Study plan to improve on 680?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Study plan to improve on 680?

by stillgwan2188 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:07 am
Hi all,

I was looking for any guidance on formulating a study plan for a taker trying to improve on a 680 [Q49 V36]. 01/2016 was my most recent exam. I am waitlisted at my dream school and I believe the weakest part of my profile was my GMAT score and thus want to retake and raise it to provide the adcom with a new update of my progress. However, I am finding it difficult to make a ~1 month study plan because it seems a lot of the ones I see are geared towards people just starting out with the GMAT. I understand the need to rebuild my foundations to improve but it almost seems counter intuitive to be working through "easy" material at this stage. I am also in a dilemma because I feel like I already have a lot of great study content to use but I have burned through all of them and sometimes find myself remembering problems. Ideally, I would like to not have to go and spend another great deal on new materials unless its necessary.

Here are what I have used:
MGMAT In-Person Course + Full Study Kit [strategy guides, OG, online CATs...etc.]
GMATPrep Software [Practice Exams]
Magoosh Premium subscription
GMATFix application subscription

I have ID'ed the Verbal section [particularly RC, but all of them if I'm being honest] as my problem area. It's frustrating because I have followed strategies on best ways to answer these questions and feel I'm doing them the right way and have full confidence in my answers and then at the end of the exam, the screen shows that I am in the V35-37 range.

For full context, (actually more for reassurance for myself), I once scored a 710 on the GMATPrep Software so I know it's in me somewhere...I just need to find it and access it officially within a month!

Thank you in advance for any help or guidance you can provide!

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

How to rock the GMAT.

by MartyMurray » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:28 am
You don't need a study plan per se. You more need to plan to strengthen some weaker areas. Understand the following.

In a way it does not matter what you work on as long as whatever you work on will increase your score. Get it?

For instance, if there are six areas of quant that you could be better at and you work on three of them, your quant score should go up. Right?

Also, if you just get much better at RC, your verbal score should go up.

So the thing to do is to go back over your practice tests, if you have not already, and figure out what you could be better at and focus directly on those things.

To score higher in quant probably you need to improve the accuracy of your work some and to get better at handling certain types of questions.

For more detail on how to increase your quant score, you could check out this blog post. How To Increase Your GMAT Quant Score

Your verbal situation sounds like so many I hear about. You know all the "right" ways to handle questions. Guess what. Those "right" ways are good for getting exactly what you have been getting, verbal scores in the mid 30's. For instance, the splits method for SC questions is good some of the time and eliminates the right answer other times. So if you use it, you might feel confident, only to find that you have generated an OK but not great hit rate. Similarly, strategies such as eliminating extreme answer choices to CR and RC questions may be good for getting easier and medium level questions right, but are often almost useless for getting answers to harder questions. So to score higher on the verbal section, you need to go from using the "right" strategies to learning how to actually get RIGHT ANSWERS.

There is a saying out there that says something along the lines of that people who score in the 600's are concerned with how to answer questions and people who score in the 700's are concerned with how to get the right answers.

So to score higher in verbal you need to change the processes that you are using so that you get more right answers.

You only need roughly about a half dozen more right answers, by the way, to get into the low to mid 700's.

To develop those processes, you need to continue doing verbal practice questions, slowly, and shooting for a high hit rate, say 90% right. If you are not getting 90% right doing them slowly, then figure out what about your processes needs to be changed. For any question you miss, ask yourself what you needed to see in terms of logic and details in order to get it right. GMAT verbal is not a test to see whether you learned the right strategies. It's a test of vision and decision making skills.

Meanwhile, you should continue to take practice tests, fresh, not repeated, tests, to put your developing skills to the test and to give yourself venues for practicing accuracy and refining your timing.

A month is plenty of time for getting from 680 to well into the 700's, and by practicing slowly and developing some tighter processes in quant and verbal you should achieve that goal no problem.
Last edited by MartyMurray on Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members

by [email protected] » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:46 am
Hi stillgwan2188,

You've hinted at a few things in your post, but those specific details matter a great deal, so I'm hoping that you can answer a few questions:

1) What is your actual goal score?
2) Since you last took the GMAT in January, what (if any) studying have you done since then?

3) When did you apply to Business School (which Round?)?
4) What School(s) did you apply to?
5) What is your dream School?

With your Scaled Scores on the Official GMAT, you really don't have a major 'weak spot', which means that there are likely a number of little "nitpick" areas that you'd need to improve on in order to raise your Overall Score to a much higher level.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by stillgwan2188 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:31 am
My target score is anywhere +700, but to be specific, I want to be at least in the 720 range. Since January, I have not done much GMAT wise but in the past week or so have began to pick up the pace and begin re familiarizing myself with various concepts.

I am targeting Wharton and applied Round 2 for it, as well as HBS, CBS and NYU. I may have been a bit overly dramatic using the word dream but Wharton was my preferred due to what I believed to be a fit culturally, its location, and personally, me having grown up around the area and having always earmarked it as my ideal [family members also having attended].

I really appreciate both answers. While I understand that there is no quick fix, and to an extent the odds are not in my favor, I'd regret not attempting it again in order to put myself in the best position possible.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:42 am
The GMAT is a test of your math and verbal skills, AND it's a test of your test-taking skills (endurance, time management, anxiety control, etc). In my opinion, 750-level math/verbal skills combined with 650-level test-taking skills will likely result in a score that's closer to 650 than to 750. So, taking practice tests will help you build your test-taking skills AND identify any remaining area(s) of weakness that you can work on.

While CAREFULLY analyzing your practice tests, there are four main types of weakness to watch out for:
1. specific Quant skills/concepts (e.g., algebra, standard deviation, etc.)
2. specific Verbal skills/concepts (e.g., verb tenses, assumption CR questions, etc.)
3. test-taking skills (time management, endurance, anxiety etc.)
4. silly mistakes

For the first two weaknesses, the fix is pretty straightforward. Learn the concept/skill and find some practice questions to strengthen that weakness. To focus on one topic at a time, you can use BTG's tagging feature to isolate one concept. For example, here are all of the questions tagged as statistics questions: https://www.beatthegmat.com/forums/tags/ ... statistics
See the left side of that linked page for more tag options.

If your test-taking skills are holding you back, then you need to work on these. For example, we have a free GMAT time management video at https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gener ... video/1244

Finally, if silly mistakes are hurting your score, then it's important that you identify and categorize these mistakes so that, during tests, you can easily spot situations in which you're prone to making errors. I write about this and other strategies in the following article: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/articles/avo ... teaks-gmat

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members

by [email protected] » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:55 pm
Hi stillgwan2188,

If it's been about 3 months since you've been in 'study mode', we need to get a better sense of how much your GMAT skills may have faded. As such, I highly recommend that you take a new FULL-LENGTH CAT (with the Essay and IR sections). Once you have those scores, you should report back here. Since it's also been over 3 months since the Round 2 deadline, I'd suggest that you confer with an Admissions Expert about how it might look if you submit a new GMAT score now (after the Round 3 deadline). There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/ask-an-mba-a ... t-f40.html

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:56 pm
Hi stillgwan,

Since you took the Mprep course, you're entitled to a free Post-Course Assessment with one of our instructors! (If you haven't signed up for one already). He or she will comb through your Assessment Report & Navigator data, and pinpoint your areas of weakness and what you can do to fix them.

Email our Student Services team at [email protected] or call (800) 576-4628 to set up your session.

Good luck!
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education