Scoring 420 now. should increase to 710. only 10 days left

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
HI,

I have never been through this site. I have prepared for every topic in Quant and verbal too. But im unable to get the score. Im left with 10 days hardly. Please suggest me the ways i can go through and improve the score. im a science student, and lacking the confidence after taking every exam. Please help me out in improving the score.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:28 am
Hi sGani,

If your score goal is 710, and you're currently scoring in the low-400s, then you should push back your Test Date and continue studying (the current fee to reschedule is $50 and you have to do so at least 7 full days in advance of your Test - so you have to do it soon). I'd like to know a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) How long have you studied?
2) What materials have you used?
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) Do you know which Schools you want to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by sGani » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:45 am
Hey, Thanks for immediate reply. I have gone for classes(only helped me in getting basics). But i have gained knowledge only through online sites and online prep videos.

1st test - Q25/V05 - 420
2nd test - Q24/V07 - 380
3rd test - Q17/V13 - 380

Have gone through OG and other material given by the institute. started going to classes in Jan.

Have work experience for 3.5YEARS in Financial services company. I already did my MBA.

I will reschedule my exam as per your suggestion. will take the exam after 40days. Please suggest me the ways. I will work on it.
Last edited by sGani on Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

by sGani » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:47 am
Sorry for not including the below info in the above Reply.

Im looking forward to study in ISB, India.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:55 am
Hi sGani,

Rescheduling your GMAT is a good idea, but you will probably need more than 40 days of extra study time. Based on what you have described, I think that you will need at least 3 months (or more) of additional study time and some new practice resources to hit your score goal.

1) You say that you started going to classes in January. Are you still attending classes?
2) How many hours do you study during a typical week?

Rich

by sGani » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:01 am
At any cost, i should take my exam in the month of may. No, Im not attending now, course was completed. I stopped attending classes, as i didnt feel worth going to those classes. I can spare 3hrs a day in weekdays and I can utilise my week ends to fullest for preparation. Anyway, Im planning to take leave for 20days before the exam. I can work on, if i have study plan.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:17 am
Hi sGani,

If you push your Exam to the very end of May, then you will have about 7 weeks of study time. Unfortunately, that is not likely to be enough time for you to raise your score 290+ points. Thus, you have to decide what is more important: taking the GMAT in May (regardless of the score that you earn) or raising your score to a 710+. Either way, there are Study Plans and materials that you can use.

Rich

by sGani » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:22 am
Thanks for the reply and the suggestion. I have 20 days in april and im going to take take leave for complete may month. I will schedule my exam in June 3rd. I can work for 3hrs a day in april month(weekdays) and 8hrs per day in the weekends. For the May month i can work for 8-9hrs a day for the complete month. Please suggest me a study plan basing on the above hours.

by sGani » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:36 am
Hi Rich,
Im waiting for your Reply. Please suggest me a study plan.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:45 am
Hi sGani,

Before I suggest a study plan, I have one more detail to ask about:

1) If you take the GMAT on June 3rd and don't score 710, what will you do then? If, for example, you scored 550, how would your overall plans change?

Rich

by sGani » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:21 am
No other option, I should retake the exam again or should give up. As I will get more time in the may month, hopefully I can get it. Even taking the exam in July is also fine for me now. I enquired about the deadlines for ISB and it is around September and the application pool will be opened by august it seems.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:44 am
Hi sGani,

The extra research that you have done provides some important information - you have LOTS of time before the application deadline. Thus, you should take advantage of that time and NOT try to 'cram' in your studies into such a relatively short period of time. You'll have a much better chance of hitting your score goal if you consistently study for 3+ months than if you study for just 7 weeks.

When it comes to studying for the GMAT, there are a variety of different options. Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at out website (www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget. I think that you would find the EMPOWERgmat 3-month Study Plan to be quite beneficial.

Rich