Citizens of Parktown are worried that....

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:740

Citizens of Parktown are worried that....

by nchaswal » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:50 am
Can someone help me with what should be the step by step strategy for this CR question ?

It would really be amazing if one can explain what to do first, then what next and so on. I want to know the mechanism to solve this Q.
Attachments
VQ1.png
It is GMAT. So what?

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:29 am
nchaswal wrote:Can someone help me with what should be the step by step strategy for this CR question ?

It would really be amazing if one can explain what to do first, then what next and so on. I want to know the mechanism to solve this Q.
Conclusion: Late evening curfew unlikely to decrease frequency of serious crimes committed by teenagers

Premise: Most teenage crimes take place between 3 and 6 pm.

We're trying to weaken this argument, so let's try to find a gap between the conclusion and the premise. The citizens of Parktown want to decrease the frequency of serious crimes. The author is worried that a curfew won't work, because most teenage crimes overall occur between 3 and 6 pm, when teenagers might still be out. Notice the gap: the citizens are worried about serious crimes, but the premise includes evidence about overall crimes. So even if most crimes overall are happening between 3 and 6, if those crimes are relatively trivial, the curfew could still work, because that would mean that the serious crimes are happening later, and those are the ones the citizens of Parktown care about.

Answer choice B reveals that the afternoon crimes are mostly trivial. If that's case, then a curfew could still work, as it's the serious crimes that we're trying to prevent.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:770

by OptimusPrep » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:13 pm
nchaswal wrote:Can someone help me with what should be the step by step strategy for this CR question ?

We need to focus on the problem that we are trying to solve here. - SERIOUS CRIMES.
Premise: Teenagers are to be kept in the the homes in late evenings, still the author feels that the crimes will not be reduced.

If we can shoe that the serious crimes happen later in the evening, then we can weaken the judgement of the author.

Option B says that the crimes that happen between 3 and 6 are petty crimes. This directly points that the serious crimes happen late at night.
hence we can weaken the judgement of the author.

Correct Option: B

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:49 am
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3