00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

107. Although the discount stores in Goreville's central shopping district are expected to close within five years as a result of competition from a SpendLess discount department store that just opened, those locations will not stay vacant for long. In the five years since the opening of Colson's, a nondiscount department store, a new store has opened at the location of every store in the shopping district that closed because it could not compete with Colson's.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?
(A) Many customers of Colson's are expected to do less shopping there than they did before the SpendLess
store opened.
(B) Increasingly, the stores that have opened in the central shopping district since Colson's opened have been
discount stores.
(C) At present, the central shopping district has as many stores operating in it as it ever had.
(D) Over the course of the next five years, it is expected that Goreville's population will grow at a faster rate
than it has for the past several decades.
(E) Many stores in the central shopping district sell types of merchandise that are not available at either
SpendLess or Colson's.

My answer is A .I believe that less spending will be a bane in the opening of the new stores.

What is ur answer.Please explain the technique.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by talaangoshtari » Wed May 13, 2015 1:09 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

src_saurav wrote:107. Although the discount stores in Goreville's central shopping district are expected to close within five years as a result of competition from a SpendLess discount department store that just opened, those locations will not stay vacant for long. In the five years since the opening of Colson's, a nondiscount department store, a new store has opened at the location of every store in the shopping district that closed because it could not compete with Colson's.

(A) Many customers of Colson's are expected to do less shopping there than they did before the SpendLess
store opened.
(B) Increasingly, the stores that have opened in the central shopping district since Colson's opened have been
discount stores.
(C) At present, the central shopping district has as many stores operating in it as it ever had.
(D) Over the course of the next five years, it is expected that Goreville's population will grow at a faster rate
than it has for the past several decades.
(E) Many stores in the central shopping district sell types of merchandise that are not available at either
SpendLess or Colson's.

My answer is A .I believe that less spending will be a bane in the opening of the new stores.

What is ur answer.Please explain the technique.
I think the correct answer is E, because it mentions the reason of opening new stores other than the reason stated in the question.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed May 13, 2015 3:04 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Although the discount stores in Goreville's central shopping district are
expected to close within five years as a result of competition from a SpendLess
discount department store that just opened, those locations will not stay vacant
for long. In the five years since the opening of Colson's, a nondiscount
department store, a new store has opened at the location of every store in the
shopping district that closed because it could not compete with Colson's.

A. Many customer's of Colson's are expected to do less shopping there than they
did before the SPendless store opened.

B. Increasingly, the stores that have opened in the central shopping district
since Colson's opened have been discount stores.

C. At present, the central shopping district has as many stores operating in it
as it ever had.

D. Over the course of the next five years, it is expected that Goreville's
opulation will grow at a faster rate than it has for the past several decades.

E. Many stores in the central shopping district sell types of merchandise that
are not available at either Spendless or Colson's.
This CR makes an ANALOGY.
The premise is about X: Colson's NONDISCOUNT department store.
The conclusion is about Y: the SpendLess DISCOUNT department store.

The argument assumes that X is linked to Y: that what was true for Colson's (a NONDISCOUNT store) will be true for Spendless (a DISCOUNT store).
To break the link, the correct answer must show how Colson's and Spendless are DIFFERENT.

Answer choice B: Increasingly, the stores that have opened in the central shopping district since Colson's opened have been DISCOUNT stores.
This answer choice highlights a key DIFFERENCE between Colson's and Spendless. Colson's is a NONDISCOUNT store. Thus, the recently opened DISCOUNT stores have been able to compete with it. But Spendless is itself a DISCOUNT store. Its arrival likely will DISCOURAGE other discount stores from opening, invalidating the conclusion that the central shopping district will be able to fill its vacancies.

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by andymal » Wed May 13, 2015 7:26 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Hi Mitch,

The notion of sample relevance (x is relevant to y) seems to come up a lot on the GMAT, and I know that presumed causation does too. Are there any other things that you think are smart to look out for?

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by RBBmba@2014 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:59 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Hi Verbal Experts(Mitch/Dave/others) -- a quick clarification required on this CR.

The pattern observed here is Colson's NONDISCOUNT department store opens -- existing [NONDISCOUNT] stores that couldn't compete with Colson close down -- new (DISCOUNT) stores open in place of the closed [NONDISCOUNT] stores.

On the basis of this above PATTERN, the ARGUMENT tries to find a resemblance in the following case: SpendLess DISCOUNT department store opens -- existing DISCOUNT stores failing to compete with SpendLess will be closed down -- new stores will be opened in place of these closed DISCOUNT stores.

Now,as the SpendLess is ITSELF a DISCOUNT department store and as the stores that will be closed because of competition from SpendLess,are ALSO DISCOUNT stores, hence it's UNLIKELY that the new DISCOUNT stores will be opened in place of closed DISCOUNT stores,following the above PATTERN in RED.

Did I get this right ?
Last edited by RBBmba@2014 on Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:16 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Yes, that's right (although I'll be a stickler and say that we don't know that it will be "very unlikely," we're just given reason to doubt the pattern given by the author).

