To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, and she remained in France during the Second World War as a performer and an intelligence agent for the Resistance

A. To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate
B. For Joshephine baker, long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, paris was her home
C. Joshephine baker made Paris her home long before to be an expatriate was fashionable expatriate
D. Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home
E. Long before it was fashionable being an expatriate, Paris was home to Josephine Baker

Correct answer is D
My question is: why, in option D, the phrase - Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate - is modifying Josephine Baker instead of Paris? Here 'it' is not referring to 'Paris'?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:21 members

by David@GMATPrepNow » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:04 am
Hi chetan86,

You are right, the correct answer is D. And you are also right that, at first glance, there seems to be something a little weird with that answer: what does "it" refer to? It looks weird because, as a general rule, "it" is a pronoun, and pronouns refer to other nouns (or other pronouns).

The reason that this sentence is the correct answer is that the pronoun "it" can also be used as a subject replacement in sentences that do not have a natural subject. For example:

It is hot outside.

The rule is that, when serving as a subject replacement in such a sentence, the pronoun "it" does not need to refer to anything.

Here is another example:

It was fashionable to be an expatriate long before the war was over.

In the example above, I have used a time reference ("before the war"). Sentences with a time reference are exempt from the rule that pronouns need to modify the noun immediately close to them. In the case of answer D, "Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home..." the "it" answers the question "When?" - a time reference - and so it is perfectly correct.

I hope this helps.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:37 am
In the OA above, it serves as an EXPLETIVE: a placeholder pronoun serving to DELAY THE SUBJECT.
On the GMAT, the delayed subject will typically be either an INFINITIVE PHRASE or a THAT-CLAUSE.

Case 1: it = delayed infinitive
IT is easy TO LIKE MARY.
Here, it is standing in for to like Mary.
Conveyed meaning:
TO LIKE MARY is easy.

Case 2: it = delayed that-clause
IT was not until last year THAT JOHN BEGAN WRITING.
Here, it is standing in for that John began writing.
Conveyed meaning:
THAT JOHN BEGAN WRITING was not until last year.

OA: It was fashionable to be an expatriate.
Here, it is standing in for to be an expatriate.
Conveyed meaning:
TO BE AN EXPATRIATE was fashionable.

Generally, an introductory modifier serves as an ADVERB modifying the VERB in the following clause.
Example:
Last year, Mary attended college.
Here, last year serves as an ADVERB modifying attended -- the verb in the following clause -- indicating WHEN Mary ATTENDED college.
WHEN did Mary ATTEND college?
She attended college LAST YEAR.

OA: Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home.
Here, long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate serves as an adverb modifying made -- the verb in the following clause -- indicating WHEN Josephine Baker MADE Paris her home.
WHEN did Josephine Baker make Paris her home?
She made Paris her home LONG BEFORE IT WAS FASHIONABLE TO BE AN EXPATRIATE.
David@GMATPrepNow wrote:For example:

It is hot outside.

The rule is that, when serving as a subject replacement in such a sentence, the pronoun "it" does not need to refer to anything.
On the GMAT, it must always have a clear referent.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by chetan86 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:29 am
Hi Mitch/David,

Thanks a lot for your explanation.
I read in MGMAT SC guide about Placeholder 'It' but was not aware that it is applicable here.
When I read this concept in MGMAT SC guide, I did understand much but now it is clear how Placeholder 'It' works .

Thanks you!!! :D

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Crystal W » Thu May 19, 2016 10:32 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:In the OA above, it serves as an EXPLETIVE: a placeholder pronoun serving to DELAY THE SUBJECT.
On the GMAT, the delayed subject will typically be either an INFINITIVE PHRASE or a THAT-CLAUSE.

IT is easy TO LIKE MARY.
Conveyed meaning:
TO LIKE MARY is easy.

Conveyed meaning:

Conveyed meaning:

Generally, an introductory modifier serves as an ADVERB modifying the VERB in the following clause.
Example:
Here, last year serves as an ADVERB modifying attended -- the verb in the following clause -- indicating WHEN Mary ATTENDED college.

OA: Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home.
Here, long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate serves as an adverb modifying made -- the verb in the following clause -- indicating WHEN Josephine Baker MADE Paris her home.
David@GMATPrepNow wrote:For example:

It is hot outside.

Because of this reason, the OG said "The adverb clause 'long ... expatriate' is best placed before the main clause." Am I correct?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri May 20, 2016 3:49 am
Crystal W wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:In the OA above, it serves as an EXPLETIVE: a placeholder pronoun serving to DELAY THE SUBJECT.

IT is easy TO LIKE MARY.
Conveyed meaning:
TO LIKE MARY is easy.

Conveyed meaning:

Conveyed meaning:

Example:

Because of this reason, the OG said "The adverb clause 'long ... expatriate' is best placed before the main clause." Am I correct?
Correct.

A: Paris was her home long before it was fashionable.
Here, the modifier in red follows the main clause.
As a result, it seems to refer to Paris, implying that PARIS was not always fashionable.
Not the intended meaning.
(The French would aver that Paris has ALWAYS been fashionable.)

Here, the modifier in red PRECEDES the main clause.
As a result, the referent for it is crystal clear:
it = to be an expatriate.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3