Graduated with a second degree

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Graduated with a second degree

by joethegmatguy » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:36 am
Hello,

About 2 years ago I graduated from one of the top universities in the middle east with a B.E in Civil Engineering with a 2.6 GPA. I had made a lot of mistakes in college and had a feeling of regret about not doing better.

I had the ambition to have a career in investment banking, I wanted to get into a good MBA program to realise that dream and with my GPA that simply wasn't possible.

So I decided to do a second degree in Business Administration in the same university and here I am 2 years later. I was able to raise my GPA to 3.3, I passed Levels I and II of the CFA while working for my business degree and I already have a 740 on the GMAT. (I've also taken some courses on edX with certifications, worked part time at a trading desk and volunteered in teaching math to Syrian refugees during the last year.)

I am currently working in a good regional investment bank and I plan to stay for around 2 years before applying for business school.

My target schools are:

London Business School
University of California at Berkeley: Haas
Northwestern University: Kellogg
Cornell University: Johnson
New York University: Stern
UCLA: Anderson

Do I have a chance with the path I took? I keep hearing conflicting views on a second degree but I think it shows how I've grown up since my first Bachelors and how determined I am to get into a good school and build a great career.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Alexbr@ClearAdmit » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:15 pm
you certainly have a better shot with the second degree, than with your original undergraduate record. A 3.3 is still below average for the schools you are targeting, so it will be still challenging. cheers, alex
New Book! Becoming a Clear Admit: The Definitive Guide to MBA Admissions. https://www.clearadmit.com/products/admi ... dmissions/

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by joethegmatguy » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:23 am
Hey Alex,

Thank you for your reply, what schools should I be targetting instead that fit my GPA and GMAT?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Alexbr@ClearAdmit » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:42 pm
with the strong GMAT, that certainly helps. If you plan to work for 2 more years, then seek out as much leadership as you can, both within work, and in community service activities. Fine tune your goals, and I think your list of schools is reasonable. cheers, alex
New Book! Becoming a Clear Admit: The Definitive Guide to MBA Admissions. https://www.clearadmit.com/products/admi ... dmissions/