Starting with GMAT prep

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Starting with GMAT prep

by vishnupv » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:27 pm
Hi Everyone,

I have finally decided to go for GMAT and took my first practice test yesterday without any preparation. I just wanted to check where do I stand how much should I prepare for a score 720+

Here's my score:
Total score: 660
Quant: 50
Verbal: 31
IR: 7

I guess my score is down due to poor performance in Verbal. Can someone help me with a good plan for the prep? I haven't selected the exam date yet. I can study for 2 hrs during weekdays and 5 hrs in weekends. As of now I'm thinking of a 3 month plan with focus on Verbal only for the first month.

Let me know your suggestions!
Thanks in advance :)
Last edited by vishnupv on Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:57 am
Hi vishnupv,

For an initial Diagnostic CAT, a 660 is a really strong score (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). If you can maintain this level of Quant ability, then you can focus solely on the Verbal; you probably will not need 3 months of study time to improve your skills in that section of the Test, so you could conceivably take the Official GMAT sooner than you might have initially planned.

I have a few questions about this CAT:
1) What "brand" of CAT was it?
2) Did you take the FULL CAT (including the AWA)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by vishnupv » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:19 am
Hi Rich,

Thanks for reaching out!

To your questions:

1) I used the free test from the official GPREP tool
2) I skipped the AWA as I was too eager to start :) Although, now I regret that decision.

I'm thinking of using the MGMAT guides for prep as I love to do the preparations offline. Will I be able to access the 6 free tests with the books even if I purchase from e-retailers like Amazon?

Thanks again for helping out.
Vishnu

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:47 am
Hi vishnupv,

From here on, you're going to want to make your practice as realistic as possible, so you have to put the necessary details into how you take your CATs (including - taking the FULL CAT with the Essay and IR sections, taking it at the same time of day as your Official GMAT, taking it away from your own, etc.).

If you have questions about a particular product, then you might want to contact that company directly and ask (although the product description at Amazon will likely include the necessary information to answer your question).

Rich

by vishnupv » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:06 am
Thanks again Rich.

How many practice CATs do people normally take? I am planning to buy the official pack 1&2. That'll be 10 CATs along with the MGMAT CATs. Do you think that's sufficient?

Best,
Vishnu

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:03 am
Hi Vishnu,

Most Test Takers use at least 4-5 CATs over the course of their studies, but some end up using far more. The truth is that taking a CAT will NOT make you a better Test Taker, but when used correctly, a CAT can provide you with a reasonably accurate score and give you an idea of your strengths and weaknesses (so that you can continue to study and improve). 10 CATs will likely be plenty for your purposes (and you should plan to take 1 FULL CAT every 1-2 weeks).

Rich

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:26 am
The GMAT is a test of your math and verbal skills AND it's a test of your test-taking skills (endurance, time management, anxiety control, etc). In my opinion, 700-level math/verbal skills combined with 500-level test-taking skills will likely result in a score that's closer to 500 than to 700. So, taking practice tests will help you build your test-taking skills AND identify any remaining area(s) of weakness that you can work on.

As far as test-taking skills go, we have free GMAT time management video here https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gener ... video/1244

We also have a free video on combating test anxiety: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gener ... es?id=1252

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by vishnupv » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:52 am
Thank you both :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members

by MartyMurray » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:41 pm
vishnupv wrote:Here's my score:
Total score: 660
Quant: 52
Verbal: 31
Is that quant score correct? As far as I know/knew there is not actually any way to score above 51, and the numbers from 52 to 60 don't get used.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

by vishnupv » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:27 pm
I stand corrected. Updated