The recycling of municipal solid waste

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

The recycling of municipal solid waste

by fighting_cax » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:24 am
The recycling of municipal solid waste is widely seen as an environmentally preferable alternative to the prevailing practices of incineration and of dumping in landfills. Recycling is profitable, as the recycling programs already in operation demonstrate. A state legislator proposes that communities should therefore be required to adopt recycling and to reach the target of recycling 50 percent of all solid waste within 5 years.
Which of the following, if true, most seriously calls into question the advisability of implementing the proposal?
(A) Existing recycling programs have been voluntary, with citizen participation ranging from 30 percent in some communities to 80 percent in others.
(B) Existing recycling programs have been restricted to that 20 percent of solid waste that, when reprocessed, can match processed raw materials in quality and price.
(C) Existing recycling programs have had recurrent difficulties finding purchasers for their materials usually because of quantities too small to permit cost-effective pickup and transportation.
(D) Some of the materials that can be recycled are the very materials that, when incinerated, produce the least pollution.
(E) Many of the materials that cannot be recycled are also difficult to incinerate.

OA is B

Please explain why the other choices are not correct.

by SanjeevK » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:14 am
IMO B

A: talks about the recycling programs being voluntary. If people are doing it voluntarily, there is no reason why they will not do it when asked to do so. OUT
C: If existing recycling program have led to difficulties because the quantities are small, recycling 50% is likely to increase the quantity. OUT
D: Out of scope
E: Out of Scope.
Only B points out a weakness by indicating that increasing the percentage to 50 may not be profitable. This contradicts the premise that Recycling is profitable.

Hope this helps

by kate.loo » Mon May 16, 2016 12:42 am
I would choose . But i am not sure of my answer

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:770

by OptimusPrep » Thu May 19, 2016 4:00 am
kate.loo wrote:I would choose . But i am not sure of my answer
Can you tell me the option in which you are facing a problem, so that I can try to explain that particular option.