Profile Evaluation for London Business School MiM

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi there. I'm looking for some feedback regarding the competitiveness of my profile for admission into the MiM at LBS.

- Male, 22 years old, American
- GMAT: 670 (IR8, Q43, V39)
- Education: Bachelor of Arts in Sociology from UC Berkeley (3.729 GPA)
- Extracurriculars: Planning and promoting 5 to 6 concerts per semester at Cal while managing $50k yearly budget. For the last two years, I was the main talent buyer for this group . Head chef at an LGBTQ themed co-op, cooking meals for up to 50 people on a weekly basis. Editor of a Berlin-based architecture blog.
- Work Experience: Interned for two consecutive summers at a major film and television production company (Imagine Entertainment). The first summer I was a general intern, helping out production assistants with their various tasks. The second summer I interned directly under the company's President of Feature Film Production, during which I was involved with all projects that passed through her desk (she is writing one of my letters of recommendation). Intern at Liaison Artists, an agency that represents an array of prolific international musicians.
- Languages: Fluent in English, proficient in German (2+ years of study), proficient in Dutch (1 year of study)
- International Experience: Studied abroad in Berlin for 7 months (winter 2015 - summer 2015)
- Misc: Currently on track to graduate with distinction (equivalent to 'cum laude'), have been on the Dean's Honors List for 6 out of my 7 semesters at UC Berkeley (soon to be 7 out of 8)

In a perfect world, I would like to take the GMAT once more before applying. My quant score isn't anything to write home about, and I worry the fact that I'm coming from the social sciences will accentuate that not so impressive score. I also took the test on approx. 5 hours of sleep (by no fault of my own :/ ), so I really think I could do better under more ideal circumstances. But unfortunately, the LBS MiM site says that they highly recommend any students in need of a visa to apply before May, so it seems like my best bet is to apply before the May 3rd deadline of this most recent round of applications. And, for what it's worth, I've already been accepted to RSM's MiM.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my profile and for any advice you might have!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Edison@VeritasPrep » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:55 pm
Thanks for sharing your profile.

You have a well-rounded profile, with active involvement across extracurricular activities to go with your international exposure, and strong academics.

I agree that it would be best if you can retake the GMAT, especially since your first take was under not so ideal circumstances. Thus, there is a very good chance that you can do better.

If retaking is not an option, you may highlight quant-related experiences, including doing feasibility studies, profit/loss evaluation of planning and promoting concerts. This could help show your proficiency and exposure to business concepts. It could help address potential concerns of your readiness to keep up or excel academically.

Wish you all the best!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members
Here is some Expert Application advice for LBS MiM Applicants.

LBS MiM applications can be challenging! That, at least, is no secret. Every year, London Business School chooses a very selective cohort of achievers to be part of its Master in Management (MiM) program. While most applicants are aware that strong GMAT scores (the LBS MiM currently has an average of 683), excellent essays, and noteworthy academics are important to be able to get admission to LBS, what many applicants do not understand is how to use their own strengths and skills in the application.

One of the critical mistakes that many applicants make is that of not understanding the essay questions and what the school is looking for before attempting to answer them. The LBS MiM essay questions focus on the applicant's career goals, and how he or she brings in relevant skills in order to achieve those goals. Similarly, LBS looks for evidence that the candidate can excel in a team environment. The LBS Master in Management class is made up of students from more than 50 countries, so this ability is critical to succeed in the program. Finally, LBS looks for evidence that the applicant will be able to contribute meaningfully on campus.

LBS MiM Applications : Not Just About the Essays
While LBS MiM applications do have the essays as a core component, there are other elements beyond this that are critical too. The resume is an excellent example. It is not meant to be simply another restatement of your career progress so far, but a unique opportunity to summarize your skills, experiences, and achievements. Many a time, the admissions committee reviewer (or your interviewer at the later interview stage) will look at your resume first in order to understand your profile better. For this reason, the resume needs to be brief (the LBS resume format is pretty specific), yet impactful and complete. It can also include details that could not be covered in your essays, but are important to your profile (example: certifications completed or awards won). LBS MiM Applications