profile evaluation and bschool advice, Thanks!!

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello all, thanks in advance for all your help and advice. havenot written essays or anything, prep for 2017 application, and it's good cuz it gives me time to polish everything a bit more to present the best of myself.

here's a bit about my profile:
1. BSc in Engineering, undergrad GPA 2.8/4.0 from ohio state
2. GMAT 710
3. passed CFA level 1 exam, preparing for level 2 this december
4. currently working as a physical asset management analyst for an oil company for almost 3 years, with knowledge of reliability engineering, asset management maintenance cycles, procurement to pay cycles, etc.
5. speak english, japanese with full professional proficiency, and french (medium level) and have been translating subtitles for TED Talk over 1 year now and also do translations for individuals and companies.
6. managing an online store selling mainly exotic asian tea and other stuff for almost 1 year, not super profitable, but i do make some bucks lolol

I want to go to the financial asset management side, and focus on that so i can kind of connect my past career to the program, and broaden my view and understanding of asset management. (not sure how related they actually are)

not really have a lot of schools in mind, but i do have some dream schools that i'd love to go, relocation is not a problem, personally prefer a big city.

-Yale (i wish lol)
-NYU Stern
-Cornell Johnson
-UW Foster
-Georgetown
-Carnegie Mellon
-UCLA

also considering UBC in canada, love VANCOUVER. lol

Let me know what you think, and any other school suggestions and advice, thank you all so so much![/list]

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:332 members

by Jon@Admissionado » Mon May 09, 2016 10:13 pm
Hey there!
Good to hear from you.
A few questions before I can answer you:
-How old are you? Gender?
- From what country?
- Can you give me any info about ECs or volunteer work?
- Do you manage any people at work or anywhere else?

Best,
Jon
"Hands down the best MBA admissions consulting firm of all-time, and boy, what an incredible founder!" -- Raj Patil, Founder of Admissionado

Something for everyone:
https://admissionado.lpages.co/admissio ... nter-2018/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/50-essay ... ked-vol-4/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/case-studies-lp/
https://admissionado.com/mba/reviews/
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Admis ... 700945.htm

Reach out, and let's gab. Our only requirement is that you don't prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 866-409-4753
Hit us up on WhatsApp.
Ping our satellite: 0884#&@-2#101101
Contact us via web form you lazy git: https://admissionado.com/contact/
Mostly, email Claudia.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Personal MBA Coach » Tue May 10, 2016 4:16 am
shiyuan222 wrote:Hello all, thanks in advance for all your help and advice. havenot written essays or anything, prep for 2017 application, and it's good cuz it gives me time to polish everything a bit more to present the best of myself.

2. GMAT 710
4. currently working as a physical asset management analyst for an oil company for almost 3 years, with knowledge of reliability engineering, asset management maintenance cycles, procurement to pay cycles, etc.
5. speak english, japanese with full professional proficiency, and french (medium level) and have been translating subtitles for TED Talk over 1 year now and also do translations for individuals and companies.
6. managing an online store selling mainly exotic asian tea and other stuff for almost 1 year, not super profitable, but i do make some bucks lolol

I want to go to the financial asset management side, and focus on that so i can kind of connect my past career to the program, and broaden my view and understanding of asset management. (not sure how related they actually are)

not really have a lot of schools in mind, but i do have some dream schools that i'd love to go, relocation is not a problem, personally prefer a big city.

-Yale (i wish lol)
-NYU Stern
-Cornell Johnson
-UW Foster
-Georgetown
-Carnegie Mellon
-UCLA

Let me know what you think, and any other school suggestions and advice, thank you all so so much![/list]
Thanks for your post! Based on what I see here, Georgetown, Foster and Johnson would be reasonable schools to apply to, with Johnson being at the top of the list. NYU Stern may not work out, but then again it depends on the extras you can offer (i.e. accomplishments outside of work, extra-currics, the strength of your personal story). In addition to Carnegie Mellon, you should take a look at USC. UBC is a nice option for you. Are you considering only full-time programs?

Good luck and let me know if you want to chat further.

Best,
Scott

by shiyuan222 » Tue May 10, 2016 7:00 am
Hi Jon, thanks for the reply!

-i'm 27, male
-Currently working in Seattle, and originally from Columbus
-volunteer exp includes
1.fund raising/event planning for a NPO as a coordinator/planner, manage 3-4 people
2.helping new immigrants
3.local library services, event planning
-unfortunately i don't always manage people at work, i only manage 1 or 2 contractors for a short period of time for small projects (3-4 months).

Anything else i can do to strength my profile? Could you please advise other schools that i have a bigger chance getting an offer from? Thanks so much!

Jon@Admissionado wrote:Hey there!
Good to hear from you.
A few questions before I can answer you:
-How old are you? Gender?
- From what country?
- Can you give me any info about ECs or volunteer work?
- Do you manage any people at work or anywhere else?

Best,
Jon

by shiyuan222 » Tue May 10, 2016 7:07 am
Thanks for the reply! Yes, i'm only considering full time programs. I know my undergrad GPA is the biggest problem for me, so i'm also considering a management master program right now, get better grades and gain more exp etc. in order to apply for a better MBA if necessary.

