Midwest University - Collusion

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

Midwest University - Collusion

by goelmohit2002 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:11 am
Hi All,

In the below question the OA is [spoiler]"B"[/spoiler]. I was able to narrow down to [spoiler]"B" and "E"[/spoiler]. Can somebody please help me understand why [spoiler]"B"[/spoiler] is better then [spoiler]"E"[/spoiler] ?

===========================================
At Midwest University, there is no collusion between the athletic office and the admissions office. Athletes must be accepted for admission to the university on the basis of their academic records before they can be offered financial assistance on the basis of athletic ability. The university thus hopes to avoid the kind of recruiting violations that have been a problem at other universities.

It can be inferred from the passage above that:
A) the admission policy described above is unique to Midwest university.
B) Some universities offer financial assistance to athletes who would not be admitted to the university on the basis of their academic records.
C) Most student athletes in universities are admitted solely on the basis of athletic ability.
D) admissions offices do not modify academic admission requirements for any students except student athletes.
E) In many universities, athletic offices are often at odds with admissions offices.

Thanks
Mohit

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:600

by dendude » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:10 pm
I agree with the OA.

B Clearly brings out the meaning of "recruiting violations" and is a safe inference.

E on the other hand tries to indicate that there is some other reason for this decision i.e the admission office and athletic office having a difference of opinion and no reasons are given for that. It also does not justify the "recruiting violations" with regard to the premises of the argument.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:720

by sg1928 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:25 pm
"Often" and "Many words in option "E" made me stay away from "E".

by S0laris » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:06 pm
ha-ha ) I used to hate the inference q. begining from toefl, now I see some light. B is smooth enough.
we are the champions !

MBA Student
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmat740 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:25 pm
At Midwest University, there is no collusion between the athletic office and the admissions office. Athletes must be accepted for admission to the university on the basis of their academic records before they can be offered financial assistance on the basis of athletic ability. The university thus hopes to avoid the kind of recruiting violations that have been a problem at other universities.

For me it Seems its a cause and relationship analysis.

Admission ==> Financial Assistance.

I don't understand the Option B.

Does this financial assistance a guarantee for Admission.Certainly not.

Option E.

E) In many universities, athletic offices are often at odds with admissions offices.
They must be making some provisions for the admission of athletes, like considering their athletic ability for admissions

Please correct if I am wrong.

Legendary Member

by goelmohit2002 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:10 pm
gmat740 wrote:

For me it Seems its a cause and relationship analysis.

Admission ==> Financial Assistance.

I don't understand the Option B.

Does this financial assistance a guarantee for Admission.Certainly not.

Option E.

They must be making some provisions for the admission of athletes, like considering their athletic ability for admissions

Please correct if I am wrong.
I also have the Exact same doubt....where is it mentioned in "B" that admission is happening..."B" is only talking about financial assistance....how can they provide assistance without admission ? How can we assume that admission is happening based on the info provided in "B" ?

Thanks
Mohit

MBA Student

Please name the source

by gmat740 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:23 pm
Hello Mohit,
It would be nice if you could please let us know the source of this question so that we can have further discussions.

Experts please clarify the doubts

Legendary Member

by goelmohit2002 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:30 pm
This question is there from the question bank of a very reputed coaching institute preparing for GMAT in India.

But there might be some problem in question too....

Experts please help.

Thanks
Mohit

MBA Student

Hello Mohit

by gmat740 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:57 pm
Hello again,
I should refrain away from commenting about the teaching methodologies of Indian coaching Institutes, but Since I also Belong to India(Kolkata) and to my experience the coaching institute's material were not so good with explanations.

As I don't have the luxury of time, so I would better stay away from questions of sources which don't have the experince Like those of Manhattan Kaplan,Powerscore etc etc.

Experts we are waiting for your feedback

Legendary Member

by mals24 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:32 am
Not an expert, but I just want to share my opinion.

