Profile Evaluation for PT Programs

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation for PT Programs

by fenaroli42 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:03 am
Hoping to get some candid feedback on my profile as I apply to part-time MBA programs.

Target programs: Booth, Kellogg, Haas, Anderson

GMAT: 620
My score is quite strange - 94% on verbal, 67% on IR, 91% on AW, and <50% on quant. Quant is not representative of my abilities - simply a bad day.

GPA: 3.9 overall from a top liberal arts college.
Strong quant background in econometrics, applied stats, calculus, etc.
Senior thesis was published in an economics journal.

Work experience: 5 years in management consulting, promoted 3 times.
2 years in the US, 3 years of international experience in London. I've managed project teams of 2-7 consultants.

Company sponsorship: I have a full expenses sponsorship from my company for a part-time program.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Tue May 17, 2016 6:52 am
Quick response here: most part-time MBA programs post their GMAT range, and you're at the tail-end of that range. However, the imbalance, that low quant, could disproportionately hurt your chances. Everyone SAYS their low quant score is not representative of their abilities, but how can you prove it?

My recommendation (you're going to hate this): take the GMAT again, try to get a better quant score. Even if you fail, at least you aren't coming off as complacent or hoping to be "an exception."

In parallel with retaking the GMAT, there are other things you can do to strengthen your case: take one or two calc or stats courses now, even if you don't finish them before the submission deadline, just to show that you're taking the GMAT's message seriously. You'll also want to write an optional essay showing all the quant coursework you did well in, in university or in AP courses if you tested-out, and show your skills in action in the workplace.

The message you want the adcom to get is not that "the GMAT isn't accurate," but rather "I take full responsibility for this score, and I will do everything I can to be as competitive as possible".

Good luck!

Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me