In the 1930s, why did author Zora Neale Hurston choose

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
In the 1930s, why did author Zora Neale Hurston choose Eatonville, Florida, to be the first source for her collection of folklore?

I was glad when somebody told me, "You may go and collect Negro folklore." In a way, it would not be a new experience for me. When I pitched headforemost into the world I landed in the crib of Negroism. It was fitting me like a tight chemise. I couldn't see it for wearing it. It was only when I was off in college, away from my native surroundings, that I could stand off and look at my garment. Then I had to have the spy-glass of anthropology to look through.

I was asked where I wanted to work and I said, "Florida. It's a place that draws people -- Negroes from every Southern state and some from the North and West." So I knew that it was possible for me to get a cross section of the Negro South in one state. And then I realized that I felt new myself, so it looked sensible for me to choose familiar ground. I started in Eatonville, Florida, because I knew that the town was full of material and that I could get it without causing any hurt or harm. As early as I could remember, it was the habit of the men particularly to gather on the store porch in the evenings and swap stories. Even the women would stop and break a breath with them at times. As a child when I was sent down to the store, I'd drag out my leaving to hear more.

Folklore is not as easy to collect as it sounds. The ideal source is where there are the fewest outside influences, but these people are reluctant at times to reveal that which the soul lives by. I knew that even I would have some hindrance among strangers. But here in Eatonville I knew everybody was going to help me.

Q1. In the first paragraph, the author's claim, "In a way, it would not be a new experience for me," refers to the fact that:

(A)she had already attended college in Florida.

(B)she had already collected folklore in Florida for a college course.

(C)she had already experienced new cultures by leaving home.

(D)she was already familiar with the folklore she was to collect.

(E)she had already received permission to conduct the study.

Q2. As it is used in the passage, the highlighted word material most nearly means:

(A)diversity.

(B)fabric.

(C)information.

(D)money.

(E)energy.

IMO 1. C 2. A

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:49 pm
Question 1:

In the first paragraph, Zora Neale Hurston did say that she learned by leaving her native surroundings, but what she learned by leaving was to see what her native surroundings were like.

"When I pitched headforemost into the world I landed in the crib of Negroism." is a way of saying, "I was born in a place full of Negroism." So, when she said, "it would not be a new experience for me", what she was referring to was that she had grown up surrounded by negro folklore.

The correct answer is C.

Question 2:

Zora Neale Hurston went to Eatonville, Florida to collect folklore. Folklore is made up of stories, history and other forms of information. So if she was confident that she could get "material" in Eatonville, it makes sense that the material that she was excited to get was folklore, which is, basically, a form of information.

The correct answer is C.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.