Chances for a biomedical engineer in a med. device startup

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

I'm a biomedical engineer, with an interest in disrupting the surgical /healthcare space through surgical robotics. I've worked as a robotics engineer for about 3 years in 2 different companies, currently based in a Silicon Valley medical device startup doing some revolutionary work in the cardiac afib space.

I'd like to pursue an MBA because I'd like to tie the clinical and technical/engineering knowledge I've gained over my years in school/work to influence product vision, technology acquisition and business growth in a large medical device company.

On the side, I'm trying to push an education/literacy initiative in surgical robotics to high school students at risk schools in the Bay Area, to get more diversity in STEM fields. I'd like to grow this beyond the bay are and grow the program to schools across the US. I rolled out a pilot of the program when doing graduate school in Canada, and received very positive feedback from students, teachers, doctors, and engineers.

A bit about my educational background - I pursued my undergraduate work in biomedical engineering from the University of Toronto (top engineering school in Canada, top 10 in North America), and graduated with a cGPA of 3.1. I pursued my masters in the same field at the same school, and got a 4.0GPA.

I'm currently studying for my GMATs and hope to get a score above 730.

Is this a profile that would look appealing to a top-5 Business school? Is a high graduate school GPA and GMAT sufficient to counteract a low undergraduate GPA?

Thanks!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by [email protected] » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:56 pm
With your profile and that 730+ that you are getting in your GMAT, Stanford, MIT, Carnegie Mellon, Darden, Berkeley and UCLA would be great schools to apply to because their programs are geared to innovation and social responsibility.

About your GPA, your masters GPA carries more weight than your undergraduate GPA because it is more updated so it won't affect your application.

For more information about best programs for MBA industries take a look at our video or sign up for a FREE Consultation to help you start your candidacy.
As GM of MBAitNow I make sure that every client receives the attention they deserve and experience our well-structured approach and process that ensures that they will have the best chances to get accepted at their dream schools.

My team and I had placed clients at MBA programs such as, HBS, SLOAN, ANDERSON, STERN, WHARTON, BOOTH, KELLOGG, HAAS, DARDEN, FUQUA, ROSS, etc.