How important are rankings?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

How important are rankings?

by nlouder » Wed May 11, 2016 2:28 pm
I've been admitted to University of Texas at Dallas (37 on US news) and BYU (33). I'm trying to decide which school would be help me achieve my post-MBA goal of working on tech sector in corporate finance. I live in Dallas, and it's ranking is very similar to BYU, but I don't feel that it carries the same name recognition. Am I wrong? UTD program is 3 semesters, and I would still do an internship. I don't have a specific city I want to end up in after my MBA. What are your thoughts?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Wed May 11, 2016 8:04 pm
At this stage, rankings don't mean much. Brand will carry weight depending on what industry you're in. However, the biggest criteria for you now should be on the network, recruiting opportunities, and your fit within the school's culture. From a network perspective, do alumni at either program seem to be prevalent in your industry? Do firms that have your dream job recruit at one school and not the other? How do you get along with both fellow students, alumni, and professors? Hope this helps! Best of luck, and congrats on your acceptances!
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Edison@VeritasPrep » Thu May 26, 2016 4:21 pm
Congratulations!

Agree with the above advice, the fit with your career goals, in terms of the career placements of the graduates, companies recruiting, networking opportunities, and reputation within your target industry would be more critical than the minimal difference in rankings. Fit with your life situation is also an important consideration, taking into account how the location will allow you to address other priorities, such as responsibilities and opportunity for personal growth.

Wish you all the best!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:760

by Indradeep1click » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:11 pm
Hi,
Congrats on your admit - albeit a little late!
To add bit more perspective on the ranking issue - I am aware of at least 2 top (read top 50) Asian schools where career placement (arguably one of the most sought after elements) leave a lot to be desired of. The schools have an excellent network of alumni and students get employment through rigorous networking and something that is drilled in the students from day one. Ranking means little except for clusters i.e. top 3, top 10, top 20, top 50 and so on. Within each category, the schools are fairly inter-changeable.
Another excellent place to look for, would be go to LinkedIn and search for where the alums of each school is working at now, particularly in Finance. Again, please bear in mind that working in Finance is a very broad area - is it investment banking, corporate banking, as analyst, PMO or more strategic aspects of Finance. Each of these have a different career path and definitely a different approach to selecting schools, courses and how you position yourself.
Hope this helps
Indradeep
Director, OneClickPrep
https://www.oneclickprep.com
+61424853384 (WhatsApp or call)
Study in Australia - https://www.oneclickprep.com/study-and-w ... australia/
Watch our videos and blogs in https://www.oneclickprep.com/admissions-prep/
Using post MBA corporate and consulting experience to bring real world value to MBA Admissions

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:53 am
First Congrats also on having choices and being admitted to 2 top 50 Programs. The prestige value between 33 and 37 is not the most important factor. Try making a list of everything you value from the MBA experience- Experiential learning/access to faculty/Corporate finance/tech recruiting/ etc and then don't over think but rate each school on these topics as you learned about them from applying. Rate each school on a scale of 1-10 for the things you value. If you really want to be fancy- you can assign an importance of 5 to top values and 1 to lesser values like maybe having a good workout center for students- etc. Then without overthinking it- rate and add up the scores and perhaps that will illuminate for you which program is best for you! Good luck!
nlouder wrote:I've been admitted to University of Texas at Dallas (37 on US news) and BYU (33). I'm trying to decide which school would be help me achieve my post-MBA goal of working on tech sector in corporate finance. I live in Dallas, and it's ranking is very similar to BYU, but I don't feel that it carries the same name recognition. Am I wrong? UTD program is 3 semesters, and I would still do an internship. I don't have a specific city I want to end up in after my MBA. What are your thoughts?