Gmat Prep Diag - #13

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Gmat Prep Diag - #13

by jayneeniskeen » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:17 pm
According to a review of 61 studies of patients suffering from severly debilitating depression, a large majority of the patients reported that missing a night's sleep immediately lifted their depression. Yet sleep deprivation is not used to treat depression even though the conventional treatments, which use drugs and electric shocks, often have serious side effects.

Which of the following, if true, best explains the fact that sleep-deprivation is not used as a treatment for depression?

The answer is: E) Depression returns in full force as soon as the patient sleeps for even a few minutes.

However, I chose: C) "Prolonged loss of sleep can lead to temporary impairment of judgment comparable to that induced by consuming several ounces of alcohol."

The question appears to ask why sleep deprivation is not used in comparison to drugs and electric shocks that have side effects. thus, I chose the answer that had a side effect along with it. Why is the answer choice E??

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by kajcha » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:13 am
Between E and C, I will choose E...

E says depression comes back as soon as one sleeps even for minutes. So the treatment fails.... Bottomline there is no use of using this method.

Since question does not talk about the side effects of other methods it is difficult to choose "sleep deprivation" as treatment over others.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Auzbee » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:06 pm
C could be eliminated just because it uses alcohol and there is no comparitive information given about alcohol.
For CR questions it is always a good idea to restrict answers to the information provided as much as possible.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by micheal_kr » Tue May 03, 2016 4:35 am
In my opinion E is the most suitable one.