Please evaluate my application to Insead

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Please evaluate my application to Insead

by chrisjiang » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:13 am
Hi everyone, I am Chinese went to US college (not top 20, but top 50)...2 months Japan exchange program in college.
Graduated in 2012, joined US mid-cap company(public listed) as associate in mineral department in US. Promoted to analyst in 2013, sent to Peru and Chile for 3 months in 2014, then promoted in 2014 as manager in trade fiance.
Leave the firm in end of 2014, joined Mid-cap Chinese PE as investment manager in CHina, focused on oversea investments, especially in US and Asia, current budget size 100 million USD (2016 assets value) started from 50 million USD (2014 asset value).
Meanwhile, I started my first international trading company in 2010 in college with bare hand, made 100000 in a year. Then I have started several companies ranging from International Trading to tech start-up. Now I am the co founder of one international trading company and one US based manufacturing company(3 million sales), largest in the state in my own sector, which hired about 40 employees.
GMAT 660, Q50 90% V30 58%
Low GPA in college because I spent too much time on business and student clubs... too humiliated to post the number here.But my statistic major GPA is 3.6. My major is top 20 in the US..
Language: Native Chinese, Native English, basic Spanish, 3 years of Japanese in international elementary school.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Edison@VeritasPrep » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:24 pm
Thank you for sharing your profile.

You have strong international exposure, which is something INSEAD greatly values. From what you have mentioned, it seems like you have been given substantial responsibilities, it would help to show how you have performed above the norm in these roles, strong recommendations would greatly help in showing how you compare favorably to peers.

Your entrepreneurial endeavors will also be rich sources of materials to highlight your personal qualities, including the ability to make meaningful connections, and how an MBA would benefit you, and what you can contribute to the experience of your peers.

It would be good to find ways to address potential concerns about your academic potential. The average for INSEAD is around 700, scoring 660 is not bad but does not help in compensating for your "low" GPA. You may want to consider retaking the GMAT, if you think you can improve on it.

Wish you all the best!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!

by Edison@VeritasPrep » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:24 pm
Thank you for sharing your profile.

You have strong international exposure, which is something INSEAD greatly values. From what you have mentioned, it seems like you have been given substantial responsibilities, it would help to show how you have performed above the norm in these roles, strong recommendations would greatly help in showing how you compare favorably to peers.

Your entrepreneurial endeavors will also be rich sources of materials to highlight your personal qualities, including the ability to make meaningful connections, and how an MBA would benefit you, and what you can contribute to the experience of your peers.

It would be good to find ways to address potential concerns about your academic potential. The average for INSEAD is around 700, scoring 660 is not bad but does not help in compensating for your "low" GPA. You may want to consider retaking the GMAT, if you think you can improve on it.

Wish you all the best!

by chrisjiang » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:36 pm
Thank you for your kindly review, Edison.

I am aware of this and plan to retake the GMAT. However, I am in a important oversea project now. Thus, the only way to retake GMAT with decent preparation is 1 month from now. At the time, I would have already submitted the application. Will the INSEAD consider my later score?

Best Regards

by Edison@VeritasPrep » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:01 pm
I believe the old score would be the one they evaluate in that case. However, I do remember an instance when INSEAD admissions specifically asked an applicant to retake the GMAT after reviewing her application package, as they felt this was the week area of her profile. Best to check with INSEAD admissions on this.

It would also be a good idea to include this in your application essays. You can use the optional essay for this, highlighting your academic abilities. You may consider using examples at work or other activities, and state that you are also planning to retake the GMAT.

by chrisjiang » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:12 pm
Thank you so much for your insights. I would certainly do as you advised.

Best Regards.

by Edison@VeritasPrep » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:28 am
Hi Chris,

You are welcome, look forward to your updates.

Wish you all the best!

by chrisjiang » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:08 am
Edison@VeritasPrep wrote:Hi Chris,

You are welcome, look forward to your updates.

Wish you all the best!
Hi Edison,

I got response from INSEAD, dinged but encouraged to reapply with higher gmat. Does this mean that i should reapply for the 2017 sep intakes or I can still reapply the 2017 Jan intakes?

Chris

by Edison@VeritasPrep » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:25 pm
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the update. Wish it would have been a better news but it is encouraging nonetheless that they want you to reapply.

To be sure, it would be best to check with INSEAD admissions, including the deadline for submitting the new GMAT score if they are still considering you for this round. Also, evaluate if you would have enough time to prepare and improve your score.

Wish you all the best and please keep us updated.