Probable B schools for my profile

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Probable B schools for my profile

by rprsayz » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:50 pm
Hi All,
My name is Rajiv. I am a working professional from India and plan to pursue MBA from OK one of the top colleges in the US. However, I have no idea which B School I would get into with my current profile.

I finished my High School in 2005 and completed my Graduation in 2015.
I am currently working as a Senior Associate at a Digital Media firm and have around 8 years of Work Experience.

If I manage to get a score between 680-720 in GMAT, would any of the top business schools allow me an admit.

Also, what would be the best B School in terms of ROI.

Guidance is highly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,
Rajiv.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by GeneralEducation » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:09 am
Hi Rajiv,

Generally B-Schools consider work experience which you gained post completion of your graduation but still you can check with adcom regarding your 8 years work ex. For best ROI you need to target top 20-25 range B-schools and it is highly competitive to get there.You need to target 720+ score, strong academics, profile and solid application to get there.Shortlisting B-schools mainly depends on your post MBA career goals, which sector you want to get into? so first step for you is to brainstorm about your career goals and get started soon with application process.

Wish you all the best! To assess your chances for top B-schools visit here https://goo.gl/mJ3AhG

Regards
Manish
Director (ISB Alumnus)
General Education - India's premier GMAT & Application Consulting company

Get Advice: +91- 90350 50056 | Email Us: [email protected]

Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:50 pm
Rajiv,

There seems to be an error in years here? If you did your graduation in 2015, not sure about the 8 years experience.

GMAT is only one aspect of the profile. Make sure you are not doing the mistake of using that alone to decide the schools as elaborated here.
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by rprsayz » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:31 pm
Thank You Manish and Manish for replying.

A lot of people have asked me that question about having 8 years of work ex despite graduating in 2015.

The thing is, by the time I completed my HSC in 2005, my father had to quit his job because of health issues and hence the onus was on me to look after my family. Also, I have a younger brother,who at that time was about to complete school and wanted to pursue engineering at a diploma and a degree level. So, I had no option but to quit studies temporarily and focus on earning and saving money. Finally, by 2012 my brother secured admission in B.E and thats when I decided to start and complete my Graduation.

I have secured a First Class throughout my Graduation. Now, my only worry is, with this kind of profile, would it make any sense for me to even think of pursuing an MBA course from a top 25 college? Would they even consider my profile if I manage to get a score of 700+. If the answer is yes, then I am all in for GMAT. However, I doubt whether there has been such a case as mine, where the candidate was successful in getting through.

Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by GeneralEducation » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:36 am
rprsayz wrote:Thank You Manish and Manish for replying.

A lot of people have asked me that question about having 8 years of work ex despite graduating in 2015.

The thing is, by the time I completed my HSC in 2005, my father had to quit his job because of health issues and hence the onus was on me to look after my family. Also, I have a younger brother,who at that time was about to complete school and wanted to pursue engineering at a diploma and a degree level. So, I had no option but to quit studies temporarily and focus on earning and saving money. Finally, by 2012 my brother secured admission in B.E and thats when I decided to start and complete my Graduation.

I have secured a First Class throughout my Graduation. Now, my only worry is, with this kind of profile, would it make any sense for me to even think of pursuing an MBA course from a top 25 college? Would they even consider my profile if I manage to get a score of 700+. If the answer is yes, then I am all in for GMAT. However, I doubt whether there has been such a case as mine, where the candidate was successful in getting through.
Hi Rajiv,

Thanks for quick reply, go ahead and apply for top schools. I don't see much weaknesses in your profile except education gap. You can justify this with strong essays and application. Also if you have weak academics then try to compensate that with high GMAT score.

Regards
Manish
Director (ISB Alumnus)
General Education - India's premier GMAT & Application Consulting company

Get Advice: +91- 90350 50056 | Email Us: [email protected]

Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:02 pm
rprsayz wrote:Thank You Manish and Manish for replying.

<<snip>>

consider my profile if I manage to get a score of 700+. If the answer is yes, then I am all in for GMAT. However, I doubt whether there has been such a case as mine, where the candidate was successful in getting through.
Rajiv,

The good news is that your case is not unique. We have personally worked with candidates with this kind of gap who have gone to some top schools. The years of gap though is a bit on the higher side. Even so, I don't think this is a deal breaker and something you should let come in the way of your dreams. So definitely go for it!

Cheers,
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:32 am
Hi Rajiv,
I'd like to add my thoughts on the good advice you've already received. I"d just caution you to not look at this as all GMAT driven. You are in a highly competitive pool which means that schools have the luxury of finding candidates with high GMATs AND interesting profiles and strong work experience. But part of what sets a candidate apart- assuming the base is there with GMAT and school performance- which looks like it is in your case-- is that you need to do some research on the schools themselves and also have some very clear post MBA goals that make sense given your background. I know- all of this is easier said than done- and there are no shortcuts. A firm like ours at StratusPrep would spend a lot of time on the front end really understanding what makes you come alive. From that, we'd help you clarify your key themes and then give you guidance on how to best showcase those core themes in the application process. I suggest you get on the mailing lists for all schools that you'd like to learn more about and try to attend an online chat or webinar to get a first pass of feel for school. Then seek out talking to current students- never been easier to get in touch with a current student as that is all online now-- and then try to talk to students who are doing some of the experiential learning and classes of greatest interest. The people who take the time to do this end up standing out. Let us know if we can help you with a free consult - you can go to StratusPrep.com to sign up. Good luck to you.
rprsayz wrote:Hi All,
My name is Rajiv. I am a working professional from India and plan to pursue MBA from OK one of the top colleges in the US. However, I have no idea which B School I would get into with my current profile.

I finished my High School in 2005 and completed my Graduation in 2015.
I am currently working as a Senior Associate at a Digital Media firm and have around 8 years of Work Experience.

If I manage to get a score between 680-720 in GMAT, would any of the top business schools allow me an admit.

Also, what would be the best B School in terms of ROI.

Guidance is highly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,
Rajiv.