Is tutoring the way to go?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Is tutoring the way to go?

by Zain » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:43 am
Hello,

A little background on me:
I have been studying for the GMAT for 2 months now using Manhattan Prep's online course and Strategy/Foundation books. I have the OG Review and Princeton Review's Crack the GMAT book as well. I just finished the Manhattan Prep syllabus last week. I have taken 3 CATs and I have moved my score 20 points. My test is scheduled for a month from now but I know I'm not close to being ready to take on the GMAT. I plan on applying round 1 this year to begin Fall 2017.

CAT 1 Manhattan Prep (2/14/2016): Score 510 Q29/V31
CAT 2 Manhattan Prep (3/27/2016): Score 530 Q38/V26
CAT 3 Princeton Review (4/18/2016): Score 530 Q34/V29

My target is to score 650+ because without it I don't believe I can get into the schools I'm planning on applying to. Is tutoring the right approach? I have found a tutor who seems to have a personalized approach and will be able to provide a plan catered to improve my weaknesses. Or should I keep going down this path and take the test once next month and then plan on retaking it later in the summer? I have already spent $1100 on the Manhattan Prep and tutoring is pricey but if it can help me attain a higher score I will spend more to achieve the score I need.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Zain

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:19 pm
Tutoring can certainly be pricy, but having an expert work with you is often the best way to identify and fix weaknesses.

Here's what you can do first, though:

- run an Assessment Report on the Mprep tests you've done. Comb through to identify weak spots: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/onli ... eports.cfm

- deeply analyze the questions you've gotten wrong, and create an Error Log to track your mistakes: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... -studying/

- make sure you're studying verbal as well as quant! Your quant shot up, but your verbal dropped. Were you focusing all of your time on quant?

- track all of the OG problems you've done using Navigator (you should have access if you've done our online course): https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/stor ... navigator/

- use the Navigator stats in conjunction w/ your Assessment Report to see areas of strength and weakness:

Spend time working on any topics that need work, then take another CAT. If you're still hitting a plateau, then hire a tutor.

Good luck!
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

by Zain » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:02 pm
Ceilidh,

Thanks for the quick response. I will definitely try to do the things you mentioned. How quickly should one take another CAT after analyzing and reviewing the mistakes? And no I didn't spend all my time on Quant after the first test. For some reason, using the techniques provided by the tutors have slowed me down from when I first attempted the Verbal Section to this last one.

Thanks in advance,
Zain

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:41 pm
Hi Zain,

Considering the fluctuations in your Scaled Scores, it looks like you don't have a consistent way of dealing with the Quant and Verbal sections and you're just 'winging it' when you take your CATs. It's also likely that you've developed some 'bad habits' during the course of your studies that will take some time to 'fix' (and replace with new 'good habits'), so taking the GMAT in a month likely won't give you enough time to improve and hit your score goal. If you don't mind spending another $250 to retake the GMAT, then that's up to you. However, by paying the $50 rescheduling fee, you can save some money and push back that first attempt.

Since it appears that you have not taken any of the GMAC CATs yet, I suggest that you plan to take one soon (perhaps this coming weekend). You should take the FULL CAT (including the Essay and IR sections) and make everything as realistic as possible (take it away from your home, at the same time of day as your current GMAT appointment, etc.) and let's see how you do. Right now, it's not clear whether you actually need a tutor or not - what you probably need is consistent guidance (and that can come from other sources besides a high-priced tutor).

You still have plenty of time to study before the Round 1 application deadlines and the GMAT is still the same consistent, predictable Exam that it's always been, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

1) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by Zain » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:38 am
Rich,

Appreciate the insight. As to your point regarding 'bad habits, I would agree with you, I probably have developed these habits. But if I continue using the same methods I have been, wouldn't the bad habits continue to persist or get worse? As for the schools, I live in Michigan, so top choice is Michigan Full-time or Part time. Looking at Georgetown for Full-Time, and potentially out West for Part-time or Full-time (Top 25). If part-time out West, I'd just search for a job in the area. I haven't full given a lot of thought to the list of schools because the GMAT has kept me occupied for the last few months but I wouldn't spend the money on anything but a top 25 program.

Thanks,
Zain

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:48 am
Zain wrote:Ceilidh,

Thanks for the quick response. I will definitely try to do the things you mentioned. How quickly should one take another CAT after analyzing and reviewing the mistakes? And no I didn't spend all my time on Quant after the first test. For some reason, using the techniques provided by the tutors have slowed me down from when I first attempted the Verbal Section to this last one.

Thanks in advance,
Zain
For students balancing studies with a full work schedule (i.e. studying 10-15 hrs per week), I recommend taking a CAT every 2 weeks, then ramping up to once a week for the 2 weeks before the test. You don't want to take more than 1 CAT per week, because that won't give you time to work on any of the weaknesses that you identify.

So for you, that might look like:
CAT 4: May 1
CAT 5: May 15
CAT 6: June 1
CAT 7: June 15
CAT 8: June 21
Real test: June 30

As a very broad rule of thumb, (for students studying 10-15 hrs per week), I recommend giving yourself a week for every 10-20 points you want to gain. So to gain 120 points, you'd need between 6-12 weeks. The schedule above would be roughly 10 weeks.

It seems to me that TIMING might be a major issue for you on the verbal section. If employing strategies slowed you down so much that you couldn't finish the section, that would have an adverse affect on your score.

Practice using those techniques in your study sessions, but on practice exams, make sure that you're staying within the timing guidelines. Guess and move on if you're getting too far behind. Here's my preferred strategy: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... tch-paper/
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:51 am
Hi Zain,

The bad habits that I alluded to may be based on the methods you're using, but they also might be based on other things (the physical ways you go about answering the questions, the notes you take - or don't take, etc.). One of the reasons why I suggested taking a FULL GMAC CAT is because I want to see how you score under the most realistic conditions possible. That score result can help to more clearly define what you're currently doing wrong.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by Zain » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:38 am
Rich,

I will take another test as soon as I'm done analyzing my last CAT. I will report back with results.

Zain