Profile Evaluation

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Profile Evaluation

by Gmatasap » Wed May 18, 2016 3:59 am
Could any one please help me out on what colleges could be interested in me! I would like to go for an MBA- finance in the best college that I could get into.

I am a Chartered Accountant-ICAI-India (I dont think it will add any value), graduate B.Com(H)- University of Delhi.
I also have an LLb- Tribhuvan University.
I have 4 years work experience- managerial role and an additional 3 and 1/2 years work experience during my Chartered Accountancy.

My grades in graduation- 59.66% are bad and High School Scores are not so good either- 71.85%.

I was not a full time student in my college so I dont have any major Extra Curricular-s to show.
I have two publications in National Level Magazines to my credit, am engaged in one International Service Club.

I have been getting around 680-720 in my recent GMAT practice tests.

Is there any thing extra I that I need to tell?

I will be taking my tests on Second week of June, and I expect my score to be around 700.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Thu May 19, 2016 2:59 am
A few thoughts for you to ponder on Gmatasap:
  1. Not sure why you mention that the CA won't help? It is a good professional qualification. The articleship and 15 years of education though has to be taken into account on a case by case basis. Read here and here for more on this.
  2. The most important thing to understand more of is your experience. Managerial role doesn't give away much/anything. What is the nature of your work and achievements therein? That plays a huge role in your overall candidature.
  3. On the GMAT front, if you think you have more potential, and assuming you haven't tried it out yet, go ahead and seek professional help. While R1 is preferred, it is never at the cost of a sub-optimal application. So don't cut corners there. This is all the more important given the modest undergrad performance you have.
  4. Finally, for reasons mentioned here, I will not speculate on your school selection. But the information in your post is pretty scanty in any case to do a good profile evaluation. So feel free to post a follow-on query.
Hope this helps some.

Cheers,
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Gmatasap » Thu May 19, 2016 4:10 am
Dear mcbMcK
Thank you very much for going through my scanty post :), the links to the articles on acceptance of articleship as an experience, and the acceptability of 15 years of education.
Can you please tell me if my LLb-3 years will add on to count my number of years of schooling.
Can you Please tell me the things i need to add to do a good profile evaluation.
Please bear with me, I am new to GMAT and dont know much about anything.

Gmatasap

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Edison@VeritasPrep » Tue May 24, 2016 7:14 pm
Gmatasap wrote:Could any one please help me out on what colleges could be interested in me! I would like to go for an MBA- finance in the best college that I could get into.

I am a Chartered Accountant-ICAI-India (I dont think it will add any value), graduate B.Com(H)- University of Delhi.
I also have an LLb- Tribhuvan University.
I have 4 years work experience- managerial role and an additional 3 and 1/2 years work experience during my Chartered Accountancy.

My grades in graduation- 59.66% are bad and High School Scores are not so good either- 71.85%.

I was not a full time student in my college so I dont have any major Extra Curricular-s to show.
I have two publications in National Level Magazines to my credit, am engaged in one International Service Club.

I have been getting around 680-720 in my recent GMAT practice tests.

Is there any thing extra I that I need to tell?

I will be taking my tests on Second week of June, and I expect my score to be around 700.
Thanks for sharing.

As you work on your essays, and in presenting your profile, it would help to recognize and play up what you have gained with the schools, organizations, and activities you have been involved with. You would want to present them as helping you one way or another in terms of personal and professional development, and towards your career goals. Showing how your MBA at the target program would you achieve this will help demonstrate your keen interest and fit.

Do as well as you can on the GMAT by investing the necessary time and resources as this could be the difference in getting admitted or even winning scholarships.

Wish you all the best!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Tue May 24, 2016 9:30 pm
Gmatasap wrote:Dear mcbMcK
Thank you very much for going through my scanty post :), the links to the articles on acceptance of articleship as an experience, and the acceptability of 15 years of education.
Can you please tell me if my LLb-3 years will add on to count my number of years of schooling.
Can you Please tell me the things i need to add to do a good profile evaluation.
Please bear with me, I am new to GMAT and dont know much about anything.

Gmatasap

It would help to know the nature of your experience and achievements therein. It will also be useful to understand things you do outside of work that may be worth a mention among others.

If the LLB was a full time course, it may count - but best to double check on this with the schools you are targeting.

Cheers,
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com