Request for Profile Evaluation

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:740

Request for Profile Evaluation

by Maddy392 » Sun May 29, 2016 1:29 am
Hello,

It would of great help to me if you could provide your expert opinion, based on my profile as below, regarding my chances of getting into a business school in USA. Suggestions regarding target schools would be great as well.

Ethnicity :- Indian, 25 years old, Male

GMAT Score :- 740 (Q50,V40,IR 7)

Undergrad score :- 3.24 (Branch: Mechanical Engg, IIT Madras)

Grad School :- Global MBA, Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea

Work Ex :- 3.5 Years ( by 2017 Aug ) @ Hyundai Motor's HQ in Seoul as a product manager

International Experience :- 3.5 years; directly handled products (automobiles) for various global markets including India, USA & Europe.

Professional Performance :- Only non-Korean product manager at the HQ. Fluent in Korean and one of the few foreigners to handle international products. Delivered professional presentations to audiences ranging from dealers to international product mangagers.

Extra curriculars :-
a) Secretary of the Dept. of Mechanical Engg at IIT
b) Part of the silver medal winning basketball team in college.
c) Taking active leadership role among the foreign community at my firm.

Future Plan :- planning to study and learn more about product marketing and work as a marketing/business consultant in the future.

Target schools : Kellogg, Ross, Wharton, Columbia, Stern and Harvard

Thanks,
Maddy

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:42 am
Hi Maddy,
You have a lot of great things going for you here, and some material I need to understand better in order to assess your profile for the top MBA schools on your list. International exposure and GMAT are excellent, and it sounds like you have a lot of front-facing leadership in the workplace.

First question: 3.24 at IIT Madras - is that the "converted" CPA? Normally I see Indian GPAs on a different scale, and I am used to that format, so it's hard for me to assess this.

Second - and this is a big one - you already have an MBA? Was this a part-time MBA earned while you were working? This can be a tough sell for top full-time business schools, so it's a topic we would need to strategize in detail: why do you need another MBA? Where specifically are you heading post-MBA? Goals would be crucial in convincing the admissions committees to give you a seat in their class when you have already completed a similar course of study. It's by no means impossible, but sometimes I've seen applicants with your profile have more success at a top school's one-year program, such as Kellogg's or Stern's.

HBS probably wouldn't go for it, but I can understand that this is a dream school, and you will want to go for your dream - just keep your feet on the ground while you're aiming for the stars!

I don't always use this space to promote our services, but you look like someone who could do with some serious professional MBA consulting sessions to set goals and strategy. You are bringing some good material to your application, but if I'm reading this right, you'll also need some serious strategic assistance making your strongest case.

Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me