Kaplan Free Diagnostic test difficulty

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

Based on your personal experiences, could you please tell me how difficult are Kaplan free test's quant and verbal section compared to actual GMAT?

I am looking for responses in the lines of
- "Maths is easier/more difficult/similar in Kaplan as to the actual GMAT maths"
- "Quant is easier/more difficult/similar in Kaplan as to the actual GMAT Quant"

Any other information on the topic is also welcomed. Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:45 am
Hi agrawalankit99,

The scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT is far more complicated than most people realize. Since that algorithm is proprietary, no GMAT company has an exact match for it, thus CAT scores can vary a bit based on the 'biases' involved in their respective designs. That having been said, while the most accurate CATs are the 6 CATs available from GMAC (the 2 free CATs and the 4 others that come with Exam Pack 1 and Exam Pack 2), the CATs from Kaplan, MGMAT and Veritas are all 'close enough' to the real thing to provide a reasonably accurate score assessment (assuming that YOU use the CATs correctly).

I assume you're asking about this because you have some questions about your CAT results.

1) How long have you studied?
2) What materials have you used?
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by agrawalankit99 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:06 am
Hi Rich,

Thanks for the quick response.

I actually gave the test today. I have studied for a month now and I am planning to give the GMAT in a month's time. So I just wanted to know how does the Kaplan test difficulty fares against the actual GMAT. I know there is no way of answering this question with utmost confidence. But there are folks who have given the test and the GMAT. So I want to know based on these folks own experiences, did they get, say 30 points higher in GMAT or 20 lower in GMAT?

Ankit

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:55 pm
Hi Ankit.

Maybe your best bet is to take one of the official practice tests from the free GMAT Prep software and answer your own question, as those official practice tests are rather similar to the actual GMAT.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.