Need help in Sentence Correction

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Need help in Sentence Correction

by quantumliner » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:35 pm
I have started with the Sentence correction lessons, but it seems I am really bad at it. I get only 50-60% of questions right. Need help to improve my accuracy to 90%.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:770

by OptimusPrep » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:28 pm
quantumliner wrote:I have started with the Sentence correction lessons, but it seems I am really bad at it. I get only 50-60% of questions right. Need help to improve my accuracy to 90%.
Hi quantumliner,

As a general guide line, you can start solving a question by taking the following things in consideration:

1. Find out the subject and the verb
2. See that the S&V agree in number
3. Look out for the modifiers
4. Look out for parallelism
5. Look out for usage of certain words - such as vs like, few vs less etc.

As an addition, start preparing an error log and keep a note of all the mistakes you made and the lessons you learnt from the problems. This will ensure you do not make the same mistake again.

1. Are you following any preparatory course/book?
2. Have you solved the questions from OG and Verbal Review?
3. How long have you been studying?
4. Have you given any full length mock CAT?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by quantumliner » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:14 pm
I am referring to MGMAT SC guide and E-GMAT. I attempted sentence correction questions from OG, but end up getting them wrong.

When I do try to solve questions pertaining to any particular topic such as Subject & Verb or parallelism , I do get them right. These are questions which are usually at the end of a chapter. But when I try to attempt complicated questions, that have more than one type of error, thats when I get this brain freeze and end up selecting the wrong answer.

I have not attempted a full mock CAT. Reason is since I am getting these questions wrong, there is not point attempting them now. Once I start getting an accuracy of 80-90%, I would start with the mocks.