Personal MBA Coach wrote:
shiyuan222 wrote:Hello all, thanks in advance for all your help and advice. havenot written essays or anything, prep for 2017 application, and it's good cuz it gives me time to polish everything a bit more to present the best of myself.

2. GMAT 710

-Yale (i wish lol)
-NYU Stern
-Cornell Johnson
-UW Foster
-Georgetown
-Carnegie Mellon
-UCLA

Thanks for your post! Based on what I see here, Georgetown, Foster and Johnson would be reasonable schools to apply to, with Johnson being at the top of the list. NYU Stern may not work out, but then again it depends on the extras you can offer (i.e. accomplishments outside of work, extra-currics, the strength of your personal story). In addition to Carnegie Mellon, you should take a look at USC. UBC is a nice option for you. Are you considering only full-time programs?

Best,
Scott

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Personal MBA Coach » Tue May 10, 2016 7:17 am
You may want to consider retaking the GMAT instead of going for the masters in management if the only reason for the MiM is to get into a good MBA program. The MiM grades would help you, but you could get a better ROI (both time and money) by focusing on the GMAT for now.

Reach out if you want any tutoring support.

Best,
Scott
shiyuan222 wrote:Thanks for the reply! Yes, i'm only considering full time programs. I know my undergrad GPA is the biggest problem for me, so i'm also considering a management master program right now, get better grades and gain more exp etc. in order to apply for a better MBA if necessary.

2. GMAT 710

-Yale (i wish lol)
-NYU Stern
-Cornell Johnson
-UW Foster
-Georgetown
-Carnegie Mellon
-UCLA

Best,
Scott

by shiyuan222 » Tue May 10, 2016 7:27 am
fair enough and understood, thanks! As per GMAT score, i've got 710 for now, and not sure how much room left to improve the score. Any suggestions? will 740+ help? Thank you so much again!

Personal MBA Coach wrote:You may want to consider retaking the GMAT instead of going for the masters in management if the only reason for the MiM is to get into a good MBA program. The MiM grades would help you, but you could get a better ROI (both time and money) by focusing on the GMAT for now.

Reach out if you want any tutoring support.

Best,
Scott
shiyuan222 wrote:Thanks for the reply! Yes, i'm only considering full time programs. I know my undergrad GPA is the biggest problem for me, so i'm also considering a management master program right now, get better grades and gain more exp etc. in order to apply for a better MBA if necessary.

2. GMAT 710

-Yale (i wish lol)
-NYU Stern
-Cornell Johnson
-UW Foster
-Georgetown
-Carnegie Mellon
-UCLA

Best,
Scott

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Knitgeek » Wed May 11, 2016 12:40 pm
Hi shiyuan222,

If you are interested in going to school in Vancouver have you looked at SFU as well? I'm not sure their program would be what you are looking for exactly as they don't offer specializations the same way that UBC does but personally from my research I'm leaning to SFU over UBC.

Obviously there is more prestige associated with UBC but the feedback I've gotten from talking to alumni of both schools is that SFU is a bit more well rounded in the scope of their program. In your case though I don't know if that is a positive or a negative.

Cost wise SFU is a fair bit less expensive and in terms of housing there are more affordable options closer to the SFU campus.

For both schools though your current GMAT will definitely be enough. I don't remember the GPA requirements for UBC off the top of my head but I know SFU is looking for 3.0. That being said I've talked to a bunch of people who were just under that still had no issues getting in because the rest of their profile made up for the lower GPA (I'm hoping the same holds true for me... my undergrad GPA is 2.9).

Hope that was some help! Good luck!

Good luck in your

by shiyuan222 » Mon May 16, 2016 1:23 pm
Hi Knitgeek, thank you so much for advice! I haven't thought about SFU yet, because i'm not entirely sure whether or not I will stay in Canada or the states after MBA, so I personally prefer UBC for its internal reputation. I will look into it tho. Thanks again, and good luck on your application!!
Knitgeek wrote:Hi shiyuan222,

If you are interested in going to school in Vancouver have you looked at SFU as well? I'm not sure their program would be what you are looking for exactly as they don't offer specializations the same way that UBC does but personally from my research I'm leaning to SFU over UBC.

Obviously there is more prestige associated with UBC but the feedback I've gotten from talking to alumni of both schools is that SFU is a bit more well rounded in the scope of their program. In your case though I don't know if that is a positive or a negative.

Cost wise SFU is a fair bit less expensive and in terms of housing there are more affordable options closer to the SFU campus.

For both schools though your current GMAT will definitely be enough. I don't remember the GPA requirements for UBC off the top of my head but I know SFU is looking for 3.0. That being said I've talked to a bunch of people who were just under that still had no issues getting in because the rest of their profile made up for the lower GPA (I'm hoping the same holds true for me... my undergrad GPA is 2.9).

Hope that was some help! Good luck!

Good luck in your

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Knitgeek » Tue May 17, 2016 6:07 am
@shiyuan222 no worries. UBC is definitely more known internationally and Saunders is a great program. If you do ever want any info on the Vancouver area feel free to PM me, I'm always happy to help. :)