Magoosh or Manhattan or both to prepare?

This forum is dedicated to our GMAT Avengers study group. Connect with fellow test takers and stay up-to-date with the latest Avengers' news. Experts are free to contribute in answering questions.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Magoosh or Manhattan or both to prepare?

by ritmathur » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:28 pm
Hi All,

I have purchased the Magoosh premium plan but I find it's lessons less extensive as compared to manhattan.
I was reading here some people advice not to refer multiple books to avoid mix up of strategies. However I am confused as I find manhattan lessons (for verbal atleast) better but mogoosh has a brilliant question bank.:roll

Please help.

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:12 am
Hi ritmathur,

There's nothing wrong with using multiple resources during your studies, but if you're looking for a full study plan, then it would likely be better for you to stick with one plan and work it through to the end (making adjustments as needed).

Since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by ritmathur » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:17 am
Thanks Rich for your support.

I gave one attempt at GMAT in 2013, and somehow in the final week or two I totally went off track due to excess office pressure. I had been practicing through prinston review and scoring in the range of 650-680. I scored extremely bad on the final exam and lost hopes. But I am trying again.

So the pattern is familiar to me. I am brushing up Manhattan and this time I have subscribed for magoosh as well. But I have to buy a hard copy of manhattan to get the online tests. Hence I was wondering if I should pick up their CR or some other book for CR.

My goal score is 650+.
I will be taking the exam in the third week of May and my priority are Indian B schools like ISB Hyderabad, S.P. Jain and also INSEAD Singapore.

PS - CR is my weak zone.

Thanks,
Ritika

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:45 pm
Hi ritmathur,

With your current Test Date plan, you have about 6 weeks of study time, which may or may not be enough for you to hit your score goal. Since it's been several years since you last committed to a long study plan, we can't rely on those past practice scores as an indicator of your current ability. Considering all of this, you should absolutely take a FULL-LENGTH CAT sometime soon. Once you have those scores, you should report back here.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]