The flaw in the argument is that the author assumes that the pattern will repeat, regardless of store type: big store moves in -> some stores close as a result -> other stores move in to take their place

However, Colson's was a nondiscount store, and Spendless is a discount store. We would have to know what types of stores are closing and opening. If, when Colson's moved in, nondiscount stores closed, but discount stores opened in their place, then when Spendless moves in, the discount stores will close, but there may not be any other type of store that's able to replace them. Basically, we need to know whether stores are being replaced by the same type of stores, or by cheaper ones.

B answers that question - if the stores that came in were discount stores, there might not be anything else that could move in to replace those.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:58 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

ceilidh.erickson wrote:Yes, that's right (although I'll be a stickler and say that we don't know that it will be "very unlikely," we're just given reason to doubt the pattern given by the author).
@ceilidh - I've removed the word VERY from my above post. I think, we can AT LEAST call it just "UNLIKELY". Isn't it ?

And a quick question:
Here in the STIMULUS, given that "stores are closed because they could not compete with Colson's". However, it's NOT EXPLICITLY mentioned that EXACTLY what type of stores are closed because of COLSON'S.

Still we're considering that NONDISCOUNT stores are closed failing to compete with COLSON'S. Is this because by common sense, it can be said that realistically ONLY SAME type of stores are capable of competing with each other in GENERAL -- i.e. DISCOUNT store competing with another DISCOUNT store or NONDISCOUNT store competing with another NONDISCOUNT store. Am I correct ?

P.S: For different types of stores i.e. DISCOUNT store competing with NONDISCOUNT store is NOT the way BUSINESS is done in GENERAL because approach to serving customers will be different in different TYPES (re DISCOUNT/NONDISCOUNT) of stores. Right ?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by ceilidh.erickson » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:20 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

RBBmba@2014 wrote:
ceilidh.erickson wrote:Yes, that's right (although I'll be a stickler and say that we don't know that it will be "very unlikely," we're just given reason to doubt the pattern given by the author).
@ceilidh - I've removed the word VERY from my above post. I think, we can AT LEAST call it just "UNLIKELY". Isn't it ?

And a quick question:
Here in the STIMULUS, given that "stores are closed because they could not compete with Colson's". However, it's NOT EXPLICITLY mentioned that EXACTLY what type of stores are closed because of COLSON'S.

Still we're considering that NONDISCOUNT stores are closed failing to compete with COLSON'S. Is this because by common sense, it can be said that realistically ONLY SAME type of stores are capable of competing with each other in GENERAL -- i.e. DISCOUNT store competing with another DISCOUNT store or NONDISCOUNT store competing with another NONDISCOUNT store. Am I correct ?

P.S: For different types of stores i.e. DISCOUNT store competing with NONDISCOUNT store is NOT the way BUSINESS is done in GENERAL because approach to serving customers will be different in different TYPES (re DISCOUNT/NONDISCOUNT) of stores. Right ?
Yes, if you remove the word "very," it's reasonable to infer "unlikely." A lot of weaken/strengthen questions will rely on real-world common sense, rather than strict formal logic. (This is one major difference between the GMAT and the LSAT, presumably because business schools want students who understand the real world, but law schools want students who can argue the fine points of logic).
Ceilidh Erickson

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:04 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

RBBmba@2014 wrote:Here in the STIMULUS, given that "stores are closed because they could not compete with Colson's". However, it's NOT EXPLICITLY mentioned that EXACTLY what type of stores are closed because of COLSON'S.

@ceilidh - could you please share your feedback on the above TWO questions - whether I'm correct or not ?

Curious to hear from you...Much thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Tue May 03, 2016 6:29 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

@ceilidh - any thoughts on my immediate above post ?

Look forward to hear from you. Much thanks in advance!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by ceilidh.erickson » Mon May 09, 2016 10:42 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

RBBmba@2014 wrote:Here in the STIMULUS, given that "stores are closed because they could not compete with Colson's". However, it's NOT EXPLICITLY mentioned that EXACTLY what type of stores are closed because of COLSON'S.

Yes, that's the general understanding. This is typical of the kind of real-life common sense that you'll be asked to apply on CR, especially on weaken & strengthen questions.
Yes, that's how I understand it, too. Because we don't know whether the stores that opened after Colson's were discount or non-discount, we don't know whether smaller stores of a similar type are able to compete with a larger store (though, based on real world knowledge, we might suspect not).

While you're right (in real life, in general), there's a danger in bringing too much real world knowledge to the GMAT, even though you're asked to bring a little bit. The more important question to ask yourself here, rather than "how would this situation play out in real life" is "what did the author neglect to mention that might affect the logic of the argument?"

The author assumes that the situation now will be directly comparable to the situation 5 years ago, but we haven't been given all of the relevant details to compare.
Ceilidh Erickson

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Re: Discount stores

by iammohakjain » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:15 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

In order to weaken the conclusion, one must attack the analogy in the question. The analogy is that even though colson's opened and caused a lot of nearby stores to close, those vacant spots got filled by new stores.. and the same will happen when SpendLess discount department store will open.
Key here is to lay stress that colson was a non discount store and hence some discount stores opened in the nearby areas to compete! but SpendLess is already a discount department store and the same analogy cant be true here! We have to find a statement that weakens the analogy and B fits the best .