Profile Evaluation + School Selection

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

Please guide me through the school selection process. I have top 20 Bschools in my mind but with current GMAT score of 680 it doesn't seems possible. My profile is given below please let me know the potential admits for my profile.

TIA

I am a chartered accountant workex 2 years with one of Big4 in their assurance division

GMAT 680

Running a book donating NGO website for underprivileged children

CFA Level 1 candidate

Academic : Average

Please let me know the schools where I can apply.

Thank you so much
Last edited by Vipin.kr.chaurasia@gmail. on Sun May 01, 2016 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Edison@VeritasPrep » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:28 pm
Thanks for sharing.

Scoring 660 (or 680?) on the GMAT does not eliminate your chances of admissions for top 20 programs, although it does make it more challenging. Articulate your personal story, including your motivations, experiences, and post-MBA goals clearly and research on the specific programs you are considering.

Doing so should inform your decision-making better, while also allowing you to demonstrate fit and helping you increase your chances.In addition, you may also consider using test prep services to help you prepare for a GMAT retake.

Wish you all the best!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Vipin.kr.chaurasia@gmail. » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:58 pm
Thank you for the reply, It would be more helpful if you could state some of the universities where I can get in with this profile. Ill surely be retaking GMAT for 720+. Still I wish to know where do I stand in terms of profile.

Thank you

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Sun May 01, 2016 2:59 am
A few thoughts for you to ponder on Vipin:
  1. At the cost of sounding negative, apart from the GMAT, the other potential handicap you have to be aware of is the relatively lesser years of experience. Big4 is great, but it is usually tough to differentiate in 2 years. Top 20 will be looking for just that - are you differentiated enough. If you can convince them on that, sure, you may have a shot.
  2. The CFA thing is good; what would be great is if you can get to the next level by the time you submit you apps (not sure of the time table on that one though)
  3. There is still a lot of time. Why not give the GMAT another shot? Given the fact that your undergrad isn't stellar, this is all the more imperative. The other thing, if you have a 3 year undergrad, to check will be the schools accepting it. Read here.
Hope this helps some.

Cheers,
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:10 members

by apphelp » Sun May 01, 2016 4:19 am
Vipin.kr.chaurasia@gmail. wrote:Hi,

Please guide me through the school selection process. I have top 20 Bschools in my mind but with current GMAT score of 680 it doesn't seems possible. My profile is given below please let me know the potential admits for my profile.

TIA

I am a chartered accountant workex 2 years with one of Big4 in their assurance division

GMAT 660

Running a book donating NGO website for underprivileged children

CFA Level 1 candidate

Academic : Average

Please let me know the schools where I can apply.

Thank you so much
Hi Vipin,

You have mentioned 660 as well as 680 on GMAT as your scores. Which one is correct or have you taken GMAT twice. While Big 4 experience is good, we would recommend you to add atleast one more year of experience. Also, retake GMAT to push the score to 720+ to target top 20 schools.

Feel free to contact us for any queries.

Apphelp Team
Apphelp : India's # 1 MBA admissions consultancy

Confused about schools? Need help with Essay Review? Need mock interviews?
All these questions have a single answer : APPHELP (apphelp.co.in)
Phone: +91 9871354580
Blog: https://www.blog.apphelp.co.in

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Edison@VeritasPrep » Sat May 14, 2016 4:15 am
Hi Vipin,

As an additional guide, you may target schools where you are 30-40 points above the GMAT average. Being a younger candidate, you would help your chances by showing high academic potential. Also, coming from a very competitive applicant pool, you would need to differentiate yourself. Carefully researching target schools, and demonstrating fit would be very important.

Wish you all the best!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!