GMAT prep question pack1 vs OG quant & verbal guides

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi,
I have OG 2016 Quantitative and Verbal Review Guides.
Are the questions in GMAT prep question pack1 from above guides - I mean is there any overlap OR the questions in prep question pack1 entirely different from above review guides?

If I have review guides do I still need to buy question pack1?

Also is there any overlap in questions between below OG products-
Question pack1
Exam Pack1
Exam pack2

Pls advise

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Wed May 25, 2016 6:55 am
Anantjit wrote:Hi,
I have OG 2016 Quantitative and Verbal Review Guides.
Are the questions in GMAT prep question pack1 from above guides - I mean is there any overlap OR the questions in prep question pack1 entirely different from above review guides?

If I have review guides do I still need to buy question pack1?

Also is there any overlap in questions between below OG products-
Question pack1
Exam Pack1
Exam pack2

Pls advise
So far as I can tell, the above are all distinct products. On occasion, I've seen a question from, say, the quant supplement show up in the original GMATPrep exams. And I've had students mention that they saw one or two duplicates from exam pack 1 to exam pack 2, but in my experience this is rare enough that it's not worth worrying about.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Anantjit » Wed May 25, 2016 7:42 am
Thanks for reply.
Also can you advise some good practice CATs for quant and verbal individually .
Manhattan and veritas have CATs but that include full test.
For practice I need CATs especially for quant. Are there any such available on veritas or elsewhere?

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Wed May 25, 2016 7:54 am
Anantjit wrote:Thanks for reply.
Also can you advise some good practice CATs for quant and verbal individually .
Manhattan and veritas have CATs but that include full test.
For practice I need CATs especially for quant. Are there any such available on veritas or elsewhere?
A few options:

1) Use our question bank: https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat-question-bank/
set a stop-watch to 75 minutes and do 37 questions

(You can also do the same thing with Official Guide questions online here: https://gmat.wiley.com/

2) Use your conventional tests and simply click through a section you don't wish to practice. (Though I'd encourage you to do the entire exam, even if you're looking for practice in one area. It never hurts to build stamina.)

3) There are sites such as GMAT Club that offer quant-only tests.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed May 25, 2016 8:59 am
Hi Anantjit,

When you take a CAT, if your goal is to receive a realistic score assessment, then you really have to be strict about HOW you take the CAT. The more the 'CAT-taking event' deviates from what you'll face on Test Day, the more likely the score is to be inaccurate (and in most cases, that means "inflated"). As such, you should make sure to take a NEW CAT each time, with the Essay/IR sections, away from your home, at the same time of day as your Official GMAT, etc. Taking an individual section (either Quant or Verbal) 'out of context' of the full GMAT is NOT a realistic experience. You won't be allowed to do that on the actual Exam so you shouldn't be practicing that way.

Beyond those details, it's important to remember that taking lots of CATs will NOT make you a better Test Taker. A CAT is really a 'measuring device' - when used correctly, it will give you a realistic score and help define your strengths and weaknesses, but it will NOT help you to fix any of those weaknesses. To raise your scores, you have to put in the necessary practice and repetitions. The CAT will show you whether your studies are helping you to improve or not.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]