The passage states that Midwest university accepts athletes for admission on the basis of academic records. However it gives them financial assistance on the basis of athletic ability.
The university thus hopes to avoid the kind of recruiting violations that have been a problem at other universities.
This means that some universities do not follow Midwest's strategy and recruit students on basis other than academic records.
B) Some universities offer financial assistance to athletes who would not be admitted to the university on the basis of their academic records.
Basically what this sentence is saying is that some universities accept students for admission on the basis of other criterias. Which is what we said before, that they do not follow Midwest's strategy.
No information given regarding how many times the athletic offices are at odds with admission offices. Hence this option cannot be inferred.

by S0laris » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:16 am
goelmohit2002 wrote:This question is there from the question bank of a very reputed coaching institute preparing for GMAT in India.

But there might be some problem in question too....

Experts please help.

Thanks
Mohit
Hi pal, I'm not from India, but I've heard that indian maths and logics are very strong, in addition I now some indian universities(don't remember the name) admission policy, in fact their tests can give a pepsi challenge to GMAT, Kaplan or whatsoever. Besides, content and structure of this question are very close to real gmat
IMO
we are the champions !

Legendary Member

by goelmohit2002 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:47 am
Probably I am missing something here.....but what I am getting from the above sentence is that universities offer financial assistance to athletes who would NOT be admitted on the basis of academics. It does not say that whether these athletes have got admission or are considered for admission. IMO this sentence talks about financial assistance only.

Please tell what I am missing here ?

Thanks
Mohit

Legendary Member

by mals24 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:12 am
OK your taking the wrong meaning of the sentence Mohit.
Athletes must be accepted for admission to the university on the basis of their academic records before they can be offered financial assistance on the basis of athletic ability.
Now according to the above piece of information from the passage, the student HAS to be accepted for admission before they can be offered financial assistance.

Admission is necessary for financial assistance.

Now look at option B.
Read the entire bold part of the sentence. It means, those students who are admitted NOT on the basis of academic records, BUT on some other basis. It doesn't mean that students are not admitted at all. Just that the basis for admission is not academic records.

Legendary Member

by goelmohit2002 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:47 am
Athletes must be accepted for admission to the university on the basis of their academic records before they can be offered financial assistance on the basis of athletic ability.

Now according to the above piece of information from the passage, the student HAS to be accepted for admission before they can be offered financial assistance.

Admission is necessary for financial assistance.
IMO this is the case at Midwest University and has nothing to do with other universities.
Now look at option B.
Read the entire bold part of the sentence. It means, those students who are admitted NOT on the basis of academic records, BUT on some other basis. It doesn't mean that students are not admitted at all. Just that the basis for admission is not academic records.
Here I think we are assuming that the way Midwest is admitting student athletes....other universities too are admitting student athletes. How can we assume the same ?

Please tell what am I missing here ?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

Re: Midwest University - Collusion

by Ian Stewart » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:44 am
goelmohit2002 wrote: At Midwest University, there is no collusion between the athletic office and the admissions office. Athletes must be accepted for admission to the university on the basis of their academic records before they can be offered financial assistance on the basis of athletic ability. The university thus hopes to avoid the kind of recruiting violations that have been a problem at other universities.

It can be inferred from the passage above that:
Since we're down to B and E:

There are two issues with answer choice E. First, it begins by saying 'In many universities...'. There's nothing in the stem that would let us draw any kind of inference about *many* universities. Yes, the question says that recruiting violations have been a problem 'at other universities'. That doesn't mean there have been problems at 'many universities', only that there have been problems at *some* other universities. So in this respect, E goes too far.

Further, there is no suggestion that athletic offices are ever 'at odds' with admissions offices; in fact, the stem suggests the opposite (that they are at least sometimes in 'collusion'). The question nowhere suggests that athletic offices are in conflict with admissions offices, so it's certainly not a valid inference here.

The passage suggests that Midwest University's policy is not one shared by every university. That is, while at Midwest, "Athletes must be accepted for admission to the university on the basis of their academic records before they can be offered financial assistance on the basis of athletic ability", this is not the case at some other universities. From this, we can infer B directly.
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com