raised a key short-term interest rate against last month, analysts said that they expected orders for durable goods to decline soon because rising interest rates makes it more expensive to buy them on credit.

(A) rising interest rates makes it more expensive to buy them on credit
(B) rising interest rates make buying on credit more expensive
(C) a rise in interest rates make it more expensive to buy on credit
(D) a rise in interest rates make buying on credit more expensive
(E) a rise in interest rates makes it more expensive for them to be bought on credit
This is prep SC qs. I can eliminate choice A, C, D because the subject and verb (singular or plural)are not match. I cannot understand why E is wrong. In choice E, it instead to be bought on credit and to be bought on credit is the object. Also, I do not think the referent of them has problem because orders and durable goods are the same thing radically.
In addition, do you think make doing is a correct idiom? Or buying is used as a noun?
Thanks in advance!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:14 am
Crystal W wrote:Noting that the Federal Reserve had raised a key short-term interest rate against last month, analysts said that they expected orders for durable goods to decline soon because rising interest rates makes it more expensive to buy them on credit.

(E) a rise in interest rates makes it more expensive for them to be bought on credit
A: rates makes
Here, rates (plural) does not agree with makes (singular).
Eliminate A.

C and D: a rise...make
Here, a rise (singular) does not agree with make (plural).
Eliminate C.

E: analysts said that THEY expected orders for durable goods to decline soon because a rise in interest rates makes it more expensive for THEM to be bought on credit
Generally, forms of the same pronoun should have the same referent.
Here, they serves to refer to analysts.
As a result, a reader might construe that them also serves to refer to analysts.
Since the intended referent for them is durable goods -- and B is free of errors and avoids this issue -- eliminate E and choose B.

The correct answer is B.
In choice E, it instead to be bought on credit and to be bought on credit is the object.

E: a rise in interest rates makes it more expensive for them to be bought on credit
Here, it is an expletive serving to stand in for the portion in blue.
If we interpret that them serves to refer to durable goods, we get:
A rise in interest rates makes to be bought on credit more expensive for durable goods.
Here, the usage of for durable goods implies that durable goods WANT to be bought on credit but that the process has become more expensive for them.
This meaning is nonsensical.
I do not think the referent of them has problem because orders and durable goods are the same thing radically.
This line of reasoning is invalid.
An order is a request for a product.
E: them to be bought
Here, if them serves to refer to orders, the implication is that REQUESTS are TO BE BOUGHT.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by pnwong » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:14 pm
Hi Mitch,
I actually have another question about "Rising interest rates". When I approached this question,
I saw Choice A/B possibly go either way that the sentence has a subject of verbing or that the whole thing, "rising interest rates" is the subject. Is that correct? Thank you in advance!
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Crystal W wrote:Noting that the Federal Reserve had raised a key short-term interest rate against last month, analysts said that they expected orders for durable goods to decline soon because rising interest rates makes it more expensive to buy them on credit.

A: rates makes
Here, rates (plural) does not agree with makes (singular).
Eliminate A.

C and D: a rise...make
Here, a rise (singular) does not agree with make (plural).
Eliminate C.

E: analysts said that THEY expected orders for durable goods to decline soon because a rise in interest rates makes it more expensive for THEM to be bought on credit
Generally, forms of the same pronoun should have the same referent.
Here, they serves to refer to analysts.
As a result, a reader might construe that them also serves to refer to analysts.
Since the intended referent for them is durable goods -- and B is free of errors and avoids this issue -- eliminate E and choose B.

The correct answer is B.
In choice E, it instead to be bought on credit and to be bought on credit is the object.

E: a rise in interest rates makes it more expensive for them to be bought on credit
Here, it is an expletive serving to stand in for the portion in blue.
If we interpret that them serves to refer to durable goods, we get:
A rise in interest rates makes to be bought on credit more expensive for durable goods.
Here, the usage of for durable goods implies that durable goods WANT to be bought on credit but that the process has become more expensive for them.
I do not think the referent of them has problem because orders and durable goods are the same thing radically.
This line of reasoning is invalid.
An order is a request for a product.
E: them to be bought
Here, if them serves to refer to orders, the implication is that REQUESTS are TO BE BOUGHT.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:39 am
pnwong wrote:Hi Mitch,
I actually have another question about "Rising interest rates". When I approached this question,
I saw Choice A/B possibly go either way that the sentence has a subject of verbing or that the whole thing, "rising interest rates" is the subject. Is that correct? Thank you in advance!
OA: Rising interest rates makes buying on credit more expensive.
Here, rates (singular) is the subject for makes (also singular).
rising and interest are both ADJECTIVES serving to modify rates.
Question: What KIND of rates?
Answer: INTEREST rates.
Question: What KIND of interest rates?
Answer: RISING interest rates.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3